F14 ground movement sticky

BoneDust

The F14's movement on the ground or carrier seems sticky. It feels like the brakes are always partially on. I would "think" it should taxi easier than it does with a little less need for power. :thumbup:

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Yeah the ground friction model seems to be way messed up. If you go idle it tends to stop rather abruptly.

Yes, I agree. :thumbup:

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Glad it's not just me. I always assumed I'd left the brakes on (and never bothered to check to see if I could turn them off!).

No, I tested it and there is too much ground friction.

Happens in the F-18, too.

I think it is related to sticking the aircraft to the moving carrier when it is under way - it is messing up the ground handling physics a little.

You'll also see the deck pitching/rolling around the aircraft in rough seas.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

I figured it was correct modeling... Maybe some dev can chime in?

To my mind, on a moving surface you would want to have just a bit of brake pressure so that you don't accidentally roll off the deck when the boat tips.

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

This may be off base, but I'll offer it up. I have the MFG Crosswind brakes/rudders. Works great for the Hornet. But, I also was having a heck of a time taxiing with the Tomcat, expecially on the carrier. It finally dawned on me that the brakes went off when I toe-braked. So, reversed braking on the Crosswinds and voila...taxi's fine. When I switch back to the Hornet, I have to reverse that process.

This may be off base, but I'll offer it up. I have the MFG Crosswind brakes/rudders. Works great for the Hornet. But, I also was having a heck of a time taxiing with the Tomcat, expecially on the carrier. It finally dawned on me that the brakes went off when I toe-braked. So, reversed braking on the Crosswinds and voila...taxi's fine. When I switch back to the Hornet, I have to reverse that process.

If I'm understanding correctly, that's a different issue to the 'Cat sticking to the carrier deck.

Also, if set in DCS, the axis settings are per-aircraft, so you should only need to set the "invert axis" option only once.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

IMHO the ground friction is way to high in DCS.

It always feels like every plane would stick to the ground until it starts to roll. Especially near the cat, it feels like you are driving on glue.

I'm interessted to see how they will handle it when releasing the F-16, as everybody knows that this one starts rolling already on idle thrust...

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

It always feels like every plane would stick to the ground until it starts to roll. Especially near the cat, it feels like you are driving on glue.

I'm interessted to see how they will handle it when releasing the F-16, as everybody knows that this one starts rolling already on idle thrust...

Try 29. It taxis on almost idle.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

If I'm understanding correctly, that's a different issue to the 'Cat sticking to the carrier deck.

Also, if set in DCS, the axis settings are per-aircraft, so you should only need to set the "invert axis" option only once.

Not sure about the per-aircraft options, etc. BoneDust indicated that it felt like the brakes were always partially on. My experience was the same. It felt like the brakes were on, and made it tough to turn a 180 and get lined up on the cat properly. Turns out, the brakes were on, and released only when I hit the toe brakes. After I inverted the brakes on my Crosswinds (via the MFG Crosswind calibration software) the F-14 can now taxi just fine, on the carrier and airbase.

The aircraft bucks and shakes under power when trying to move off on the carrier deck, and clearly requires far too much thrust to get rolling, but then once rolling it seems to behave better. As it slows down it starts to get glued down again though.

This isn't a reversed axis problem, it's clearly the sticky/bouncy deck problem that's been around for ages in various shapes or forms. It's obviously a tough problem to solve, multiplayer probably makes it worse too I would guess? Good luck to them solving it, it would be lovely to have smooth taxiing in these super confined spaces!

Edit to add: When doing the F14 startup tutorial yesterday, for some reason the aircraft taxied as it should! But other times, it's stuck down......weird.

Edited by ARM505

^^^^

This

Every module suffers from it

Not sure if Im the only one experiencing this but try and turn on your control indicator window. (CTRL+ENTER):

When starting up the aircraft my brakes are at 50%. Touching and releasing both toe brakes drops them to 0%. If I try and taxi without touching my toe brakes first, they will remain at 50% and cause terrible ground handling and performance issues.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Not sure if Im the only one experiencing this but try and turn on your control indicator window. (CTRL+ENTER):

When starting up the aircraft my brakes are at 50%. Touching and releasing both toe brakes drops them to 0%. If I try and taxi without touching my toe brakes first, they will remain at 50% and cause terrible ground handling and performance issues.

It's definitely not this. Also occurs when you tap the brakes, come to a stop and then try rolling again. Same issue.

Ok forget what I said earlyer on maybe being by design this is driving my freakin nuts!

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

It looks quite ridiculous really. You advance the throttles to a point where you feel like you should be moving, the whole cockpit shakes violently as if it disintegrates every second but you are still glued to the flight deck. I really wish ED fixed this already, given that, arguably, two DCS flagship modules are suffering from this.

Getting in position to hook up to the cat shuttle is a pain. Running the throttle up, trying to inch forward to get in that extremely narrow 'hitbox' for the U command to actually work, but the plane won't inch forward at all. Then suddenly, with a threshold of about 1% RPM, the thing will lurch so far you have to slam the brakes to avoid overshooting the cat shuttle.

It looks quite ridiculous really. You advance the throttles to a point where you feel like you should be moving, the whole cockpit shakes violently as if it disintegrates every second but you are still glued to the flight deck. I really wish ED fixed this already, given that, arguably, two DCS flagship modules are suffering from this.

But the Hornet a lot less to be quite honest.

+1 Plane is extremely sticky and it slides on the carrier

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5