Using dial axis for radio volume

I’m trying to assign a set of dials on my Virpil throttle to radio volume. They each have an assignable axis but I can’t figure out how to configure in-game as the option isn’t available in the Axis section to assign to the specific radio volume controls I am looking for. I know I can make the dial deliver a number of button presses through the rotation of the axis but I’m looking for the volume dial in-game to mirror the exact position of the physical dial rather than using it to ‘tune’ the volume up and down, having to return it to a central position after. Hope that makes sense, all help greatly appreciated! Tks

The module don't allow this, as you noticed:

"...but I can’t figure out how to configure in-game as the option isn’t available in the Axis section to assign to the specific radio volume controls I am looking for."

Some modules allow, e.g. P-51 allow set a analog axes for "VHF radio volume".

Edited by Sokol1_br

Which module?

It's possible to add axis bindings to all the modules.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

As Sokol stated, ED has not provided axis commands for the A-10C Radio volume controls. However, I think they can be added if you are willing to add a few lines to the .lua file. If you use the VPC throttle, I guess the file to modify is "default.lua". I created just one command for the UHF radio volume to see if that works for you. I tried it and it did turn the volume knob.

You have to open the "default.lua" with the free editor Notepad++ and scroll down to near the bottom of the file, and you will see something like this:

-------------------------------------
axisCommands = {

-- joystick axes 
{combos = defaultDeviceAssignmentFor("roll")    , action = iCommandPlaneRoll, name = _('Roll')},
{combos = defaultDeviceAssignmentFor("pitch")    , action = iCommandPlanePitch, name = _('Pitch')},
{combos = defaultDeviceAssignmentFor("rudder")    ,  action = iCommandPlaneRudder, name = _('Rudder')},
{combos = defaultDeviceAssignmentFor("thrust")    , action = iCommandPlaneThrustCommon, name = _('Throttle Both')},

Below the line that reads "axisCommands = {" please insert the following line:

{action = 3011, cockpit_device_id  = 54, name = _('UHF Radio Volume Axis'), category = _('Radio Volumes')},

Then save the file and launch DCS World, and go to Options/Controls, and bind the new command "UHF Radio Volume Axis" to one of your sliders. You may have to invert the axis.

Then start a mission and test. Note: On my rig, I could only turn the knob from the middle to the right. It might be necessary to add a curve to get full rotation range.

If this works for you I can create volume commands for VHF AM and FM volume.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

But for what OP want control with axis: "radio volume"?

A-10 axes assignment:

-snip-

This plane allow:

I'm aware it's not there by default, but is possible to add any clickable cockpit button or knob to the binding list, as LeCuvier has shown before I was able to get around to it. Do note you will need to make this a mod and apply it after every update, otherwise it will be deleted.

I made a video a while back explaining how to add missing keybinds, the process for adding missing axes is very similar as well.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I fiddled a bit more and it works here. You need a user curve that goes from 100 down to 50 in steps of 5. Do not invert the axis!

As the attached screen shot shows, the resulting curve "jumps" at its extremes. Therefore you should not set your slider to one of the extremes. It's unfortunate we have to jump through these hoops. ED hasn't done a nice job there. I have the same situation with the Bf-109K trim wheel axis.

PS: I had posted a "how-to" document about creating commands:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2862001&postcount=214

I should probably add a paragraph on adding axis commands.

UHF_Volume_Axis.jpg.097767e4b94fced42732018f7c83624e.jpg

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

That's indicating your not getting full amplitude of control??

If so with slider enabled, use dead zone and X saturation to set start and end values, it should work as advertised. You will need to set dead zone and X saturation if you change 'invert" state.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

That's indicating your not getting full amplitude of control??

If so with slider enabled, use dead zone and X saturation to set start and end values, it should work as advertised. You will need to set dead zone and X saturation if you change 'invert" state.

That's a lot simpler than my curve! And it's better as it doesn't jump at the extremes. I ticked Slider and Invert, and set Saturation Y = 50. Nothing else.

Works like a charm. Thanks!

UHF_Volume_Axis_Tune.jpg.19f9205ea3439efe2ef9414ca703cdfb.jpg

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

@FragBum: I tried to use your method to replace the curve for the Bf-109K4 trim axis, but was not successful. Can you figure it out?

Trim_Axis_Curve.jpg.f1f84d6061f5bdb56d79b057cd322cd7.jpg

LeCuvier

@Gatchaman: I have also added axis commands for the VHF AM and FM radio volume. They require the same axis tuning as the UHF.

Below are all 3 axis additions.

{action = 3011, cockpit_device_id  = 54, name = _('UHF Radio Volume Axis'), category = _('Radio Volumes')},
{action = 3005, cockpit_device_id  = 55, name = _('VHF AM Radio Volume Axis'), category = _('Radio Volumes')},
{action = 3005, cockpit_device_id  = 56, name = _('VHF FM Radio Volume Axis'), category = _('Radio Volumes')},

LeCuvier

Gentlemen thank you, have implemented and have assigned the axis as per your guidance. I have full axis rotation with your exact settings for Y saturation, slider and invert selected. The issue I have is that the control is reversed, so when I turn up the volume on the dial, the volume reduces in-game. Quick Q - when you jump into the pit for the first time and turn on your radio, are your radio volumes at the highest volume setting on the dial or the lowest? i.e do you have to turn the volume up to hear the radio? My radios are always at the highest volume, it has been this way even before I made these recent changes, I turn down the volume on each channel when I start up to select the desired volume.

To be honest, I never touched the radio volume settings before this exercise, and I don't even look at them. The only volume I turn down sometimes is the ILS because the beeping distracts me.

I hope you can invert the radio volume settings using the tune parameters. Worst case you might have to set curves.

LeCuvier

Okay try this when in slider mode dead zone controls the top offset and saturation X the lower offset. Effectively I have about 1/3 of control voltage input but using this gives me full control range for the input into DCS. :)

This might help. Video link here. :thumbup:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

@FragBum: we need it to look like the curve in my post #13 but without the discontinuity at the left. If you can figure that out without using a curve then that would help.

LeCuvier

What are you using to generate the input a potentiometer?

And you want the input to start at a set leve and go upl?

What are you using to generate the input a potentiometer?

And you want the input to start at a set leve and go upl?

I'm using the slider on my TM WH throttle. The slider works ok over its full range and when I bind it to the trim axis the "Tune" screen shows that it produces its full signal range. The problem is that some axis commands in DCS World ignore the lower part of the axis signal. For the Bf-109K trim axis it ignores the lower 33%, and for the A-10C radio volume axes it ignores the lower 50%. I have created the curve shown in post #13 and that works fine.

However, I cannot reproduce that curve using saturation and deadband settings as you suggest. That's the challenge on hand.

LeCuvier

Sorry I may have misunderstood the transfer curve, using the dead zone and X saturation allow me to use HALL effect devices which do not provide the necessary full input range. They only provide from 0.8V to 4.3V so I need to use the settings I used to gain full operating range.

Interesting how the inputs only use that limited range, maybe because they are based on key/button inputs. Is this something that can be changed in software? Is there a way to define the input range?

The problem I found in trying to set the transfer curve was in providing an offset for the starting point as you did with user curves, Y saturation seems like it can provide the transfer curve but it needs someway of offsetting the start point.

For me I'd put a resistor in series with the pot so input voltage starts at the required voltage (33% or 50%) and the pot would provide an output from the desired start point to max. But! The problem is, as you say different aircraft seem to have a different starting point. Or maybe use a Leo Bodnar or similar USB interface and rotary encodes.

I'll ponder over that.

If I were building a sim pit I would simply swap pot connections. But I will not open my WH throttle and tamper with the circuit. Setting a curve is easier.

LeCuvier

So can I ask a question, on the F-18 the bleed air seems to be a 4 position encoder that can turn 360 and the INS is an 8 position encoder that can turn 360.

Do these exist outside of the military spec components?

a quick search showed all kinds of commercially available multi-position switches. But the bleed air switch, according to the "default.lua", also has a "pull"-actuated contact and that might be a bit more difficult to find. I'm not a sim pit builder so not really competent.

LeCuvier