When does the Phoenix go pitbill?

Red_Donkey

Aim 54 goes pitbull when WCS commands it too. Usually when it's about 7Mi from target in TWS Auto. If you break lock before it will go dumb as it hasn't received command to go active.

You can also use ACM cover or PD ACT switch in rear cockpit to fire it active off the rail but this is more for ACM then long range shots.

Rig: 5960X @ 4.5GHZ 32GB 3000Mhz DDR4 Titan XP Dell 3415W 21:9 Thrustmaster Warthog

Shouldn't the countdown next to the target blink when it goes active? Never seen that, maybe a bug?

This morning I ripple fired AIM-54s at some F-4s. After awhile, the countdown and icon started blinking. I watched the missile in F6 view and it hit. So I *think* that is when it goes pitbull...?

I also launched against another F-4 with ACM mode at something like 7 miles and I was surprised that the missile killed him. I didn't think it was that maneuverable at close range.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

The thing is that the AIM-54 is so fast that it doesn't need to lead the target flight path that much.

So even if you maneuver, the missile doesn't need to make huge correction.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

The manual says, that in TWS the countodwn on the TID starts blinking on pitbull, but I haven't seen that happening so far. :dunno:

And how about STT? Any pitbull indication there?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It blinked for me. I wish I had video to show that, maybe later tonight I will.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

There's currently no indication of pitbull on the TID screen, if the whole target blinks that's an indication of the target approaching optimum range.

The numbers blinking for active will be introduced later on during EA depending on a couple of other factors.

There's currently no indication of pitbull on the TID screen, if the whole target blinks that's an indication of the target approaching optimum range.

The numbers blinking for active will be introduced later on during EA depending on a couple of other factors.

Does it go active on WCS command like described in the manual or on its own like others Fox 3 in game ?

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Thanks for the information. :thumbup:

I think it would deserve a note in the manual when current simulation depart from how it’s supposed to be because of DCS limitations (I totally understand that sometimes current DCS prevent you from doing what you want).

Reading the manual I really thought the Tomcat was already commanding the active mode of the Phoenix, and it seems I wasn’t alone.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

What's the criteria for the missile to go active? TTI? Time after launch? Missile within a certain range from target? AWG dropped the track file? Just wondering so I have some indication of when I can drop a lock.

What's the criteria for the missile to go active? TTI? Time after launch? Missile within a certain range from target? AWG dropped the track file? Just wondering so I have some indication of when I can drop a lock.

The 'criteria' is the missile being launched!

Was just watching some playbacks of engagements on TacView and the instant I launched 2 PH at 2 seperate targets in TWS, they immediately started going defensive and dropping chaff - at around 45nm away...

Easily repeatable with any PH launch.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Was just watching some playbacks of engagements on TacView and the instant I launched 2 PH at 2 seperate targets in TWS, they immediately started going defensive and dropping chaff - at around 45nm away...

Interesting! Thank you very much.

Is that against AI or humans? The AI are omnipresent and always know when a missile has been launched at them.

• 6 months later...

Has this been implemented yet? Would be really nice to know when you can manouver off target...

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

No.

Right now the AIM 54 its a fire and forget weapon.

What!? Ok, I did not know this. So, I can fire Phoenixes and turn cold right away?

What an awful, and insanely useful, bit of information. :music_whistling:

Edited by chrisofsweden

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

What!? Ok, I did not know this. So, I can fire Phoenixes and turn cold right away?

What an awful, and insanely useful, bit of information. :music_whistling:

It took a while for HB to get access to the missile code to be able to realistically simulate the Phoenix guidance, but now they have it and are at it:

AIM-54
We’re pleased to note that we’re finally able to use the new missile API to control the AIM-54 active mode from the F-14!

These changes are currently live in our experimental build branches, and we are currently testing to ensure that everything works as it should. Here is a brief summary of what these changes include. We’ll delve into more depth once this feature is ready to ship:

• TWS with range >10NM:
    LTE 3s, loft, SARH/DL, missile goes active at 16 seconds time-to-impact

• PDSTT with range >10NM:
    LTE 3s, loft, SARH/DL, missile does not go active (SARH/DL all the way to target)

• TWS or PDSTT with range <10NM, or PH ACT selected:
    LTE 3s, no loft, active directly after launch

• PSTT or BRSIT or (ACM cover up with no track or PSTT or PDSTT):
    LTE 1s (unless STT and angle >15deg then 3s), no loft, active immediately

This also means the in-flight missiles with TWS will no longer go active if tracking is lost, the F-14 is destroyed, the radar is disabled (..etc), before 16s TTI. However, the WCS can keep a track file stored for up to 2 minutes (for targets under missile attack) and send an active signal to the Phoenix pointing it into the target’s likely position, if the track has not updated for a certain time.

We’ll continue testing the Phoenix and ensuring that it behaves as accurately to the real thing as possible.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

LTE=Launch Time Elapsed? DL=datalink?

When the missile does go active, what will be the indicator? Just seeing the countdown hit 16 seconds to go? or will there be something lese like blinking cursors or anything like that?

v6,

boNes

LTE=Launch Time Elapsed? DL=datalink?

DL is indeed data link. I'm not sure about LTE.

When the missile does go active, what will be the indicator? Just seeing the countdown hit 16 seconds to go? or will there be something lese like blinking cursors or anything like that?

The TTI (Time To Impact) will start blinking: http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/weapons.html#tws

After missile launch the prioritisation numbers on the right side of the targeted tracks are replaced with the TTI or Time to Impact number, showing calculated time until missile hits the target. Additionally when the AN/AWG-9 have sent the active command to the missile the TTI numbers blink, indicating that the missile targeting the track has been commanded to active mode.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg