TrackIR limits for the Spitfire Cockpit

Anyone been able to successfully apply a trackIR profile that will actually keep the pilot head within the cockpit canopy of the spitfire?

I find that, with the canopy closed, my head is able to mis-align quite readily through the canopy so that half my screen is "inside" the cockpit" and half is "outside".

This makes dogfighting in particular very frustrating due to the constant interruption of the"clear" canopy-less world slicing into and out of view.

Edited by philstyle

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

I cannot get my head outside the canopy on the stable release even if I stand up.

The camera end of my track IR is 2 feet above my head and about 5 feet away from me which is the best location I have found for my trackIR.

My curves only slow things down or smooth it but I didn't change any limits at all at either end.

All the Track IR entries in the DCS Controls section Axis are kept stock with no DCS curves other than stock. I.E. In DCS World axis curves they are all 0, 100, 100, 0

I have attached my profile that I use for everything.

Depending on your mounting locations and perhaps errant mods or beta troubles, This profile may not be the best for yourself.

It is absolutely perfect for myself in the Spitfire LF MK IX running the latest stable release Mar 28 2019 in DCS World

The distance away from the camera will change the arc and it could get nasty.

I am not convinced the limits at the ends of pitch and yaw are necessary or beneficial.

DCS seems to take care of all that.

It took me a while to find the new storage location of my Track IR profiles.

To help others, they are now stored in:

C:\users\(computer name)\AppData\Roaming\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\Profiles

The Track IR manual does not reflect this change.

Thanks for making me find that.

Unhide files to find it.

I use no MODS nor VR

mine.zip

Edited by DeepDrummer
More info

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

Anyone been able to successfully apply a trackIR profile that will actually keep the pilot head within the cockpit canopy of the spitfire?

I find that, with the canopy closed, my head is able to mis-aling through the canopy so that half my screen is "inside" the cockpit" and half is "outside".

This makes dogfighting in particular very frustrating due to the constant interruption of the"clear" canopy-less world slicing into and out of view.

I highly doubt your gonna find this, it’s one of ED’s quirks. It’s the same in VR, I can easily stick my head out of the canopy while looking around. You may have to work with your track ir curves to reduce the settings that are causing it to get wonky. It’s a bit annoying, but I find it better then artificial limits that the (cough cough) the other sim has for Vr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I find that, with the canopy closed, my head is able to mis-align quite readily through the canopy so that half my screen is "inside" the cockpit" and half is "outside".

It can be done with the Track-IR software - you just need to dial in a hard limit in whichever plane (x,y,z,etc) is causing the 'break-through'.

It seems to definitely be DCS that is limiting my personal limits and it is what is keeping me locked in. I can go far beyond the DCS limit when I just look at the calibration screen in Track IR using the same profile.

I'd give it a go Mod free with the default DCS curve for the track IR. Start there.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

I don't mean to play devil's advocate but I think you should keep digging.

With Trueview off, your translation axis doesn't rotate with it.

Look out over a wing and slide your head right and left. Nothing.

With Trueview on, turn your head and look out over the wing and slide your head side to side.

The view will follow your head. No turning but side to side.

I find true view much more realistic, especially when looking for little switches. It's just more natural to me.

Think there is no need of changing the head tracking profile, it needs to be fixed by the developers. Happens in P 51, Tomcat and Viggen too. Most aircraft don't allow head outside canopy glass. It is simply a bug that occured in one of the last updates.