Missile Speed Gate Knob?

blklobo

This is my memory, and it's 28 years old so it could be faulty... when your Continuous Wave Illuminator has failed (tested in BIT sequence 3), you would choose to launch the Sparrow in SP PD to home off the AWG-9 frequency. When homing off the AWG-9 transmitter channel, the missile speed gate selection will aid the Sparrow in detecting the target that is in the main lobe of the AWG-9, and not go chasing reflected side lobe energy. It narrows down the doppler filter range of the Sparrow so it will only chase what you want it to chase (at the time of launch).

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

Yea it's not in the regular one it will be in the restricted one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

• 2 weeks later...
This is my memory, and it's 28 years old so it could be faulty... when your Continuous Wave Illuminator has failed (tested in BIT sequence 3), you would choose to launch the Sparrow in SP PD to home off the AWG-9 frequency. When homing off the AWG-9 transmitter channel, the missile speed gate selection will aid the Sparrow in detecting the target that is in the main lobe of the AWG-9, and not go chasing reflected side lobe energy. It narrows down the doppler filter range of the Sparrow so it will only chase what you want it to chase (at the time of launch).

Hi!

Can you help me sort out something please? You seem the person who is capable :)

We did a little test . Hornet vs Tomcat, all flown by client. The hornet was the "target", the Tomcat was the shooter. I was curious if you shoot an AIM-7 in PD mode, will the CW warning light (in addition to the 'AI') in the hornet illuminate. It did. If it should not, and corrected in game, than it can be a useful information for the defending aircraft, what defensive technique to employ.

My question is, how pulse mode and CW relates to each other? How should this play out? And if I launch in SP PD mode, the radar should use a doppler mode guidance for the AIM-7, is that correct?

Thanks for answering!

[sIGPIC]http://www.forum.lockon.ru/signaturepics/sigpic5279_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I could shot down a Kitchen :smartass:

If one twt is down then you can't lock and CW as you only have one. PD mode is for that situation so there should be no CW warning as the radar is incapable of transmitting CW.

My understanding is that it's a degraded mode as guidance is not as robust. It's DCS tho so I have no idea what is currently replicated.

Having a single twt is unlikely to be in DCS.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Agreed, and to tag on to the question above, if you launch in PSTT you will be using CW regardless of switch position. If you launch in PD you will be using CW in NORM and PD in SP PD. With the switch in SP PD, it disables tuning of the AIM-7 to the CW missile channel, so it basically forces the missile into PD when it otherwise would be using CW in a PDSTT.

All that being said, I think HB said in a different thread that CW Illumination is not implemented yet.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

I recall reading in one of the technical pubs that there was a technique with an umbilical pin that was unused with the AIM-7F (since it didn't require a certain signal the 7E did) to force PD function when loading, either by leaving it open or grounding it. Would that have been done on something like a jet with a known down horn to eliminate the chance of failure in combat situation, so the RIO would simply key for SP PD and leave it?

I haven’t heard of that one, we didn’t do anything like that. I seem to remember there were different wafers (the sacrificial male-male connector that laid between the aircraft umbilical and the missile’s connector) for different missiles. There were red ones and green ones. I think they were used based on specific models of missiles, and maybe that’s what you’re reading about.

They definitely weren’t based on aircraft status. Us avionics guys would have been involved in the wafer selection if they were, and we weren’t.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME