DCS Carrier Discussion

Airhunter

In programming, the logic in handling this type of activity can get really messy. I can understand why they did it this way. You still have control as to where you spawn. You just don't have an UI interface to select it.
There is even to consider that in Multiplayer clients can re-spawn, or new players spawn late etc.

Even in Singleplayer AI may need to spawn and start late into the mission and should populate the deck or do a mission task, yet not simply start midair. On top of that you can have AI landing and blocking spots until they are under deck and free the elevators, again.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Just need to place them in order of spawn, or delay the client/player spawns by a couple seconds. The sequence used to spawn is in the Supercarrier manual. 1-4 Six-pack, only on first spawn/mission start. Then the elevators, and so on. Set AI planes 1 to 4 to spawn normal. Player group or clients 3 to 5 seconds delayed and then more AI planes after another delay of 1 to 2 seconds until the deck is occupied. Spawn uncontrolled AI and use triggered action "Start" to have them spool up and launch at different times before or after player/client launches or deactivate them when more client "units are alive" to free up spawn slots for multiplayer on the fly...

I’m sorry, but I don’t see your point. I understand if you place groups in a certain order, you can estimate where you spawn. Again, that’s not giving the user full control of where a unit will spawn at what spawn point without the need for static objects to manipulate logic. Even if the argument is, “well it will create problems anyways” is severely lacking because, guess what.... it already has problems as it is with AI taxiing and collisions that can be avoided simply by allowing us to choose where to spawn to avoid the AI troubles in the first place and still have a carrier that is very much alive. MP and SP are not the same circumstances. I can see the issue of picking a spawn point that is currently occupied or not knowing if or where an AI group would be on the deck. But, with understanding the logic we currently have of not blocking elevators, perhaps allowing the server to direct clients where to park or when cleared to what catapult.

Anyways, I really hope this won’t remain the status quo. It’s EA. Who knows what may come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

System slow down

Ever since updating with stable 2.5.6 and getting SC, my system is crazy slow to load and now crashes about every second or third mission I try. Anyone else experiencing this change in performance after updating to stable 2.5.6?

I'm not experiencing crashes, initial DCS start-up is longer (but roughly as stable as the last 2.5.5 stable build).

In terms of performance, it's generally worse, but only by a small amount, my RAM usage is kinda hitting the limit, but so far this isn't causing too many problems if I'm conservative with mission editing.

Over water, I noticed that performance can actually be a little better (though by a small amount).

The key outlier is the Supercarrier, which has pretty bad performance on the deck. So far I've tested with only a single player Hornet/Tomcat + minimal statics (3 static F/A-18C Lot 20s, 1x Static S-3B, 1x static SH-60B, 1x AS32A-31A, 3x AS32A-32A, 1x AS32A-P-25). With the Hornet there's severely diminished performance, kinda clings to the margin of playable. With the Tomcat, it's worse, to the point where I'd almost call it unplayable.

EDIT: While performance is noticeably worse, unplayable was overly harsh - it's definitely workable, but is significantly worse than anything else.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Thanks Lunatic. I flew a mission yesterday and while everything took a while to load, it didn't crash. It even takes a long time to exit. So weird.

I was thinking of getting the F-14. Is it worth it or would you recommend waiting until it is more stable? Still having fun with the Bug, crashing and slow loading aside, but using some isolation time in flight school learning the big jet could help pass the time, and keep me sane.

The F-14 is an absolutely blast regardless of the Supercarrier (even if you are missing out on a party trick or 2) what I will say is that once you're off the deck the performance quickly goes back to being fairly decent.

Please keep in mind my system specs down below, and that my settings are probably set a wee bit too high than maybe they should be (though for me I get perfectly acceptable performance on light missions so long as I don't have too many units in the same general area).

It is literally only on the deck of the Supercarrier where I run into a big performance hit. Mind you, loading it in the modelviewer is just like anything else - no performance hit to speak of...

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

If I own SC and spawn a Tomcat on the deck, can a RIO who does not have SC join me before I take off ? Or can he only join me after I take off ?

Kind regards,

Vince

PC:

i5-7300HQ@2,5GHz | nVidia GTX 1050 Ti | 8Gb RAM | 256GB SSD for Windows+DCS | Windows10

Modules:

Mirage2000C | AV-8B N/A | MiG-21Bis | F-5E | L-39 | Gazelle | FC3

Combined Arms | Supercarrier

NTTR | Persian Gulf

I had loads of fun with the Tomcat as it's simply the best module in DCS, even before the Supercarrier came out.

Just like with the Hornet, the Supercarrier adds an exponent on the immersion factor, especially as ED put in the correct wing spread animation (and hopefully will replace the launch arm with the appropriate kneel gesture for the Tomcat one of the days).

I am still hoping to see animated air and power carts, some of the red skittles carrying up a generic ammo cart up as you load, even if we don't need specific animations of the exact weaponry, though generics of the basic types (Sidewinder, Mk82 , etc) should be more than doable along with the grapes hooking up some fuel hoses.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

I am still hoping to see animated air and power carts, some of the red skittles carrying up a generic ammo cart up as you load, even if we don't need specific animations of the exact weaponry, though generics of the basic types (Sidewinder, Mk82 , etc) should be more than doable along with the grapes hooking up some fuel hoses.

From testing in the modelviewer, all of the deck equipment (the pushbacks, the fire truck, and the mobile crane) all are fully animated. So maybe they'll be able to drive around on the deck at some point.

I would agree that it would be great if we could get a ground power unit and a starter-air unit.

When it comes to weapons ED unfortunately has no plans for anything animated, due to an unfeasible workload.

Also, AFAIK, it's difficult to do anything specific because weapons appear to be transported on a pallet/trailer where the weapon is clearly visible. There's the other problem in that none of the hatches/lifts for weapons are animated at all. I guess they could make a few of these pallets, but have them empty, or maybe have the ability to carry ordnance as if it were a pylon on an aircraft, and just use the loadout editor.

Here's a load of weapons, mounted on trailers, on the USS Theodore Roosevelt:

US_Navy_030329-N-6410T-502_Aviation_Ordnance_personnel_from_Carrier_Air_Wing_Eight_%28CVW-8%29_and_USS_Theodore_Roosevelt_%28CVN_71%29_discuss_distribution_of_ordnance_on_the_ship%27s_flight_deck.jpg

And another shot, showing more of what one of the trailers looks like:

us-sailors-transport-ordnance-on-the-flight-deck-aboard-the-us-navy-JHWERK.jpg

There are several other small hatches with equipment mounted on their underside, these also aren't animated.

old2.jpg

I would however like to see a couple of more vehicles added, such as the aforementioned ground power unit and starter-air for the F-14B, maybe Heatblur will do them for their carrier.

Edited by Northstar98

System:

• 2 weeks later...
Is there any information available yet what features to expect for the Arleigh Burke and when they will be implemented? The current manual doesn't say anything about it atm.

None, though I hope that changes in the future...

Mind you the current Arleigh-Burke is a weird one. It's an early Flt.IIA with 2 Phalanx CIWS systems, which had only a limited production run of only 4 ships.

However, the current texture given to it is DDG-112, the USS Michael Murphy - which is one of the later Flt.IIAs (far more expansive production run) which, like all the other Flt.IIA (late) ships has only the 1 Phalanx to the rear.

Also the USS Michael Murphy is a ship commissioned in 2012, it should have access to at least the RIM-162 ESSM (entered service 2004) and the RUM-139 VL-ASROC (once submarines are a little more mature). There's also the RIM-174A/SM-6 Standard ERAM (entered service 2013). I'll leave the SM-3 (entered service 2014) as we kinda lack the targets for it.

Edited by Northstar98

System:

We are using the SC in our squadron operations but while it brings a tone of nice things and improvements we are not happy with the actual ATC /MARSHALL/LSO.

Previously we were using Alerax script and while quite demanding and sometimes simply stopped working, that script managed the aircraft flow nicely moving aircraft out of the stack in a good flow and managing stack altitiudes properly.

Now there is no such marshall control and the actual script will keep all aircraft in the stack asl long as the previous aircarft has not fully landed.

In a package that just returns from a combat sortie and that is not in excedance of fuel that is not acceptable.

The ATC should manage the marshall stack better, same as the Wave off traffic. Even with good pilots, no WO or bolters, it takes ages to recover 10 planes coming from a sortie. We do not simply have the fuel to make orbits as it is designed now.

I wonder if some of the naval oriented squadrons have found a solution for this.

We are considering going back to the Alerax script if this is not sorted out.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't heard anything about the SC since release. Are the new features on hold as well?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

• 1 month later...
Hi guys, is there a ready template from mission editor for SC (which contains all stuffs-personal, machines, aircrafts). Because its boring to put it every time again and again when you create a mission.
First google result of "DCS Supercarrier template", that ist a bit more complex, but if you only need a static template you can simply create your own template and save it with the "Static Templates"Option in ME.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/de/files/3309905/

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

General question:

Did someone post some sort of script when the SC first came out that allowed you to use the comm menu to generate different variations of static aircraft on the deck? So at mission start you could configure the deck for a launch with static aircraft, then re-spot it for landing through the comms menu before returning. I swear I saw a post about something like that but haven't been able to find it.

General question:

Did someone post some sort of script when the SC first came out that allowed you to use the comm menu to generate different variations of static aircraft on the deck? So at mission start you could configure the deck for a launch with static aircraft, then re-spot it for landing through the comms menu before returning. I swear I saw a post about something like that but haven't been able to find it.

Redkite i believe.

Here you go.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309905/

And instructions

General question:

Two posts above yours... ;)

EDIT sniped by chase...

Shagrat

Haven't heard anything about the SC since release. Are the new features on hold as well?

+1

Its basically all the bits and bops that would truly separate the Super Carrier module from the ordinary Stennis, that are missing.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |