Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this is great news. No need for vulkan now.:lol:

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Wow this is great news. No need for vulkan now.:lol:

Stop that ! :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Can anyone explain in layperson’s terms what the difference between these terrain fixes and a potential Vulcan api are?

Not to be too sceptical of Wags but I’m confused. If it’s been a terrain issue in large part then should we not have expected excellent performance in Bluewater territory?

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Can anyone explain in layperson’s terms what the difference between these terrain fixes and a potential Vulcan api are?

Not to be too sceptical of Wags but I’m confused. If it’s been a terrain issue in large part then should we not have expected excellent performance in Bluewater territory?

do you notice any difference between flying over the earth instead of flying over the water in vr?

What great timing, thanks Wags/ED. I've been constantly upgrading my VR units, first the Vives/Rifts, then to the Odyssey, then the Vive Pro/Odyssey+, now the Pimax5k...Cannot WAIT for the new upcoming VR units now with this news.

Hopefully this new performance increase courtesy of Wags/ED will have a good impact on the FPS/capability of new units like the HP one etc.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I'm wondering what the effects will be cpu vs gpu . Will this take my 1070 to 2080 passmark or my 6500 to stock-clock 9900k performance ? I'll take either of the these :) But as the answer will impact my upgrading plans , i would like to know...

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

It would seem that since the terrain engine is affecting VR performance specifically, it is introducing latency in GPU rendering of the binocular view of the two screens. This has badly affected performance.

Vulkan allows the game to utilise all cores of a CPU instead of just one (and a bit for audio on another core). If you have a quad core CPU, this will effectively use the currently redundant cores giving a huge increase in computational power, reducing lag and allowing all the bells and whistles to be turned up right to the full capability of the GPU.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

My guess is that terrain is still rendered underwater, even if not visible to the player.

It would seem that since the terrain engine is affecting VR performance specifically, it is introducing latency in GPU rendering of the binocular view of the two screens. This has badly affected performance.

Vulkan allows the game to utilise all cores of a CPU instead of just one (and a bit for audio on another core). If you have a quad core CPU, this will effectively use the currently redundant cores giving a huge increase in computational power, reducing lag and allowing all the bells and whistles to be turned up right to the full capability of the GPU.

Ok but this is a terrain fix only at this stage AFAIK. Can we imply that Vulcan is likely to come later?

I’m currently only pushing a CV1 off a 2080ti there is no problems worth worrying about but there is more likely to be on one of the newer HMD’s even with this shader mod, I guess?

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

My guess is that terrain is still rendered underwater, even if not visible to the player.

I haven't really been keeping up with all of the developments in DCS along the way, but at one time, the water was the base layer of the terrain engine. Not sure if that's still true.

As far as Vulkan goes, we've all seen that subject discussed on these forums for years and it hasn't been implemented yet. My guess on that would be that in this particular application, its not being found to yield a big enough performance increase to warrant further development and implementation, with all of the risks associated with a major programming change.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The vulcan is best explained with the AMD own representation:

If we can see a 50% improvement at the best, and then 15-20% at the normal situation, that even would be great.

Like think that there are people who fall below 45 FPS (even less who reach the 90 FPS) and gets like a 30-32 FPS. For them the 50% increment means they will reach that 45 FPS, a totally smooth VR experience without some odd warping at some positions.

Now if the vulkan is there to assist that even more, so we can use more of our CPU, and as DCS is very CPU heavy, we could expect to see more likeness less stuttering in missions with a lot of AI units.

And if we can expect to see other VR improvements in the hardware, like now the VR doesn't support SLI, a dual 3D cards rendering. But if we could get a change to see a SLI support where each eye is drawn by a own dedicated 3D card? That could be crazy improvement. No need to buy then expensive 1000€ 3D cards but you could really well get along with a two 200-300€ cards as you would get around 70-130 FPS at full HD, so easily meet the 45 FPS for both eyes.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

That I think would be odd, as even at the end of 90's the new graphical features (don't now recall the name of tech) was that only a visible mesh and textures were rendered, and this allowed a 16 MB 3D cards (like Riva TNT) to perform excellent manner when workload was heavily cut as unseen parts were not drawn at all behind other models.

So why would there be even a water modeled under a terrain, that is invisible to begin with?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

So why would there be even a water modeled under a terrain, that is invisible to begin with?

Beats me, but I took a couple of plunges off the edge of the carrier with the Tomcat, and the sea bottom was visible all around for miles...

Very clear "water" btw smartass.gif

also water "seems" to be modelled under the land as well...or at least it is rendered first, I dont know if it is updated after the land overlays it...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Ok but this is a terrain fix only at this stage AFAIK. Can we imply that Vulcan is likely to come later?

I’m currently only pushing a CV1 off a 2080ti there is no problems worth worrying about but there is more likely to be on one of the newer HMD’s even with this shader mod, I guess?

It is a terrain engine fix. The terrain engine can be thought of as similar to the mission editor we plebs use. It allows the user to input terrain features, it is not the terrain itself, it is the underlying program that oversees stuff like scale, speed over ground and pretty much everything you see.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

It is a terrain engine fix. The terrain engine can be thought of as similar to the mission editor we plebs use. It allows the user to input terrain features, it is not the terrain itself, it is the underlying program that oversees stuff like scale, speed over ground and pretty much everything you see.

Ok, I see. I guess we’ll find out more soon in any case. The proof will be in the pudding and perhaps Vulcan will not be relevant for a while. Appreciate your help.

Some nice VR Improvement coming!

Vulkan allows the game to utilise all cores of a CPU instead of just one (and a bit for audio on another core). If you have a quad core CPU, this will effectively use the currently redundant cores

if everything can be split between the cpu cores, are looking at a 400% increase with old processors and 800+% for some of the newer cpu’s?

This is good news! Thanks Wags!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

if everything can be split between the cpu cores, are looking at a 400% increase with old processors and 800+% for some of the newer cpu’s?

That seems an unlikely expectation:

- ED would have to be 100% efficient in their re-architecture of their code base, at a theoretical level

- the operating system is still doing "things"... so that will take cycles away from Ed's code

- cpu thread movement is rarely 100% efficient

- as the cpu is being loaded more effectively, it is more likely to produce thermal throttling on the cpu, and similarly on the more effectively loaded GPU

as a result I would be ecstatic with 100% real world improvement, but I suspect 80% is more likely on a four physical core cpu, with reducing returns for 6 an 8 cores, my guess is max 120% and 130% over what we have today... (not including any code optimisations that Wags was talking about in this thread) … my 0.02$

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

That seems an unlikely expectation:

- ED would have to be 100% efficient in their re-architecture of their code base, at a theoretical level

- the operating system is still doing "things"... so that will take cycles away from Ed's code

- cpu thread movement is rarely 100% efficient

- as the cpu is being loaded more effectively, it is more likely to produce thermal throttling on the cpu, and similarly on the more effectively loaded GPU

as a result I would be ecstatic with 100% real world improvement, but I suspect 80% is more likely on a four physical core cpu, with reducing returns for 6 an 8 cores, my guess is max 120% and 130% over what we have today... (not including any code optimisations that Wags was talking about in this thread) … my 0.02$[/quote

Well i think that Matt did not mention a false prediction. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

one of the reasons vulkan is more performant is no more locking and synchronizing in dx11.

but, we sometimes forget that locking and synchronizing still needs to happen... the difference is that the game app gets to do al the work instead of dx11.

i would be surprised if we get much more than a 50% bump in FPS over dx11.

one of the reasons vulkan is more performant is no more locking and synchronizing in dx11.

but, we sometimes forget that locking and synchronizing still needs to happen... the difference is that the game app gets to do al the work instead of dx11.

i would be surprised if we get much more than a 50% bump in FPS over dx11.

Sounds like a good start, I’m pretty happy. I’m guessing we’ll need it for the Reverb, Cosmos, Pimax and whatever else may come out this year.