Some nice VR Improvement coming!

dburne

Hopefully this will address the performance issues caused by the TGP in the A-10C as well. That has been the source of most of my headaches with VR performance. Every aircraft I have tried in VR, including the A-10C runs smoothly in VR at my settings, but as soon as the TGP or Mavericks start displaying images on the MFDs, the performance goes to hell.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if everything can be split between the cpu cores, are looking at a 400% increase with old processors and 800+% for some of the newer cpu’s?

I would doubt that, but what it does mean is that the one core presently in use does not occasionally max out at 100% causing data to not be sent to the GPU with the resultant stuttering.

You will see a big performance increase allowing higher settings and better fps, but how much, I have no idea.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Vulcan is opening new questions and most of it benefits from multicores CPU and multiple GPU usage.

Right now only best option was Intel i5 CPU with max OC and best possible single GPU. But with Vulcan will be interesting to see where is the sweet spot for numbers of cores. Most games today which is optimized for multicores CPU is using 4 to 6 cores max. So maybe will be pointless buying AMD Ryzen7 3700x with 8/16 or i9 9900K with 8/16 when Ryzen5 3600X 6/12 or i7 9700K 8/8 or i5 9600K 6/6 will have similar or same performances for less money.

Also, there is possible utilization of multiple GPU so imagine two new NAVI 10 or RTX 2070, not preferring AMD over Nvidia or opposite just comparing two GPU similar performances, in CF/SLI outperform single 2080ti by 20 to 30% and all this for significantly less money. Er even better GPU per eye in VR.

I think ED should focus in that direction, Less money for high performances in DCS means larger player base who can afford it, more VR users and most important for ED all this extra money saved on unnecessary hardware could be transferred to buying more DCS modules and that is what ED need the most.

Right now as I see ED is working on everything but actually not finishing anything. They need to prioritize. First of all, they need to push all resources for the switch to Vulcan first than full optimization for CPU GPU usage focused on CF/SLI and multicores usage. Only then when they will know exactly how they stand with Vulcan and utilization of hardware they could focus on optimization for Maps mostly. This could lead us in more than 150% increase in performances and 30% less money for hardware. With such performances boost, DCS will kick ass in VR or 4K whatever. Even with P5K+ full FOV or Reverb full details.

the problem is very few users have SLI. and even if all the DCS SLI users repurchased their content to support the development work. it wouldn’t cover a single dev for a few months.

i.e. it’s not a good business decision to put money and resources into SLI. the market just isn’t there.

I'm just very pleased that ED seems to believe in VR and is still trying to find optimisations. They could have left it where it was a couple of years ago but thankfully there is more to come for VR, and I'm very much looking forward to how the next wave of HMDs will give us that much longed for improvement in image quality. You kind of know that the definition and clarity is there in the sim, but the jam jar lenses haven't let us see up 'til now.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

the problem is very few users have SLI. and even if all the DCS SLI users repurchased their content to support the development work. it wouldn’t cover a single dev for a few months.

i.e. it’s not a good business decision to put money and resources into SLI. the market just isn’t there.

Why to buy the second card for SLI/CF when it is useless?

That is the point, you don't have a choice at all because it is not working. Once when it is done you have the opportunity to upgrade your system and even if you build new one save some dollars which could be all spent on new DCS modules.

Doing nothing about we all loosing. Consumer doesn't have choice and ED losing profit and with lower profit, there is lower support. You need to know ED have expense to run all this and they working on profit. More profit means larger players base and motivation to keep going even better.

This is win win situation for all of us.

Oh my... One enthusiastic writer there, that didn't really comprehend words "We keep testing it" and "hope to bring this to you soon".

Neither would mean that the next update of DCS adds that....

Oh boy....

Better that we set our expectations to year 2019...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

This is fantastic news!

When can we expect this update?

Just curious...

Thanks

Jozeff

No one knows, just that it is coming "soon".

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The 'NEXT UPDATE'!!! :music_whistling:

This should be tomorrow!!!!!! I AM FREAKING OUT HERE!!! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Yeah, just in time my for my new 2080ti... I guess I'll see what else I can turn on eye candy wise...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Any chance that DCS will be usable With a Pimax5K / HP Reverb, and a regular 2080 when the new update goes live?

I've sat herer for 2 months with a unused 5k+ because I just can't bring myself to be raped by Nvidia, and purchase their "Bend me over" card. The price increase as you go up through the models is acceptable, being about $150 / $200 per level jump. That's fine.

Then we jump from the 2080 to 2080 TI, and they double the price? I spend extravagant sums of cash on my hobbies, but I do not appreciate having my loyalty paid back with disregard, and greed. I HAVE to feel like I'm getting value for my money

Edited by Wmacky

The article says "next update" and then references the post that Matt made on this forum, that says nothing about a promised release date. I get an error now when I click on the link to the blog. Hopefully that's because the article has been removed. Its got to be frustrating for the ED guys when these bloggers commit them to things that they never promised. They've got the major source of the VR issues pinned down, and it sounds like they might have a fix for it, and that's a good thing. When it comes out is up in the air, but at least we know they're closer to a solution.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The article says "next update" and then references the post that Matt made on this forum, that says nothing about a promised release date. I get an error now when I click on the link to the blog. Hopefully that's because the article has been removed. Its got to be frustrating for the ED guys when these bloggers commit them to things that they never promised. They've got the major source of the VR issues pinned down, and it sounds like they might have a fix for it, and that's a good thing. When it comes out is up in the air, but at least we know they're closer to a solution.

The site is still up. But I'm totally with you - The writer has no more information than us (at least it seems that way).

I'd be very happy for it to be the next update though.

Any chance that DCS will be usable With a Pimax5K / HP Reverb, and a regular 2080 when the new update goes live?

If it's really a 50% increase, I'd say yes.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

In this podcast from one month ago, Matt Wagner mentioned that the team was already working on optimizing the terrain engine:

https://alert5podcast.podbean.com/e/scramble-04-matt-wags-wagner/

Actual release of the optimizations may be actually closer than we think

I am sure hoping so!

I really want to get into some campaign flying in the Spit over Normandy.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

so can we expect this on the update coming on the 12th??

Updates are Wednesday’s, and today’s just posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Does not appear to have made it in today's update.

Don B

:cry:

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Does not appear to have made it in today's update.

And unpacking 27 GB ???? :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly: