Direct Lift Control (DLC) - indicator & feedback(?)

Thisdale

Greets everyone,

While learning to use this system (DLC) - which is awesome btw, I was looking for a dashboard/instrument indicator but couldn't find one.

The reason for asking is that when I'm on approach, specifically to a carrier, I activate the DLC but I have no feedback whether it's on or not and find myself always looking backward to my wings to "make sure". I can't find an instrument panel in my peripheral vision or a sound (instrument or airframe) that confirms its activation/deactivation.

I've also noticed that sometimes, it seems to close on its own and I'm unsure of why. Speed excess?

Going through the manual doesn't seem to reveal the info I'm looking for, so I turn to ya'll.

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html?highlight=dlc

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/konotani

Computer Specs:

Z97X-gaming Mobo

4670k i5

24G DDR3

GTX 1080

Asus PG278Q Rog Swift 27-INCH G-SYNC

Valve Index

Thrustmaster Warthog

Fanatec Clubsport Pedals (used as Rudders)

Thrustmaster T300 Arcantera Wheel

Obutto R3volution rig

I wondered the same thing.

I've also noticed that sometimes, it seems to close on its own and I'm unsure of why. Speed excess?

It seems to me that it closes when you open the throttle past a certain point. If we knew for sure what makes it disengaging, that would help us with the awareness of its status.

Unfortunately, many of us don’t use mirrors because they lower the FPS.

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

I wondered the same thing.

It seems to me that it closes when you open the throttle past a certain point. If we knew for sure what makes it disengaging, that would help us with the awareness of its status.

Unfortunately, many of us don’t use mirrors because they lower the FPS.

It closes (as well as the speed brake) when you hit Mil power.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

It closes (as well as the speed brake) when you hit Mil power.

That's right however when you ease the power back out of Mil the speedbrake will come back up on its own, the DLC spoilers do not they must be re-engaged manually. One thing you could do if your stick and throttle support programming is to make a keypress that opens the speedbrake and DLC spoilers at the same time, when in doubt press it.

Edited by Ship

Matt "Ship" Shipley

Virtual Carrier Air Wing 1 (VCVW-1)

VF-211 Checkmates

That's right however when you ease the power back out of Mil the speedbrake will come back up on its own, the DLC spoilers do not they must be re-engaged manually. One thing you could do if your stick and throttle support programming is to make a keypress that opens the speedbrake and DLC spoilers at the same time, when in doubt press it.

I have not had the boards come back out after hitting mil and easing back. I don't recall reading that in the Natops either? You sure you dont have them on a button that is continually applied so they come out when out of mil?

Edited by Strikeeagle345

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I have not had the boards come back out after hitting mil and easing back. I don't recall reading that in the Natops either? You sure you dont have them on a button that is continually applied so they come out when out of mil?

I dont know about NATOPS what i do know is since HB made the speedbrake toggle option thats what my speedbrakes do your setup may be different.

Matt "Ship" Shipley

Virtual Carrier Air Wing 1 (VCVW-1)

VF-211 Checkmates

I dont know about NATOPS what i do know is since HB made the speedbrake toggle option thats what my speedbrakes do your setup may be different.

ah, that's why. It's keeping the Speed brake button depressed. Didn't work that way on the real one. Makes sense now, cool.:thumbup:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

Technically your RIO should visually check and tell you they are good ;)

Ah yeah, Jabbers I mean Jester is not reliable in this particular situation it seems. XD

Unfortunately, on Intercept towards the carrier... looking back to my wings is far from a priority... I'm pretty much glued to the meatball and AoA at this point. More practice needed.

Might be cool to add this feature to Jester tho... calling that DLC is "out".

Computer Specs:

Z97X-gaming Mobo

4670k i5

24G DDR3

GTX 1080

Valve Index

Thrustmaster Warthog

Obutto R3volution rig

Unfortunately, on Intercept towards the carrier... looking back to my wings is far from a priority... I'm pretty much glued to the meatball and AoA at this point. More practice needed.

But that's not when you need to look. You turn it on downwind after gear and flaps down. Look back, pop spoilers to check it's working, then start your final turn knowing it's on.

Edited by VC

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

Spoiler position indicator will show you spoilers position without the need to look back, they will pop up on DLC activation.

control.png

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Per NATOPS:

"A throttle must be held in MIL (or greater) for approximately 3 seconds in order for the automatic function to completely retract the speedbrake. Anything less will cause partial retraction."

I believe in DCS as soon as you hit MIL they will fully close. Also regarding the Q above, they don't come back out when throttle reduction, or dropping back below 400 KIAS for that matter.

"The speedbrakes will start to blow back (close) at approximately 400 knots and will continue toward the closed position as airspeed increases to prevent structural damage. A reduction in airspeed will not automatically cause the speedbrakes to extend to the originally commanded position."

Also not sure if it the same in the real thing, but when you are close to max trap weight of 54k, it is very difficult to maintain on-speed without tripping the SB/DLC to retract. I was even on downwind yesterday flying and literally couldn't set the throttle to keep level on-speed without tripping them to retract. Ended up doing some circuits with the SB around 1/4 open. I did have a couple of PH still on, so not sure if it added too much drag, but the weight was still within limits. I also usually trip them both with the extra thrust required in the turn to the groove - which really screws me up!

SB.thumb.jpg.7acbcecb2c9e3995028173c2f932e71b.jpg

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spoiler position indicator will show you spoilers position without the need to look back, they will pop up on DLC activation.

Ah so the DLC is the Spoiler then?

I'll check this tonight.

Thank you for your reply Some1

Computer Specs:

Z97X-gaming Mobo

4670k i5

24G DDR3

GTX 1080

Valve Index

Thrustmaster Warthog

Obutto R3volution rig

Ah so the DLC is the Spoiler then?

I'll check this tonight.

Thank you for your reply Some1

Yes they are the spoilers. I haven't paid attention to whether the indicator shows spoilers deployed when DLC is active (so slightly deployed) or just when you start to command DLC. I always just set them on on downwind and glance back. Of course then I mess up the approach, get low, go to burner to recover, go high, correct with DLC, no DLC because of burner, look back to see if active, hit the button to active, look back to check that they are active, notice I am heading for the fantail, Jester says bye, I ruin the paint on the Stennis. But that's just my technique for landing the Turkey on the boat. So something else might work for you :).

Yes they are the spoilers. I haven't paid attention to whether the indicator shows spoilers deployed when DLC is active (so slightly deployed) or just when you start to command DLC. I always just set them on on downwind and glance back. Of course then I mess up the approach, get low, go to burner to recover, go high, correct with DLC, no DLC because of burner, look back to see if active, hit the button to active, look back to check that they are active, notice I am heading for the fantail, Jester says bye, I ruin the paint on the Stennis. But that's just my technique for landing the Turkey on the boat. So something else might work for you :).

ahhaahah that's exactly why i "don't want" to glance back lol

Computer Specs:

Z97X-gaming Mobo

4670k i5

24G DDR3

GTX 1080

Valve Index

Thrustmaster Warthog

Obutto R3volution rig

Unfortunately, on Intercept towards the carrier... looking back to my wings is far from a priority... I'm pretty much glued to the meatball and AoA at this point. More practice needed..

But that's not when you need to look. You turn it on downwind after gear and flaps down. Look back, pop spoilers to check it's working, then start your final turn knowing it's on.

That is why we use the invaluable instructions Victory205 gives us.

'Wings are twenty auto, Gear’s down, SAS on, flaps full, DLC engaged and checked, Hook down,

Harness locked, Speedbrakes out, Spoiler Brakes off, fuel is _____

'

Don't forget the Mustache :thumbup:

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Edited by MonnieRock

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb