Process for transitioning from BVR to WVR

hughlb

It would be really useful to hear about the correct process to engage targets transitioning from extreme BVR distances to the merge - from the pilot seat. Is there any content available that details this chronology?

As a hypothetical - let's say we have a two ship, Su-27’s at 50nm, hot.

Do we remain with TWS to ensure both targets are tracked, maintaining a better situational awareness by tracking both and allowing us to get two missiles off?

Or do we STT a single target at that range to provide a better chance of hitting the target?

When we have fired, do we turn 180, or continue to the merge? Do we have to remain within gimbal limits for the radar?

Let's say the two Phoenix both miss for whatever reason. What is the process?

Do we change to PAL within 15nm or maintain TWS?

I am aware that raising the ACM cover does the following:

Enables High Gun Rate, Missile Prep, SW Cool, Shortens Ph/Aim7 launch from 3 to 1 seconds

Should I always enable ACM at a certain distance from an inbound target to "prepare" the plane for a merge? What if the target is still BVR, will ACM mode adversely affect my potential tracking? ie. does the reduction in launch time also compromise the ability to detect or track targets outside of a range threshold?

How about when to switch from Normal mode to Boresight?

I find I’m often losing situational awareness as we approach a merge.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When we have fired, do we turn 180, or continue to the merge? Do we have to remain within gimbal limits for the radar?

You must maintain a lock on the bandit until the phoenix goes pitbull. Its not like the AIM-120 where you can split-s and the missile will go pitbull by itself. The phoenix needs to be commanded active by your aircraft's radar

How about when to switch from Normal mode to Boresight?

Flipping the ACM cover puts you in Boresight for the AIM-7 and AIM-54

Flipping the ACM cover puts you in Boresight for the AIM-7 and AIM-54

I get that, but is it used exclusively for firing at targets that cannot be locked, or does it serve another purpose?

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWS is not a magic salve, and the propensity of folks to expect it to be the superior option up close is far too pervasive based on the experiences of other overmodeled types. The F-14 and F/A-18 are hopefully going to break this trend over time.

Every TWS mode short of an AESA setup lacks the angular rate and coverage to progress into the sub-10 mile region to be effective. As proximity closes, the chance of an opponent moving outside of the coverage area for at least one frame increases. That probability goes up exponentially the number of enemies you're facing. And any time a TWS radar misses a contact, whatever it presents is false- hence the nickname "track while lie".

Intercepts need to be taken from a progression not just from BVR, but from phases. TWS is small. Actual search modes such as PD, Pulse, and RWS cover far more volume. You find the bad guys first using a true search mode based on your current priority. At this point, you begin your ID process. From here you step into TWS to manage the intercept to weapons range. Phoenix gives you an option to progress through this time period while shooting- something the other guy can't do, which means in many respects you can control both your own closure rate and angle, as well as theirs.

At the point where things get critical, 20 or so miles when he's got a decent chance to reply with a weapon is where you need to make sure you're in STT. You can't risk the loss of a lock under the false hope you can keep some measure of SA against everyone in the airspace. Your entire job up to this point was to thin the heard and get control of the intercept to a point closing into Sparrow range is survivable. And if you have to progress into Sidewinder range, that target certainty is even higher- meaning if you're not locked you need to lock instantly- hence the ACM modes beginning with PAL. Guard up, because if have any AIM-54s left you want them not needing your support and off the jet faster. Same with Sparrow.

Look at what the systems actually do, the area they cover, how quickly they cover it, and how reliable they are at maintaining and recovering a lock to determine what you should be in at a given phase of the intercept.

TWS is not a magic salve, and the propensity of folks to expect it to be the superior option up close is far too pervasive based on the experiences of other overmodeled types. The F-14 and F/A-18 are hopefully going to break this trend over time.

Every TWS mode short of an AESA setup lacks the angular rate and coverage to progress into the sub-10 mile region to be effective. As proximity closes, the chance of an opponent moving outside of the coverage area for at least one frame increases. That probability goes up exponentially the number of enemies you're facing. And any time a TWS radar misses a contact, whatever it presents is false- hence the nickname "track while lie".

Intercepts need to be taken from a progression not just from BVR, but from phases. TWS is small. Actual search modes such as PD, Pulse, and RWS cover far more volume. You find the bad guys first using a true search mode based on your current priority. At this point, you begin your ID process. From here you step into TWS to manage the intercept to weapons range. Phoenix gives you an option to progress through this time period while shooting- something the other guy can't do, which means in many respects you can control both your own closure rate and angle, as well as theirs.

At the point where things get critical, 20 or so miles when he's got a decent chance to reply with a weapon is where you need to make sure you're in STT. You can't risk the loss of a lock under the false hope you can keep some measure of SA against everyone in the airspace. Your entire job up to this point was to thin the heard and get control of the intercept to a point closing into Sparrow range is survivable. And if you have to progress into Sidewinder range, that target certainty is even higher- meaning if you're not locked you need to lock instantly- hence the ACM modes beginning with PAL. Guard up, because if have any AIM-54s left you want them not needing your support and off the jet faster. Same with Sparrow.

Look at what the systems actually do, the area they cover, how quickly they cover it, and how reliable they are at maintaining and recovering a lock to determine what you should be in at a given phase of the intercept.

good stuff there!

Question, when you flip the ACM guard up, will the AIM-54 ride the STT beam or still lurch up into the air for some kind of weird loft? Or do i have to select boresight mode for them to ride the beam? My MP experience is that 54's miss because they jerk 15g's when they go active, and i just want terminal ballistics inside 25 miles... they have enough juice to get there...

Guard up with a lock, the Phoenix will follow the beam. Without a lock, it will launch on the heading of the ADL cross.

Don't think it really matters whether or not you have a lock though right? They come off the rail active either way if the target is within 10 nmi. I guess with a lock you have a guarantee that the phoenix will see its target