35" 21:9 Ultrawide 1440p or 43" 16:9 4K monitor?

Hi all,

I am trying to understand how field of view works in DCS World.

I am trying to decide between a 35" 21:9 Ultrawide 1440p or 43" 16:9 4K monitor.

The 43" 16:9 is physically wider than the 35" 21:9 and has a much taller viewing area.

My question is, as the 43" 16:9 is wider than the 35" 21:9 Ultrawide, can I set a higher field of view on the 43" and get a nice wide view of the cockpit (same width or more compared to Ultrawide) while still not losing any vertical viewing angle?

I am sorry if this sounds confusing.

FWIW. You can change your field of view using the zoom function on the keyboard to set your field if view. Personally I don't like ultrawide for DCS as unlike an FPS where horizontal view is very important you also need to be look up in the vertical. 1st rule in Air combat is put your lift vector on him and pull if you don't know any better. Hard to do if the vertical view on your monitor is limited.

I use a 43 inch 16:9 for DCS when I use TIR.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

16:9 is a better experience for DCS than 21:9 imo. Vertical space is more important than horizontal.

That's misleading as it's technically not true. Just by looking at those ratios, it's obvious that you get a larger FoV with 21:9 (i.e. 21 compared to 16) for the same vertical space (9).

So, with a 40" 4K (16:9) monitor for example, you have the same FoV as a 27" (16:9) monitor, but with better sharpness (due to increased resolution) and I guess better immersion as it's bigger (unless you push it way back from you).

But, even though it's bigger physically, you don't see more vertically for the same cockpit zoom level, while the 34" ultrawide gives you a bigger FoV for the same vertical level (even though its vertical size is PHYSICALLY noticeably smaller than on the 40" screen).

Now, I do get what you're saying and for me the same vertical on 27" (16:9) and 34" (21:9) is physically somewhat small for proper immersion, hence why I upgraded to 32" 4K (16:9).

But, I wouldn't mind having a 37.5" ultra-wide monitor (with a loss in sharpness as it has a vertical resolution of 1600 compared to 2160) for a wider FoV.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

That makes no sense. Just by looking at those numbers, it's obvious that you get a larger FoV with 21:9 (for the same vertical space).

What I'm saying is that to me, H FoV isn't as important. V is.

I spend most of my time looking at instruments and panels. If I can see the entire cockpit and HUD, and it's legible without zoom, that's more advantageous to me than being able to see out the sides. I can turn my head left or right (with track-ir) if I need to but being able to glance at and read instruments quickly is to me far more valuable.

Not to mention when I'm turning on a target, I'm far more likely to need to look UP at it. Side visibility isn't as much of a priority.

Yes you can zoom out, but then things tend to become unreadable.

I have a 34" ultrawide, and I honestly wish I didn't for DCS.

Edited by FoxTwo

What I'm saying is that to me, H FoV isn't as important. V is.

Yes you can zoom out, but then things tend to become unreadable.

I have a 34" ultrawide, and I honestly wish I didn't for DCS.

I get what you're saying, but you're explaining it in a wrong way. The vertical FoV is the same in 16:9 and 21:9 in theory, but your physical vertical size is too small for you to comfortably zoom out.

My point is that there's nothing wrong with the 21:9 format for DCS, but yes, I'd agree that the 34" monitor is not the ideal size for it.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I'm also trying to decide between ultrawide and 4k.

Look at post #4, the screenshots nicely explain FoV differences.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/showthread.php?5011-21-9-vs-16-9-Monitors

You can always zoom out and with 4k don't loose clarity, but more you do this the more unnatural it looks (fisheye effect).

At the moment I'm leaning towards ultrawide, bigger FoV, less pixels to push, works nicely with other games and type of office work I do.

I'm also trying to decide between ultrawide and 4k.

Thank for the link.

My issue is, a 43" 16:9 monitor is actually wider than a 35" 21:9.

If this was the case, wouldn't a physically bigger 16:9 monitor be better as you can zoom out and maintain a similar wide view as a 21:9 but have the benefit of the increased vertical space?

You are correct, but zooming out creates this 'fish eye' distortion that is mainly visible at the sides.

I have tried to zoom out on my current monitor to what I would expected to be on ultra wide and I can see distortions, although not that much. So it could be a valid practice.

I don't know which monitor is better, some people prefer UW, others 4k and so far I haven't seen any direct comparison between two with DCS.

If this was the case, wouldn't a physically bigger 16:9 monitor be better as you can zoom out and maintain a similar wide view as a 21:9 but have the benefit of the increased vertical space?

In theory and FoV-wise, not quite as then you could zoom out on the ultrawide screen to see the same cockpit size vertically that you're seeing on the 16:9, plus you'd see the extra part to the sides.

In practice, though, the same cockpit zoom as on the 40" or 43" 16:9 would be too small on the 34" ultrawide to be readable and useful so, yes, a bigger 16:9 screen is obviously more useful than the smaller ultrawide.

But, that's not a fair comparison except perhaps price-wise as there are no 40" and 43" gaming models AFAIK yet (e.g. higher refresh rate and with adaptive sync).

Edited by Dudikoff

I have 3 screens 1920x1080. The landscape is horrible, the extra side part are useless and the cockpit is smaller. You have to zoom then you loose field of view. I use the portrait mode. You want to see the entire cockpit, not part of the cockpit and part of the wings.

• Like 1

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

But, that's not a fair comparison except perhaps price-wise as there are no 40" and 43" gaming models AFAIK yet (e.g. higher refresh rate and with adaptive sync).

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-monitors/the-43-rog-strix-xg438q-does-big-screen-gaming-with-freesync-hdr-2-at-4k-and-120hz/

I have 3 screens 1920x1080. The landscape is horrible, the extra side part are useless and the cockpit is smaller. You have to zoom then you loose field of view. I use the portrait mode. You want to see the entire cockpit, not part of the cockpit and part of the wings.

This has been my experience as well. I have done 3 1080p, I have done ultrawide 34". I'd rather have a taller display for flight sims.