VNAO T-45 Goshawk

17 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

You use AoA, not speed. Much more precise, in an aircraft that can vary quite a bit in landing weight. And note that you don't flare for landing.

I think there may be a bit of an issue with trapping currently though, as the mod aircraft sits too high with weight on wheels. This might possibly hold the hook up a few inches higher than it would be IRL.

Well, something has changed since 1.0. I just did several landing attempts where the indicators show correct AOA, good ball, etc. and bolter every time.

49 minutes ago, RogerRamjet said:

Well, something has changed since 1.0. I just did several landing attempts where the indicators show correct AOA, good ball, etc. and bolter every time.

Agree. I can easily land on the carrier with 1.0 and the current version just very difficult to catch on the cable with all these correct procedures.

5 hours ago, JUICE said:

@tosmonaute Also see @Baldawg comment about making sure your Generator Switch is ON (MIDDLE POSITION) and not forward in RESET mode...that will create the issue you are having too.
Let us know.

Hi JUICE

Well after testing hot and cold starts this evening it worked normally ?!?!?!?!!!!!?!!!?!

My GEN switch do not stay in RESET position but goes back to ON.

OK might be kind of, i made a wrong switching in the previous flights, but i wonder why left MFD was loaded and went OFF after few minutes???

Anyway thanks for support all is ok today...   well until now!

If this happens again i will inform.

Thanks again wish you a nice day.

• Like 2

@tosmonaute If you still lose the left MFD after a while during the flight, check to see if you have a HOTAS control mistakenly bound to that device...DCS is notorious for double-mapping controls...I have the TM Warthog throttle, stick, and 3 Cougar MFDs as well as MFG Crosswind pedals and each time I add a new aircraft, I have to go and de-program the duplicate controls that I don't need.  Sounds like you have it going well! Cheers, safe flying...;^)

• Like 1

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Remember when trapping. The Hook to Eye distance is different on every aircraft and the supercarrier doesn't change the ball to account for this. So you will need to fly a ball and a half low or so to compensate. 

Gear down

Flaps Down Full

Brakes extended fully
Hook down

On speed AOA speed will vary based on weight. 

The flight model will change here and there but we will always keep the above parameters in mind for landing on deck for any major patch.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Proud founder of VNAO and current deck jockey with VFA-103:pilotfly::pilotfly:

2 hours ago, MadMaxter said:

Remember when trapping. The Hook to Eye distance is different on every aircraft and the supercarrier doesn't change the ball to account for this. So you will need to fly a ball and a half low or so to compensate. 

can't fly a ball and a half low! I'd have nightmares of angry LSO debriefs!

One thing to keep in mind as well, the ball needs to be stable on the mirror as you touch down. If you are on speed and see a rising ball over the deck, good chance that you'll bolter in a lot of aircraft. If you try to stop it by dropping the nose, same result.

I like the way the T45 lands. It's challenging, a good trainer.

• Like 2

Viewpoints are my own.

1 hour ago, makosch said:

Hi Guys, I had to reinstall the whole DCS shebang and now downloaded the T45 again. I seem to be missing the SRS Folder in the VNAO_T45_v1.0.1.zip file. Did I miss something?

See the v1.0.1 changelog: "Removed SRS script from download; the T-45 is now integrated into the latest SRS update".

• Like 2

Hey Guys, I've been doing some flight testing with the Goshawk and I have found that if you have a realistic trap weight, proper winds and carrier speed to give you 25 kts average across the deck, the trap seems to go pretty well.  Since I can't find a -W- water line in the HUD, I've been putting the compass ribbon "Carrot" at about 7 degrees and flying on-speed AoA and solid trap after trap.  I've linked an unlisted video from Air Warfare Group's YouTube channel to demonstrate.  Getting realistic parameters for the acft wt, ship speed and winds, and you should be golden!

• Like 2

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

21 hours ago, JUICE said:

Hey Guys, I've been doing some flight testing with the Goshawk and I have found that if you have a realistic trap weight, proper winds and carrier speed to give you 25 kts average across the deck, the trap seems to go pretty well.  Since I can't find a -W- water line in the HUD, I've been putting the compass ribbon "Carrot" at about 7 degrees and flying on-speed AoA and solid trap after trap.  I've linked an unlisted video from Air Warfare Group's YouTube channel to demonstrate.  Getting realistic parameters for the acft wt, ship speed and winds, and you should be golden!

In order to trap this way, the pilot is well under his "on speed."  Look at the E-Bracket and AOA indicators in the screen shot. I promise you the real plane does not land this way and would be waved off...

T45OffSpeed.png

@RogerRamjet Looks like you froze it at just the split second the deviation occurred and it's not representative of the entire approach...the in-close is wonky for sure.  But You're right, the E-Bracket and Ball falls right off at the end even thought the jet appears to be on a cable descent to the deck...and not much pitching deck here!

Hope the Encoders can dial it in...got any cockpit footage of actual Goshawk Traps you've found on the internet or in your possession?

Problem with most camera captures of something only the human can see from the cockpit is difficult...hopefully the data points and meatball can agree on what gives us, and external observers, a good, proper approach to Trap.

Edited by JUICE
;^)
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,
it would be possible to remove jagged reflections and vibrations on the mfd panels thank you.

DCS_2021_05_23_11_48_34_800.jpg

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Not quite sure what you’re getting at, unless you are attempting to “set the hook” by increasing the attitude,  but setting up the ship at 15 knots and a natural wind of 5 knots to result in around 20 knots of closure, and simply flying on speed all the way down, with a centered ball on the mirror results in consistent arrestments. You don’t want too much wind and you don’t want to fly a low ball, both of which result in a flatter approach and are self defeating for your purposes.

There is a tendency to settle in close, and get over powered and flat as you cross the ramp. You have to get the power back off to keep the ball centered and stable when you hit the deck. Keep flying the ball.

• Like 1

Viewpoints are my own.

How is the Burble Effect...did I say that correctly?  Is it modeled in DCS SC and is the Goshawk subject to it?

10 hours ago, Victory205 said:

Not quite sure what you’re getting at, unless you are attempting to “set the hook” by increasing the attitude,  but setting up the ship at 15 knots and a natural wind of 5 knots to result in around 20 knots of closure, and simply flying on speed all the way down, with a centered ball on the mirror results in consistent arrestments. You don’t want too much wind and you don’t want to fly a low ball, both of which result in a flatter approach and are self defeating for your purposes.

There is a tendency to settle in close, and get over powered and flat as you cross the ramp. You have to get the power back off to keep the ball centered and stable when you hit the deck. Keep flying the ball.

Looks like it was a Trap...I didn't say it was a good grade! ;^)

Edited by JUICE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

11 hours ago, Victory205 said:

That is how I fly the ball. Also, I don't set anything, I'm using the case 1 carrier recovery items from the menu list which already had the carrier moving at an optimum rate. With version 1, I had more than 25 successful traps, none with version 2 flying exactly like you describe. Also, I can land the F-14 and F-18 every time, just not this plane after the upgrade... I'm getting instruction from an X Top Gun pilot who has flown both the T-45 and the F-14...

On 5/23/2021 at 5:33 PM, JUICE said:

How is the Burble Effect...did I say that correctly?  Is it modeled in DCS SC and is the Goshawk subject to it?

Looks like it was a Trap...I didn't say it was a good grade! ;^)

Short answer on the “burble” is that I don’t know. It may end up being aircraft specific as well. There are two aspects, the flow over the deck and the wake of the island, both nuanced and dépendant on the strength of the natural wind, which dictates weather the apparent wind direction is axial or down the angle. 

Axial winds produce a disturbance from the island which is more of an annoyance. Stronger natural winds move the balloon/sink farther from the ship, and make it more pronounced. However, under those conditions, the pilot is up on the power a bit, which makes the engine response quicker. A PC desktop sim makes all of this difficult to notice.

To get comfortable with the T45, I’d advise flying a higher pattern for awhile, to get a little more groove time to experience flying the ball. Maybe try 800 to 1000 feet MSL, and extending downwind. You don’t need to be wider, just farther aft of abeam before you start your turn. The T45 holds AOA fairly well, and I just haven’t had issues hook skipping. It is important to fly the ball to touchdown, meaning continuing to look at the mirror until touchdown and making corrections. A rising ball will tend to result in bolters.

Edited by Victory205
  • Like 3

Viewpoints are my own.

Okay, let's try this. Can one of you with the latest release fly one of the case 1 pre-defined missions (see photo). Maybe I have to create a mission with the supercarrier to land successfully? If you could record the flight, I would appreciate comparing it to one of mine. Mine never seem to play back fully, not sure why that is...  So, below T-45C 105, T-45C 112, etc. In version 1, I could land any of these.

T-45Menu.png

Edited by RogerRamjet
Added content

46 minutes ago, Denwagg said:

Plane stops moving after engine startup on mine when in replay mode

unfortunately, the T-45 tracks don’t really replay accurately ... pity, as it precluded me from taking screenshots of myself while trapping on the carrier 😅

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB