VFA-106 Gladiators Inbound

Bananimal

VFA-106 Gladiators Inbound

Well, seeing as I was tired of sitting around waiting for the F-14 templates to drop, I figured I crank out another F/A-18 set. This time, it's the Gladiators.

Started work on this one yesterday. Just about wrapped it up today. Still need to do the pilot and BuNO on the dash. Other than that, she's complete. This is one of my favorite schemes. I built a Minicraft Hasegawa kit in 1/32 of the very similar prototype scheme when I was a kid. Seeing it come to life in the sim is just fantastic. It's truly stunning cruising along in the sim.

Next is the CoNA bird, followed by a few CAGs, XOs, and line birds from various years. Probably will be thirty or so in the packs once I release them. Enjoy this one as a teaser.

Screen_190407_223624.thumb.jpg.6c8329e5f24a7da0ad1e94b56fb19a24.jpg

Screen_190407_222701.thumb.jpg.b34cff46b8895946f414d45ea02f3aec.jpg

Screen_190407_221548.thumb.jpg.21e1636767af430271c11c14ec240f8d.jpg

Bananimal's DCS Mods and Skins

Was already done August 2018: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300628

Let's see if you can do it better ;)

Yes. I have that one and while it is a decent effort, it is not done correctly. The hornet graphic on the nose and the helmet on the tail are mis-shapen and inaccurate. As are the layout for the striping on the vertical and horizontal stabs. The roundel on the left wing upper is not slanted. The anti-glare visor is not correct. It's missing proper stenciling as well on the wings, etc. And the colors are off. Then again, that is a 40 year anniversary skin and i have not seen the real bird. Therefore, the one I am doing has technically NOT been done yet as it is a 30 year anniversary skin.

When I do a skin, I do it down to the hinges, bolts and washers on the model. Spent 2 hours yesterday hunting down a washer that needed to be painted. I guess I'm nuts. Pun intended. LOL!!

Edited by Bananimal

And my pics were in direct sunlight. In the sim with Reshade, the colors on mine go dark in shade as in the picture above. It depends on the lighting in the sim. I lifted the colors directly off of a photo in the sun. While I understand that it depends on the lighting and the camera that was used to take the photo, researching all of the photos indicates mine is very, very close to accurate, if not accurate.

Post a pic of the real bird in the sun and you'll see how much the blue and gold changes. Here's an example 164630 F/A-18C VFA-106 Note how dark the stripe under the wing is when in the shade. Much like your photo above. My colors behave this way in the sim. You'll see when you fly it! :-) Or take a look at the colors on the vertical stab and the anti-glare visor on the nose in the third picture I posted above.

Edited by Bananimal

Then again, that is a 40 year anniversary skin and i have not seen the real bird. Therefore, the one I am doing has technically NOT been done yet as it is a 30 year anniversary skin.

You are right :D Haven't seen this small detail :music_whistling:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.masm.fr%2FSig%2Fusa%2FUSNAVY%2Fvfa106gladiators30ansHornet%2F106105996.5XAqY57d.jpg&f=1

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fc2.staticflickr.com%2F2%2F1497%2F26510078505_4489ba759c_b.jpg&f=1

Edited by CHSubZero

My Mods: DCS User Files

Modules owned: EVERY Module :pilotfly:

You are right :D Haven't seen this small detail :music_whistling:

That's alright man. I'll let it go this time. LOL Just horsing around. :megalol:

It's interesting that in the two photos you posted in full sun, one is the color you expect and the other is the colors I used to paint this particular skin. It came down to this. I looked at decal sets for this scheme and most of them used a more blue as opposed to the dark navy blue. So, I was more inclined to assume that the color is supposed to be as depicted in your second photo. Unless this bird is sitting in front of me where I can see it with my own eyes, I'm not so sure the exact color can be determined. If anyone has seen this bird in person, please chime in. It's not too late for me to change the colors on it. :thumbup:

Edited by Bananimal

Here's the difference between my version of this scheme and the other. You can flip back and forth between the pictures using the previous and next buttons to see how much of a difference there is. Especially with the striping layout and stenciling. I presume one will most certainly be a better rendition than the other.

issues.thumb.jpg.c43cd4a0cb25068d838bc67d550223d1.jpg

Mine.thumb.jpg.843057ed2f1b899e306f0e08c3b1990c.jpg

Edited by Bananimal

Finished the CoNA bird night before last. Making some changes and spent some time taping the helmets. I also am 2/3 finished first XO bird. Tonight I need to learn how to create vector images of the stenciling as I am not happy with the loss of readability of the text. Once I figure that out, if it is even possible, I will reapply the danger and warning stencils to all aircraft.

I also received a very cordial PM from Grimes, the creator of the other skin. He pointed out that my post looks vain. As I explained to him, I did not post to berate, but to show other skinners what to look for when skinning. Also, to show non-skinners just how much consideration needs to go into a skin to get it right. I could put it in text, as I did, and it's not the same as a side-by-side comparison. A picture is worth a thousand words and I saw it as an opportunity to show just how much work goes into my skins. It ain't easy. Sorry if it came off as an insult Grimes, but if we can't point out how to become better at what we do, then the entire community loses. That's my thoughts on the subject. I'm sure my skins could be picked apart too. In fact, the guys I fly with do just that, and I welcome it. It's how I get better.

Anyway, here's some pics of the CoNA:

EDIT: These pics were before it was completed. It has since received the "MARINES" decal on the right side of the tail.

Screen_190409_235338.thumb.png.7641cfafcb59d2ca71adea018746dde1.png

Screen_190409_235258.thumb.jpg.ee83f955730d8461f0f47d49aa9fab8b.jpg

Screen_190409_235321.thumb.png.3fc75c7af92976d18f8f6df463ce1a20.png

Edited by Bananimal

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it will.

Sorry for the delay in updates. We've been having really bad severe weather down here and that kind of takes my mind away from painting. Gotta stay alive to be able to paint.

I've been having significant difficulty in aligning the "GLADIATORS" text on the spine of the last XO bird I'm doing. The UV stretching is making it almost impossible on this one. The seam cut's right across the R on the left side and the R is both too big and too small at the same time. Uggghhh!

Alright, Gents. I've got a slew of pictures for you. All are XO birds from 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2014. I still have to do the latter birds. But these are done.

Finally got through the retarded UV mapping issue on the spine of this model. I like to died when I realized that they used three different fonts across the spine. And, they are located differently for each. PITA! The frustration of dealing with that and dodging severe weather the last few weeks had worn me down so I put painting down for a bit. Glad I did, as when I hopped back in today, I saw a few issues that needed to be addressed. The size of the roundels, incorrect font alignment, The size of the numbers on the wings, and a few names corrected. Each one is different.

Here's the first one. 2004.

Screen_190427_221919.thumb.jpg.0c88650205420fa9045ac3808d3ea978.jpg

Screen_190427_221943.thumb.png.47829f569dfacabad886eadcaf2de049.png

Screen_190427_222159.thumb.jpg.2255b8dbd23b35542632576bbd105b07.jpg

Edited by Bananimal

Thanks. The warning and stencil decals you hooked me up with made things go much quicker. I am torn between modifying them on these though as the decals for these IRL are not as rectangular. Haven't decided yet as that's a lot of work. Knowing me, I'll probably do it.

I've got that one XO bird left to do with the newer shield graphic. Once the XO birds are done it's just a matter of copying the folder and changing the colors on the graphics and the pilot names and I'll have line birds for each variant.

Also, the only CAG bird I could find was on a Alpha model back in 1991. I also found a more current 300 bird but it was a Delta model. I'm assuming they used the Delta for the CAG bird. I'm not sure If I should paint up a Charlie CAG since we'll never have a Delta in the game anytime soon. Thoughts?

I do have a 2016 Charlie CAG to work off of. Thanks, Carl.

Edited by Bananimal