Silent updates?

RagnarDa

Hi! Is it possible to update DCS "silently" (also known as quiet-mode) ie using command line and without having to click "Proceed" and "Yes" and so on. If not already possible, could this feature be added? Would be really helpful for us devs.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

And if It's not clear its not because we're lazy but for automatic test-systems and scheduling updates when I'm not working.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

I actually thought about scheduling DCS to update automatically on the day the Tomcat released, because I knew I would be at at work at that time and wanted to be able to immediately enjoy the Tomcat when I came home. :D

Well, then I rememberd that there are these two prompts that make it difficult to do so...

+1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I actually thought about scheduling DCS to update automatically on the day the Tomcat released, because I knew I would be at at work at that time and wanted to be able to immediately enjoy the Tomcat when I came home. :D

Well, then I rememberd that there are these two prompts that make it difficult to do so...

+1

Theoretically you could use a mouse macro for that. If WoW and EvE AFK miner/ratters can do it, I'm sure somebody could figure out a way to click two prompts lol :p

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Theoretically you could use a mouse macro for that. If WoW and EvE AFK miner/ratters can do it, I'm sure somebody could figure out a way to click two prompts lol :p

Yeah, I know there are ways to make it possible (which is why I said it makes it difficult, not impossible ;)), but that would have been too much effort to be worth it for me.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

"AutoIT" is another automation tool that could probably work until a silent update command is available. Very easy too. And freeware.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Thisd feature would be perfect for admins of dedicated servers. I would love to have a scheduled task to shutdown dedi and make an update each night at 3am.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

Silent updates?

The tricky part about automation tools is that it sometimes has an update for the updater, which you need to acknowledge. Then the update itself is very different in how long it takes and a dedicated server would have to be down the maximum time any update would take (like 3 hours). And DCS can’t be running as long the updater is running. I guess if you’d start notepad first (to handle any stray keypress) and then press Enter after starting the updater it will either acknowledge a new updater or start updating, then waiting a few minutes for updater to finish downloading and pressing enter again will either start the update or switch to html download, then wait 3 hours and press enter again for acknowledging the update has finished (which should close the updater and allow DCS to start). Then Alt-F4 and N to close Notepad.

Edit: do you need to acknowledge the switch to HTML download? If so the script needs to run for 6 hours.

Edited by RagnarDa

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

Damn, yeah didn't think of the intermittent extra updater updates. Don't remember if clicking the "Try the HTTP download method" requires an OK click also...

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Oh naah, I'm enjoying DCS for the very reasons of not being part of the mainstream couch-gamer convenience-driven culture, excuse me :p

Scheduling for dedicated servers yes, but these things only encourage more convenience-reliant experience, convenience addiction and when something goes wrong people won't be used to try to fix it themselfs and will whine about it and it just creates more work and babysitting for the developer, the auto-updating could interfere with modders, true it backups the mods, but still it messes up the whole setup if someone has a lot of mods all finely tuned in, especially with still a unsorted filesystem structure as many legacy files/filenames/foldernames tied to caucasus map remain earthed into the file structure, maybe with the idea of resource packs for modding like or a mod folder, "mod profiles" etc where the original files remain isolated, among other things, then it may be more safer.

But still what about some changes someone wouldn't agree with and they may stick with the older version for a while, or some bug that could happen and only be discovered/reported at the end of the day but it updated for you during the night and you'll have to suffer as well, etc.

These are just the possibilities to consider, I'm not trying to be negative on purpose.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Most quiet mode installs are a command line switch. So, for most people the updates wouldn't change.

This would be an option for those that have a need to update automatically, mainly those who run dedicated servers. I run my squadrons server, it restarts itself every once in a while to refresh things. Every time there is an update, the whole squadron has to wait until I get home to click on the acknowledgement (or I think about it and remote into the server).

I actually redid our training mission that normally runs on the server so that it could go for 12 hours without a restart primarily to avoid this problem.

• 1 year later...