Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Well I pre-ordered 2 x Rift S for testing and neither have arrived and tracking shows late next week :(

Great to see reviews starting to come in though. One question for ED, are you able to shed some light on how long the VR optimisations are going to be as I cannot find any news on this other than it's coming.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I pre-ordered 2 x Rift S for testing and neither have arrived and tracking shows late next week :(

Great to see reviews starting to come in though. One question for ED, are you able to shed some light on how long the VR optimisations are going to be as I cannot find any news on this other than it's coming.

Wags posted on this yesterday:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3917549&postcount=6

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Amazing

I've asked the same thing too, curious if anyone got this coming from odyssey or odyssey + even though on paper the res of the odyssey is greater.

I have been an Oculus user since the DK1 days. I have the original CV1, HTC Vive and the Samsung Odyssey +. Odyssey+ is an amazing headset but now that I have 2 Rift S and a quest the Odyssey + will sit somewhere. The rift S in DCS is amazing compared to the Odyssey. Just like Wags said "I can read the guages". The clarity of the visuals is on a different scale. I will be playing more with it this evening. I highly recommend the Rift S.

Non existent. One of the first things I noticed.

BooooM!! That, sir...is the correct answer! Thank you for that.

Feeling like a bank robber from the 70's with that grainy stocking effect following my gaze everywhere was the main element keeping me from flying regularly at night.

No more!! :thumbup:

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

I have been an Oculus user since the DK1 days. I have the original CV1, HTC Vive and the Samsung Odyssey +. Odyssey+ is an amazing headset but now that I have 2 Rift S and a quest the Odyssey + will sit somewhere. The rift S in DCS is amazing compared to the Odyssey. Just like Wags said "I can read the guages". The clarity of the visuals is on a different scale. I will be playing more with it this evening. I highly recommend the Rift S.
I've felt like I could read the dials and guages in the Odyssey quite well. If you say it's better on the rift S, then I should consider it. I'm also waiting until some people have also tried the Reverb.

I have the Rift Cv1 and the Odyssey and I preferred the odyssey compared to the rift in visuals as soon as I bought it.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

There's no nose gap, though there is a button on the headset which allows you to move it in and out, so you can create one if you need it.

Nose gap IS there (thank you, Oculus!)! The rubber nose piece is detachable by design - check it out ;)

Anyone have a motion simulator with the Rift S? Wondering how the inside out tracking is affected by motion...

I'll let you know once the Rift S arrives. Currently use Vive Pro with the 6dof platform due to motion compensation.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Anyone have a motion simulator with the Rift S? Wondering how the inside out tracking is affected by motion...

I have a rig with a NLR V3...not quite as extreme as some of the bigger setups, but should be enough of a test to give a good idea.

I’ll chime in with feedback once I get it all up n running.

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

That would be helpful as I have a 2 DOF platform.

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

Just got mine. I happened to have gotten a cold. Which was great because I called the day off and got a rift s. So far it’s much clearer. Played a few missions and dogfighting is much more fun because I can spot enemy planes better. . The gauges are clearer but not perfect for the bottom ddI I need to lean In a bit . I’m craving more Rez now. I saw less ghosting than the Vive. So far a good upgrade especially for dcs. Of course the more rez the better. But this is pretty good. I didn’t mind the sound quality , I like how the sound surrounded my ears, it’s not bad, It’s more comfortable without headphones or earplugs. For the sound I was expecting worse. I felt the sound was on par with Vive earplugs but better because of the comfort of not having to wear them. The gear is light and comfortable. The hmd (the hud that turns on when you turn the dial on right, hehe I’m new..) is super readable. Missile range dials on the hud are really clear. I have to lean in a bit to see the numbers when I slew over radar contacts. The height scan numbers on the radar slew are not super clear but I can more easily tell what they are, I’m not straining to see them.

Edited by Gonzzo

I'm really shocked by the difference in reported clarity. I knew about the whole subpixel thing, but other LCD screens that are even higher res than the Rift S like some of the WMR headsets didn't get nearly such rave reviews. Maybe the optics are that good to?

In 24 hrs I went from definitely not buying a Rift S to staring at it in my cart. I was thinking HP Reverb, but then I'd need a 1080ti, and non-sit down games will suffer from the poor WMR software and tracking. This could be a nice little stopgap...someone tell me they hate it and save my wallet :helpsmilie:

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

I'm really shocked by the difference in reported clarity. I knew about the whole subpixel thing, but other LCD screens that are even higher res than the Rift S like some of the WMR headsets didn't get nearly such rave reviews. Maybe the optics are that good to?

In 24 hrs I went from definitely not buying a Rift S to staring at it in my cart. I was thinking HP Reverb, but then I'd need a 1080ti, and non-sit down games will suffer from the poor WMR software and tracking. This could be a nice little stopgap...someone tell me they hate it and save my wallet :helpsmilie:

I'm surprised too because I have an odyssey and I also have a rift CV1. The odyssey resolution is definitely sharper and better than the original rift. I let a coworker borrow my rift and I just use the odyssey now.

But now I'm also curious how much better than the rift S is and I'm having a hard time believing it too.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I picked up my Rift S from Best Buy first thing this morning. I had a bit of a headache with setup, it kept saying the sensors couldn't track. I finally discovered the problem was with Windows privacy settings, I had to enable camera access for apps. I should have known, I had the same problem with the microphone on my original Rift.

It is much sharper and clearer than the Rift, and more comfortable to wear as well. If I just played Robo Recall and such, I don't know if I would upgrade, but for flight or driving sims where you need the resolution and clarity, it is definitely worth it! And I so far at least am not seeing much if any performance difference with the same settings.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

I'm surprised too because I have an odyssey and I also have a rift CV1. The odyssey resolution is definitely sharper and better than the original rift. I let a coworker borrow my rift and I just use the odyssey now.

But now I'm also curious how much better than the rift S is and I'm having a hard time believing it too.

It's either optics are much better (plausible, Rift engineers know what they are doing) or honeymoon period (potentially).

I'll tell you on Thursday, as I am immune to honeymoon effect, have all new VR headsets coming as soon as they are released, so no bias.

Edited by mdee

It's either optics are much better (plausible, Rift engineers know what they are doing) or honeymoon period (potentially).

I'll tell you on Thursday, as I am immune to honeymoon effect, have all new VR headsets coming as soon as they are released, so no bias.

Cool, will be looking forward to it! I kind of stopped flying for a bit after these new HMD's were announced, that and some of the single player sorties are too long and the odyssey is uncomfortable for long periods of time.

It's either rift S or reverb so having these comparisons from someone that has had all of them is paramount.

Coming from the original Vive its no honeymoon period for me as its simply the fact that i can now read the dials and switchs in the planes with no issues at all. No leaning to within a few inches to check them out. The only plane that I struggled with last night was the Tomcat but I think that is just made to look old and worn out.

Coming from the original Vive its no honeymoon period for me as its simply the fact that i can now read the dials and switchs in the planes with no issues at all. No leaning to within a few inches to check them out. The only plane that I struggled with last night was the Tomcat but I think that is just made to look old and worn out.
There is a cockpit mod that offers new textures for the Rio and pilot instruments in the cockpit. Even in the Odyssey i had to put gamma at 1.9 to make the original readable. With a PD of 1.5.

So I finished a 2 hour flight with no IPD strain with it at 65 for my 66 IPD.

Night mission in the Harrier looked good.

Dogfighting Mig19s in an F14 was definitely easier to see the aspect, seemed to be about as I remember from my previous life.

Overall I am happy.

Pros

Clearer can read all the instruments

Night has way less stocking effect as SDE is reduced

Dogfighting can see aspect even in a 2 circle fight.

Performance appears to be relatively unchanged on my CPU bound 2080ti

Cons

No nose gap is remarkably annoying O may see if I can remove the nose seal.

FOV seems less unless you jam it up to your face.

It's actually a bit trickier to put on but that may be lack of familiarity.

Night is very dark grey vs black.

Tracking I did see a couple of minor hessitations over a 2 hour session so insignificant really.

Overall happy customer

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

It's not that strenuous. Having a rotating chair helps though.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals