Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

My new VR Lens Labs prescription lenses arrived yesterday - the ones with the elastic headband. They are perfect for the Rift S. They allow me to put the lenses as far towards my eyes as the adjustment will allow, so I get the max possible FoV and the clarity is great.

They do take 2-3 weeks to arrive and the DHL tracking leaves a lot to be desired, but they are very much worth it.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Left eye clear...right eye blurry like I have grease on it. If I move the Rift over to the right a bit then the right eye is clear but the Rift won't naturally stay in that position.

You could have an asymmetric ipd. :(

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

Any good one for free? Android/iphone is the same for me. I see well with the standard 63.5 but i'm just curios to check mine. I remembered that the last time from the optician he tell me 64 but i don't remember my cv1 setting. It's a shame they don't use the green cross to have a visual feedback on the fly...

I used GlassesOn for Android. Was completely free. Most of the other apps seemed to be paid.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

1. What do you set your PD to? I believe this effects sharpness. I certainly am finding it difficult to read some cockpit dials and labels, and especially the digital display in the A10. I have to lean right in to try and make it legible.

It depends on your hardware., but with a good CPU/GPU, and MSAA 2X enabled, I would not go above PD=1.2

2. Your settings show a resolution of 34440x1440. has that go anything to do with the Rift. Mine is set to 1280x1024.

Don't care about this resolution when in VR

3.When in VR is the display still supposed to show on your monitor? Mine does. Is that how its supposed to be an doesnt that then create additional work for the GPU having to output to 2 devices?

Yes it shows on the monitor. And the additional work for the GPU is negligible as it's the same image as the one displayed in the headset, so it's computed only once.

4. Is there a way (like with the TrackIR) you can change the sensitivity of the head movement. I feal like im breaking my neck trying to look behind me. Be great to be able to turn my head less in real life.

Do you use something like VoiceAttack? I have no idea how I am going to get used to not being able to see my keyboard.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again.

I don't think it is possible, and wouldn't recommend to do so anyway as it will make you sick like hell! :)

Try to move your head while the VR zoom is enabled, you'll quickly understand it's a bad idea. ;)

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

I can't believe this is the first app i found on play store that is not compatible with my smartphone. LOL. Other options?

For what it's worth, I had previously measured my IPD with this method:

https://www.zennioptical.com/measuring-pd-infographic

And it's pretty bang on with the app, give or take half a mm.

It depends on your hardware., but with a good CPU/GPU, and MSAA 2X enabled, I would not go above PD=1.2

Don't care about this resolution when in VR

Yes it shows on the monitor. And the additional work for the GPU is negligible as it's the same image as the one displayed in the headset, so it's computed only once.

I don't think it is possible, and wouldn't recommend to do so anyway as it will make you sick like hell! :)

Try to move your head while the VR zoom is enabled, you'll quickly understand it's a bad idea. ;)

Thanks for the reply Dax.

Do you have any suggestions for making the cockpit displays more legible? I have loaded the new cockpit skin for the tomcat, but I find the cockpit monitor display text looks very fuzzy/blurred.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Which I have. Wonder if VR lenses will help any, they let you set different IPD.

In other news, one of my squadron mates is reporting solid 45fps with his Oculus S, running on a 1060 with MSAAx2 and PD 1.0

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

With ASW on I’m getting a solid 40 with PD 1.3 and MSAA at 4x..

I thought the rift was 45 but the S only needed 40/80?

My rig - I5 6600k @ 4.5 - Corsair H100i GTX - Maximus Hero viii - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG edition DDR4 3200mhz - Gigabyte 1080ti (Overclocked) - TM Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Rudder pedals - Oculus Rift CV1

I had no issue with my CV1.

If I knew that I wouldn't have this issue again I would trade it in for another, the Microsoft store is 5 minutes away.

1. Is there a physical eye adjustment?
  2. Is IPD adjustment supposed to help this?
  3. What's the difference between the DCS and the Oculus IPD adjustment?

I have exactly the same experience as you. I thought I must have inadvertently touched the lens and got a finger print smear on it.

I'm new to VR and am loving it, but the smear effect is annoying.

It's more than annoying, it's totally affecting my clarity. I know the peripheral has less clarity by design but because the sweet spot is fairly small if your eyes don't line up it's a deal breaker unfortunately.

I has to be a one off issue with the unit otherwise there would be more like me complaining.

Edited by fitness88

Correct S is 40/80. It’s great:joystick:

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

I had no issue with my CV1.

If I knew that I wouldn't have this issue again I would trade it in for another, the Microsoft store is 5 minutes away.

1. Is there a physical eye adjustment?
  2. Is IPD adjustment supposed to help this?
  3. What's the difference between the DCS and the Oculus IPD adjustment?

And what IPD you had set in CV1?

Rift S has a fixed hardware IPD of 63.5 mm. You can't change the lens spacing. There's few mm of tolerance, but if you're outside of it, then you won't see clear with both eyes simultaneously.

You can only adjust software IPD, that only affects world scale.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

It's officially stated that Rift S is “Best for users between 61.5 and 65.5mm IPD"

I'm about 65 and, provided it is positioned correctly, it's sharp except along the edges of the fov.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

My IPD is 66 and I'm getting a generous sized sweet spot with only a slight loss of sharpness at the very edges.

I'm wearing prescription glasses and the headset is nearly at it's closest adjustment point.

It's an awesome piece of kit :)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

The Rift is a 90Hz device.

The Rift S is 80 Hz.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

And what IPD you had set in CV1?

Rift S has a fixed hardware IPD of 63.5 mm. You can't change the lens spacing. There's few mm of tolerance, but if you're outside of it, then you won't see clear with both eyes simultaneously.

You can only adjust software IPD, that only affects world scale.

Thanks some1.

I've tried all different IPD to see if there would be a difference, didn't see any.

When I hold with my hand the HDM in the sweet spot for both eyes with no blurriness I see at best a 20% improvement compared to the CV1...but I can't keep holding it and moving it back in place.

I wish I could say the positive things being said here about the 'S' but I can't. There is some improvement in cockpit reading but very little outside the cockpit, so for me it's just not enough to warrant keeping it.sad.gif

Thanks some1.

I've tried all different IPD to see if there would be a difference, didn't see any.

When I hold with my hand the HDM in the sweet spot for both eyes with no blurriness I see at best a 20% improvement compared to the CV1...but I can't keep holding it and moving it back in place.

I wish I could say the positive things being said here about the 'S' but I can't. There is some improvement in cockpit reading but very little outside the cockpit, so for me it's just not enough to warrant keeping it.sad.gif

Are you sure you tightened it correctly?

For me, once tightened, it doesn't move at all...

Hey Madmatt

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

I have a new computer, and havent played DCS in years so its been a brain teasing few weeks trying to remember how to set everything up. Adding VR to the mix has really confused things. I did try reading forum posts and watching videos but they often related to older version and things had changed, so I appreciate you letting me know your current settings.

As a complete newbie to VR, I have some dumb questions if you dont mind:

1. What do you set your PD to? I believe this effects sharpness. I certainly am finding it difficult to read some cockpit dials and labels, and especially the digital display in the A10. I have to lean right in to try and make it legible.

2. Your settings show a resolution of 34440x1440. has that go anything to do with the Rift. Mine is set to 1280x1024.

3.When in VR is the display still supposed to show on your monitor? Mine does. Is that how its supposed to be an doesnt that then create additional work for the GPU having to output to 2 devices?

4. Is there a way (like with the TrackIR) you can change the sensitivity of the head movement. I feal like im breaking my neck trying to look behind me. Be great to be able to turn my head less in real life.

Do you use something like VoiceAttack? I have no idea how I am going to get used to not being able to see my keyboard.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again.

No worries, let me tackle your questions one at a time.

#1 PD - I assume you mean the Pixel Density. So, I believe at the moment I reset it back down to 1.0, but that's because I was doing some tweaking and comparisons. You will see the biggest improvement in quality going from 1.0 to 1.2 or 1.3. Beyond that it becomes a matter of diminishing returns where the improvement in visual quality begins to lesson and impact to framerate increases. You will need to try for yourself but with a 1080TI anything more than 1.5 may be pushing things a bit too far.

#2. That resolution number is only the resolution of what is displayed on your monitor, also referred to as a VR Mirror display as its mirroring what you see in VR, Yes, you will most always have that being displayed when you play VR games. The reason you are seeing it say 1280x1024 is because that must be your monitors native resolution. Mine says 3440x1440 because I am using a bigassed 34" monitor and that is the resolution it runs at.

#3 Yes, that is normal. As to performance impact, there could be some overhead if your main monitor display resolution is larger that what the VR system is outputting, but in this case its simply rendering out at a lower resolution of what you are seeing in VR so you are fine. I could probably gain a few FPS by lowering my display resolution a bit, and sometimes do but since I alternate between VR play an Track IR, I just leave it at my native screen size then I don't have to screw with it. Again, for you, just leave it alone.

#4 No, that would sort of defeat the purpose of the 1 to 1 motion of your head and what is being displayed through the VR lenses. Checking 6 in VR is a chore because of much more limitd field of view than what you get in reality and you really have to crane your neck around to see. My recommendation...Swivel chair. :) As VR headsets evolve and increase their field of view levels, this will get better. I've heard that those playing with a Pimax headset and running at 150 degrees of FOV, checking 6 is very easy. With the Rift S, we are down to maybe 100 degrees, perhaps a bit less.

#5 I don't use any voice activated commands, rather I run with a Warthog HOTAS and use the excellent CTS application from HomeFries (check out the Thrustmaster subforum for details on this app if you use a Warthog or Cougar HOTAS) which really expands what my HOTAS can do. I also have 2 Thrustmaster MFD panels placed roughly where they would be in a real cockpit and through muscle memory can usually click the right buttons when needed...more or less. Apart from just a few select keystrokes (like Escape and maybe the keys to toggle on various outside views), I never use my keyboard while playing).

Hope that all helps. Really, all the graphics settings are going to be for you to test out. What is acceptable framerate and visual quality to me might not be the same for you. Use my settings a baseline, but don't be afraid to play with then to find your own sweet spot.

Good luck and welcome back to DCS!

Madmatt

Edited by Madmatt_BFC
i donts spelt good

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Are you sure you tightened it correctly?

For me, once tightened, it doesn't move at all...

It was tight no movement at all. But it wasn't just the alignment of the lens to my pupils having to hold it...my CV1 is very clear I have no problems seeing writing on the DDI, menus etc...I expected much more from the 'S' and I felt I got a little more.

Also my peripheral clarity on the CV1 is better than the 'S' so I don't have to keep moving my head to keep the sweetspot where I'm looking.

Edited by fitness88

No worries, let me tackle your questions one at a time.

#1 PD - I assume you mean the Pixel Density. So, I believe at the moment I reset it back down to 1.0, but that's because I was doing some tweaking and comparisons. You will see the biggest improvement in quality going from 1.0 to 1.2 or 1.3. Beyond that it becomes a matter of diminishing returns where the improvement in visual quality begins to lesson and impact to framerate increases. You will need to try for yourself but with a 1080TI anything more than 1.5 may be pushing things a bit too far.

#2. That resolution number is only the resolution of what is displayed on your monitor, also referred to as a VR Mirror display as its mirroring what you see in VR, Yes, you will most always have that being displayed when you play VR games. The reason you are seeing it say 1280x1024 is because that must be your monitors native resolution. Mine says 3440x1440 because I am using a bigassed 34" monitor and that is the resolution it runs at.

#3 Yes, that is normal. As to performance impact, there could be some overhead if your main monitor display resolution is larger that what the VR system is outputting, but in this case its simply rendering out at a lower resolution of what you are seeing in VR so you are fine. I could probably gain a few FPS by lowering my display resolution a bit, and sometimes do but since I alternate between VR play an Track IR, I just leave it at my native screen size then I don't have to screw with it. Again, for you, just leave it alone.

#4 No, that would sort of defeat the purpose of the 1 to 1 motion of your head and what is being displayed through the VR lenses. Checking 6 in VR is a chore because of much more limitd field of view than what you get in reality and you really have to crane your neck around to see. My recommendation...Swivel chair. :) As VR headsets evolve and increase their field of view levels, this will get better. I've heard that those playing with a Pimax headset and running at 150 degrees of FOV, checking 6 is very easy. With the Rift S, we are done to maybe 100 degrees, perhaps a bit less.

#5 I don't use any voice activated commands, rather I run with a Warthog HOTAS and use the excellent CTS application from HomeFries (check out the Thrustmaster subforum for details on this app if you use a Warthog or Cougar HOTAS) which really expands what my HOTAS can do. I also have 2 Thrustmaster MFD panels placed roughly where they would be in a real cockpit and through muscle memory can usually click the right buttons when needed...more or less. Apart from just a few select keystrokes (like Escape and maybe the keys to toggle on various outside views), I never use my keyboard while playing).

Hope that all helps. Really, all the graphics settings are going to be for you to test out. What is acceptable framerate and visual quality to me might not be the same for you. Use my settings a baseline, but don't be afraid to play with then to find your own sweet spot.

Good luck and welcome back to DCS!

Madmatt

Can i ask a question?

I have your same setup, Warthog hotas with CTS but not the MFDs, how do you change things like nav instruments on plane like F-5, like change bearing, radio and nav frequencies etc etc? Via mouse? Via HOTAS? I found very difficult fly along my route IFR because i lost too much time to set the instruments and sometime miss some turns etc etc.

I hope I had explain it well, or at least in an understendable way. I'am not native english speaker :-P

Edited by KodaPOwER
my syntax sucks :-P

Can i ask a question?

I have your same setup, Warthog hotas with CTS but not the MFDs, how do you change things like nav instruments on plane like F-5, like change bearing, radio and nav frequencies etc etc? Via mouse? Via HOTAS? I found very difficult fly along my route IFR because i lost too much time to set the instruments and sometime miss some turns etc etc.

I hope I had explain it well, or at least in an understendable way. I'am not native english speaker :-P

Not him, but I used to use a mouse. I recently switched to an AHK script. I use modifier+hat to bind left/right click and mousewheel up/down. Then I bound the paddle on my throttle to center the mouse near the bottom of the screen, which also brings it up and makes it visible. Then I just use the head-tracking to move the cursor around. Works so well, and allows me to keep my hands on the HOTAS.

edit: Here's the script if you're interested.

JoyMultiplier = 0.1
JoyThreshold = 5
InvertYAxis := false
WheelDelay = 25
JoystickNumber = 1
CenterX = 1980 
CenterY = 1200 
toggleState := false

#Persistent

; Calculate the axis displacements that are needed to start moving the cursor:
JoyThresholdUpper := 50 + JoyThreshold
JoyThresholdLower := 50 - JoyThreshold
if InvertYAxis
   YAxisMultiplier = -1
else
   YAxisMultiplier = 1

; Start timers
SetTimer, MouseCursor, 10 
SetTimer, MouseCenter, 100

GetKeyState, JoyInfo, %JoystickNumber%JoyInfo
IfInString, JoyInfo, P  ; Joystick has POV control, so use it as a mouse wheel.
   SetTimer, MouseWheel, %WheelDelay%

Return  

MouseCursor:
if GetKeyState("Ctrl") {
	MouseNeedsToBeMoved := false  ;
	SetFormat, float, 03
	GetKeyState, JoyX, %JoystickNumber%JoyX
	GetKeyState, JoyY, %JoystickNumber%JoyY

; X-Axis
	if JoyX > %JoyThresholdUpper% 
	{
   			MouseNeedsToBeMoved := true
   			DeltaX := JoyX - JoyThresholdUpper
	} 
	else if JoyX < %JoyThresholdLower% 
	{
   			DeltaX := JoyX - JoyThresholdLower
	}
	else 
	{
   			DeltaX = 0
	}

; Y-Axis
	if JoyY > %JoyThresholdUpper% 
	{
   			DeltaY := JoyY - JoyThresholdUpper
	}
	else if JoyY < %JoyThresholdLower% 
	{
   			DeltaY := JoyY - JoyThresholdLower
	}
	else 
	{
   			DeltaY = 0
	}

; Move Mouse
	if MouseNeedsToBeMoved 
	{
   			SetMouseDelay, -1  ; Makes movement smoother.
   			MouseMove, DeltaX * JoyMultiplier, DeltaY * JoyMultiplier * YAxisMultiplier, 0, R
	}

}
Return

MouseWheel:
if GetKeyState("Ctrl") 
{
	GetKeyState, JoyPOV, %JoystickNumber%JoyPOV
	if JoyPOV = -1                                 ; No angle
	{ 
   			return
	}

if (JoyPOV > 31500 or JoyPOV < 4500)           ; Forward
	{ 
   			Send {WheelUp}
	}
	else if JoyPOV between 13500 and 22500         ; Back
	{  
   			Send {WheelDown}
	}
}
return

MouseCenter:
GetKeyState, Paddle, 1JoyR
if (Paddle == 0 or Paddle = 100) 
{
	if (toggleState) 
		MouseMove, (CenterY // 2), (CenterX // 2) - 1
	else 
		MouseMove, (CenterY // 2), (CenterX // 2) + 1
	toggleState := !toggleState
}
Return

Left/Right click I bind directly in DCS.

Edited by JoeyJoJoJunior

Can i ask a question?

I don't have the F5 module but for most planes where I need to dial in radio frequencies or other devices that require direct input I do use the mouse to click the correct in-cockpit knobs or buttons.

If you are playing in Single Player mode you may want to try and use the Active Pause feature. Your plane will freeze in position but all your controls are still useable. It's a great training tool and I used it a lot when learning a new module. Just be advised that while you are paused, nothing else is! All other planes, missiles and vehicles will continue to move, track and fire on you while you are in Active Pause. The nice thing is you can also track and fire weapons as normal too. Only your plane is frozen in place, not your ordinance.

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

I have been trying to download APP and Install for quit sometime now and it will not run now matter what I do. I get the message:

DirectX Redistributable

Error Creating Process

C/users/Rex G Lawrence/AppData/Local/Temp/iXP000.tmp/Dxsetup.exe

Silent - Reason-------

Can anyone please help me? I've got the New Equipment now Oculus S and can't use it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated