Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerely doubt that the IPD has anything to do with this chromatic aberration. I have those distortions on each lense/eye separately. I tested this with closing each eye and trying to find the optimal position and angle for each eye and it was still horrible.
The size of the sweet spot for the Rift S appears to be directly related to IPD. What did you have the ipd set too. If you didn't set it then disregard but if you have it set away from 63.5 you will have reduced the sweet spot via the software.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I plugged my headset USB into the virtual link port on my 2080 Ti, and it did not solve the black screen for me. Still working with support to get this ironed out.

Keep in mind though there are many that have working Rift S's with no issues. Mine works just have to deal with black screen as it happens, but I can work around it. Still communicating with them on my support ticket so will see. I also am still well within my 30 day return window with Amazon, may end up just returning there for replacement.

I absolutely love the Rift S so will be sticking with it for a while.

Yep hoping you get it sorted soon mate, been following your thread closely over in the Rift forums. You’re being extremely patient

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Mine turned up yesterday and something that may be of interest to some of you but not all.

The entire faceplate can come off with a bit of a yank, especially along the top but it does just pull out. What this means if that there is no contact with my face and plenty of air flow.

Yes I can see the room in the extreme peripheral but it turned out after a while I had zero trouble ignoring that and just got absorbed in whatever I was doing. I can also see the keyboard tilting my head just right if needs be.

Benefits of this? I could move the screens up to almost touching my eyeballs and get maximum fov. I could feel the heat from the screens but it never got uncomfortable because of the straight through air flow. In fact I was in the HMD for over 3 hours straight with no issues at all. Unheard of for me as normally wiping of sweat and pressure points are getting sore.

Some wont find this very good and each to there own but if you can ignore the peripheral then this is actually the best VR experience I have had to date. No chance of going back to the CV1.

When I first did it I had the impression of Augmented Reality. IE I could see the real world to the sides but I was looking into a window into a virtual world sort of thing. As I mentioned after a while I found I could get totally absorbed in the VR and completely forgot about the peripheral views unless I wanted something. I cant see that faceplate going back on.

I was disappointed in this thing when it first came out and only bought it because I could not order the Index and it will be months before I get another shot so why not? Some comments in this thread had me intrigued and now I am glad I did. It is not world changing but it sure is better.

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

Yep hoping you get it sorted soon mate, been following your thread closely over in the Rift forums. You’re being extremely patient

Thanks, what is tough is having to wait days between my supporting info they request sent to them, and their reply back to me. I realize though they are very busy with everything right now.

To make it interesting - I managed to make it better. Had a powered USB 3 hub in my drawer and figured I would try that. Hooked the headset USB into the powered hub.

Now the headset will come back on after closing Home in the same session, in fact I thought it might be fixed. I then shut down and re-started the PC. Put headset on and Home launched with display in headset. Closed home, waited a couple minutes, put headset back on and nope black screen after Home launched. So I unplugged the Rift S USB cable from the hub, waited a few seconds then put back in. Now it comes on properly - and continues to launch properly after closing Home and relaunching during the same session - long as the PC is up and running.

But shut down, then start up - works first time, but not the second time after closing Home.

So now after booting PC up I just unplug the USB from the powered hub, plug back in - then it works properly for the rest of the day while computer is up.

Weird...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

First day with S and all works fine ... Resolution is more better, sharpness is awesome. CV1 is in the box again :D

i7 6700k / Gtx 1070 / 32GB DDR4 / SSD / Warthog / 2 MFD / Saitek Rudders / RiftCV1 / Rift S...

A10C / F5 / F14 / F16 / F18 / M2000 / HARRIER / FC3 / HUEY / GAZELLE / MI-8 / MI-24 / KA-50 / KIOWA / CB ARMS / SUPER CARRIER / PERSIAN GULF / NEVADA

Quick question before I pull the trigger to order one...

My motherboard is a Strix Z370E and reading some of the issues regarding USB power I’m wondering where’s best to plug it in? Will it go directly into the USB C port on the back? Do I need a separate USB power hub thingy?? Thanks....

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

I'm using Voice Attack and VAICOM Pro with DCS, and my biggest Issue with the Rift S ist that the Microphone suddenly "Freezes" after a while. That's also the Case if I connect an external Headset to the Rift. I had no Luck yet to use the Mike longer than 30 Minutes in Game. After this Time Voice Attack either shows a constant Input Peak or no Input at all. If this happens I need to plugout the Rifts USB Cable and reconnect it to the Computer. But then I need to restart the Oculus Software, Voice Attack and of course DCS, so the current Flight is lost. The Sound Output of the Rift doesn't have any Issues, its only the Mike. So currently I have to resign from Voice Communication with DCS and the Rift S.

My Rift is connected directly into an USB 3 Port of my PC. No USB Hub or anything else between the Rift and the PC.

Thanks, what is tough is having to wait days between my supporting info they request sent to them, and their reply back to me. I realize though they are very busy with everything right now.

To make it interesting - I managed to make it better. Had a powered USB 3 hub in my drawer and figured I would try that. Hooked the headset USB into the powered hub.

Now the headset will come back on after closing Home in the same session, in fact I thought it might be fixed. I then shut down and re-started the PC. Put headset on and Home launched with display in headset. Closed home, waited a couple minutes, put headset back on and nope black screen after Home launched. So I unplugged the Rift S USB cable from the hub, waited a few seconds then put back in. Now it comes on properly - and continues to launch properly after closing Home and relaunching during the same session - long as the PC is up and running.

But shut down, then start up - works first time, but not the second time after closing Home.

So now after booting PC up I just unplug the USB from the powered hub, plug back in - then it works properly for the rest of the day while computer is up.

Weird...

Weird maybe, but at least you’ve discovered a workable workaround. :thumbup:

I know one day it’s an instant buy, the next I get scared off by the issues. BUT let’s be realistic here, we all know the moment it gets back into stock, I’ll be upgrading.

The more I see about it, and especially during sim use it truly does look like the headset we simmers have been dreaming about since VR started to become mainstream again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Mine turned up yesterday and something that may be of interest to some of you but not all.

The entire faceplate can come off with a bit of a yank, especially along the top but it does just pull out. What this means if that there is no contact with my face and plenty of air flow.

hey this is actually a great suggestion. Tried using it without faceplate and it's really more comfortable, thx

And the FOV is probably bigger then the CV1 now!! I was doing this earlier tonight so I’m going steal some black craft foam from the daughter and tape it to the side and top and the bridge of the one area of the S. I’m sure someone will come out with a more professional looking system though! Lol

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Weird maybe, but at least you’ve discovered a workable workaround. :thumbup:

I know one day it’s an instant buy, the next I get scared off by the issues. BUT let’s be realistic here, we all know the moment it gets back into stock, I’ll be upgrading.

The more I see about it, and especially during sim use it truly does look like the headset we simmers have been dreaming about since VR started to become mainstream again.

:thumbup:

Overall I really love the device, even with all the hassle it has caused me - the image clarity is just so dang good.

The Rift CV1 had me spoiled a bit, never a moment's trouble with it in 2.5 years of almost daily use.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi guys, I'm hearing a lot of reports on other sites that FOV on the Rift S feels like wearing a pair of swimming goggles or looking through two squares cut out of a piece of cardboard.

Can anyone comment on FOV in DSC with the Rift S?

Even better, can anyone who's upgraded from CV1 to the Rift S comment on FOV in DCS?

Is it noticeably different, for better, for worse? Does it detract from the experience? Do the pros of the S outweigh the FOV con, assuming the FOV is worse?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi guys, I'm hearing a lot of reports on other sites that FOV on the Rift S feels like wearing a pair of swimming goggles or looking through two squares cut out of a piece of cardboard.

Can anyone comment on FOV in DSC with the Rift S?

Even better, can anyone who's upgraded from CV1 to the Rift S comment on FOV in DCS?

Is it noticeably different, for better, for worse? Does it detract from the experience? Do the pros of the S outweigh the FOV con, assuming the FOV is worse?

I don't see much difference than CV1 in FOV - maybe a little smaller but if it is it does not bother me. So in my case no, but this can be a very subjective thing. I don't see many folks complaining about it.

In addition to the halo adjustments, there also lens adjustment - getting that as close as can to eyes helps a little also.

IMHO the pros outweigh the cons, which there are some.

Pros: Image Clarity - Minimal SDE - Halo Design ( for me it is more comfortable, that too is subjective). Audio Jack. Inside Out tracking ( less connections and no sensors to mess around with).

Much easier to get set up.

Cons:

Inside out tracking here also - but for seated games not an issue. Not as solid all around as the CV1 sensor setup.

Audio - this is a big one. The stock audio strap is just crappy. If one cares anything at all about sound, they will want to get another solution. I personally am using Klipsch R6 II earbuds and they absolutely rock for the audio. Oculus took a big step back on this one from CV1. Thankfully they included the audio jack.

There have been quite a number of folks having some issues - as the software/firmware progresses much of that will be ironed out. And I am sure there are way many more that are not having issues.

For me, the pros far outweigh the cons. And I am one having an issue and working with support on it - luckily it is not an issue that renders my headset unusable. If it came down to it and I need to send it back, I would do so for a replacement and not a refund, and I would be a sad puppy during the wait for the replacement. I am so loving that image clarity.

Don B

There is. It's in the UI Layer section of the controls.

Thanks, I looked but couldn't find it. Appreciated muchly!

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

It does feel a little bit like looking through binoculars, but I had absolutely no problem in A2A or A2G last night.

In case people don't realise there is a button on the hood that lets you adjust it closer to your face, just like the PSVR. Unlike the PSVR though it does not have as fine an adjustment and I found I had to really jam it against my face, compressing the foam before it would "click" and stay in place. Suddenly my FOV was increased significantly.

Having read the foam can be removed I will try that tonight and see if I can get it a bit closer for even more FOV.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

I haven’t noticed a fov change myself and the image clarity is quite a bit better than the cv1. As I type this I realise I’m just repeating what others have said, all so I think I just happen to have an iPd of 63.5 (spot of luck).

My eyes are much happier in the S, I loved my rift for three years but i did enjoy taking it off.

I get the white noise flashes, though now I know they don’t mean a faulty headset they are so infrequent that they don’t bother me (too much) and hopefully it’ll be fixed.

It feels to me how we wished the original rift was but not necessarily what the rift 2 should be so very much a rift 1.5. That being said I’m very happy with my rift S and no need to upgrade my gpu. I’d give it four out of five mk82s

I don't have a Rift S so can't comment, but you can test FOV and resolution here.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359389601

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I haven’t noticed a fov change myself and the image clarity is quite a bit better than the cv1. As I type this I realise I’m just repeating what others have said, all so I think I just happen to have an iPd of 63.5 (spot of luck).

My eyes are much happier in the S, I loved my rift for three years but i did enjoy taking it off.

I get the white noise flashes, though now I know they don’t mean a faulty headset they are so infrequent that they don’t bother me (too much) and hopefully it’ll be fixed.

It feels to me how we wished the original rift was but not necessarily what the rift 2 should be so very much a rift 1.5. That being said I’m very happy with my rift S and no need to upgrade my gpu. I’d give it four out of five mk82s

Fwiw the brief white flashes for me seem to be greatly reduced after I updated to the version 1.38 PTC.

Don B

Even with 1.38 I am still seeing the flashes. Have tested on two different PC's now with just about every USB port I have on each.

It is annoying but thankfully doesn't happen all too often. Just hope Oculus will eventually tell us what it is and fix it.

Interesting side note, when I moved the Rift-S to my secondary gaming rig, it said I needed to update my hardware firmware. This after having already done so when it was installed in my primary rig 2 days ago when the first update came out. For a moment I was excited that maybe a second update had been released, but it looks like it was the same. For some reason, when my Oculus Home updated it went ahead and reinstalled the latest firmware again in the headset and both controllers.

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

I noticed today I was wearing the back of the halo a bit too low, like I would the CV1. Having it just a bit higher brought the bottom of the headset closer to my face, significantly increasing vertical FOV, mostly in the lower half of the screen. And I know it's not placebo because I had to increase the masksize in Kegetys' VR mod. I experimented with taking the facial interface off, but I found seeing the view in my peripheral too distracting. I also couldn't get the lenses that much closer to my eyes. I actually think the cushion in the halo itself is the limiting factor for that. It's much less compressible than the foam and sticks out more.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

We’re the KSCs easy to bend to achieve that?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I received my Rift S yesterday! and only had like 40 minutes flight in different aircraft. My impressions as a Cv1 user (1080Ti) are:

-The clarity upgrade is nice, I can read the cockpit quite nicely now in all aircraft. The clarity of the outside world however is not so much improved, its better, but only marginally. Spotting for example is better for ground target and a bit better for air targets but is not a game changer.

-Regarding rading DDI for example, i don't have a lot of trouble now reading height and speed for radar contacts or discerning any element in the SA page in the hornet, you can even read the moving map now which is great. If you for example take out the moving map, you can read everything perfectly, even the CDU for the A10C.

-FoV: This is a down point for me. I see a reduced FoV when compared to the Rift. Is not significant, but at least 5 degress or so... For this is not that much important but it can be a great stopper for someone coming from a Pimax 5K or similar.

-Commodity: Great so far, today I will test it in depth.

-Sound: For me is more than enough for DCS.

Other than that i would like to ask a few questions guys, sorry if they are already in the thread:

-I have a constant message of "Upgrade to W10 to use the Rift" inside Oculus home, but I do have Windows 10. Anyone having that?

-I do experience a flicker from time to time, but to so random that it does not bother me too much, I hope they resolve it soon.

-When inside DCS, how can you use the passthrough or go to the virtual desktop to read a webpage? Is that even possible?