Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I use it in a slightly reclined position about 30 deg(lazy boy chair) or do I have to sit bolt upright

You can use it at any angle or position because at any point you can "recenter" the view and when you do that (either in game or via the Oculus Button on the Touch Controller) it looks at your current orientation and makes that your new 'centered' position.

Here is an example in the way I play. For DCS, I have my HOTAS on either side of my keyboard facing my main monitor so when I play flight sims and I put on the headset, my straight ahead view by default is my normal facing while I am using my computer. However, I also play racing sims, and for that I have a full Force Feedback steering wheel and pedals setup which is attached to a different desk 90 degrees to my left and a few feet away. I also use a lower chair when driving which is also inclined. When I play those games, I just "recenter" my view and now even though I am sitting lower, at a different angle and orientation several feet away from where I was in DCS, my view is still aligned to my new driving controls, not my HOTAS.

I'ts all very flexible and you can pretty much sit, stand, kneel or hell even lay on the ground and look straight up if you want, although if you did that reaching your joystick might be hard. ;)

One cool trick if you have the space in your playing area is to stand up and walk a few feet away from your normal sitting position and look back at the cockpit of your plane/helo. Be warned, it can be a little disconcerting if you're flying though! Kind of like wing walking... ;)

Edited by Madmatt_BFC

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Probably too soon to tell, but so far after over 2 hours with my replacement Rift S it is looking good.

Will not say that was it on my black screen issue for sure until I have gone 2-3 days.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Probably too soon to tell, but so far after over 2 hours with my replacement Rift S it is looking good.

Will not say that was it on my black screen issue for sure until I have gone 2-3 days.

Great to hear it's working better now.

If your new Rift S doesn't have the issue then that would indicate a hardware issue with some units. This really puts me off as being from outside the US it's basically impossible for me to return if I have issues. Certainly watching this thread with interest.

You can use it at any angle or position because at any point you can "recenter" the view and when you do that (either in game or via the Oculus Button on the Touch Controller) it looks at your current orientation and makes that your new 'centered' position.

Here is an example in the way I play. For DCS, I have my HOTAS on either side of my keyboard facing my main monitor so when I play flight sims and I put on the headset, my straight ahead view by default is my normal facing while I am using my computer. However, I also play racing sims, and for that I have a full Force Feedback steering wheel and pedals setup which is attached to a different desk 90 degrees to my left and a few feet away. I also use a lower chair when driving which is also inclined. When I play those games, I just "recenter" my view and now even though I am sitting lower, at a different angle and orientation several feet away from where I was in DCS, my view is still aligned to my new driving controls, not my HOTAS.

I'ts all very flexible and you can pretty much sit, stand, kneel or hell even lay on the ground and look straight up if you want, although if you did that reaching your joystick might be hard. ;)

One cool trick if you have the space in your playing area is to stand up and walk a few feet away from your normal sitting position and look back at the cockpit of your plane/helo. Be warned, it can be a little disconcerting if you're flying though! Kind of like wing walking... ;)

Thanks for the reply its a relief to know its all very flexible :) I would assume that feature is in all the latest VR products

That’s fantastic to hear mate.

Sadly had my first black screen today after 45 mins in DCS, although the weird thing is the escape menu still displayed and as soon as I exited DCS my screen was working fine.

Weird, as I’m not certain it’s the same issue everyone else is having, that’s said thinking bout it, I could almost be convinced my pilot blacked out, although I was straight and level at the time around 2000 ft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

USB Ports

For those of you having the blackout problems, try this link.

I was having a lot of problems then found this and things have been much

better since.

Hope it helps

https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/26/oculus-rift-s-how-to-fix-tracking-problems-and-blackouts/

Rad

I9-10900K CPU at 5.0 GHz, 32GB 3600 RAM, Nvidia 2080 Super

1 TB WD NVMe SSD, 2 TB WD NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, TM Warthog

Solved here.

I had the same problem with the Rift S being recognized, but then getting the black screen in setup.

The Repair kept failing after the 7GB download with an error during install.

The 'brute force' repair method was obviously needed.

• I disconnected all unnecessary devices from the computer.
  • Deleted the Oculus program folder on the C drive.
  • Ran CCleaner to remove the left over junk.
  • Went to the Oculus web site and downloaded the Rift S file. (not the Rift - I noticed there is a several MB difference in file size from my original.)
  • Installed it

Everything now works fine :thumbup:

better since.

Hope it helps

https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/26/oculus-rift-s-how-to-fix-tracking-problems-and-blackouts/

Rad

I mentioned the power management with USB on the 29th last month the CV1 was the same even when using the oculus tray tool I still had to disable usb management in windows 10 because it's a sack of **** :D

My new unit received this morning still running well.

Too soon to say though, if it stays this way for 2-3 days or so I will feel like it took care of it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My new unit received this morning still running well.

Too soon to say though, if it stays this way for 2-3 days or so I will feel like it took care of it.

Cool beans Don, fingers crossed for you buddy! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Hi all,

I'm super happy with the visual clarity as a whole with the rift S in comparison to the cv1.

Just curious if anyone else is experiencing the issue I am having.

Currently I am getting visual stuttering when I look out the sides of my canopy only from the land based textures.

I have not changed my settings yet.

I have read that hyper threading on could possibly cause this, can anyone here confirm this.

I currently run with ASW on, so Ill test it off tonight but I found in the past buildings with ASW off always seemed to have double images that blurred together. Maybe this is the culprit.

happy to post my settings when I get a chance if that may help spot something derpy I'm doing wrong.

cheers.

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 4.8 GHz |32 GB RAM 3000 MHz C15 | 1080ti | H150i | Samsung SSD 960 EVO 1TB m2.NVMe | Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1 TB

Rift CV1| Rift S| TM Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind pedals | NLR v3 motion platform

Vaicom Pro https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=198297

SimShaker for Aviators https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=175028&highlight=Simshaker

Point CTRL https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have been flying quite a lot with the S after getting my USBs figured out.

It did not want to play nice with the Inateck card (it is crap and will be replaced) I had installed for the first Rift (The disconnect issue). Not a real big deal because I have lots of ports.

After going to a MB 3.0 port I have had absolutely zero problems with the S. No stutter, no blackouts etc.

Very pleased as everything is smooth as silk. And with the clarity over the Rift, nice.

I really don't pay much attention to the reduced SDE, so I don’t find that is an issue.

Measured my IPD (65) and set that which made a big difference.

I only fly MP, usually hours long custom missions, smooth play with zero crashes for any reason.

I run pretty high settings in VR with a PD of 1.6. Planning to increase that after the patch to see how far it can go and see what happens.

Distance from the lenses makes a big difference for me, close as some have stated didn't work, adjusting further back made everything sharper, go figure. I guess YMMV on this.

Also, I don’t use ASW.

Not seeing artifacts as some have stated. No matter where I look. Mirrors on! F14, F18, Harrier.

I really can’t complain about anything with the S at this point. The improvements for me are great. The immersion is off the charts. I have no issues spotting air and ground targets. I love the fact that just last night I never lost sight of a Mig 29 in a dog fight. Yeah, I splashed him.

Really looking forward to what today’s patch will do for us. I'm hoping we will be able to increase our settings as a result.

Also liking the ear bud sound option, actually like it better than headphones.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

So it would seem the stutter I was experiencing was due to the mirrors in the F14 while rolling above or looking towards ocean texture, very little stutter over land, haven't tested any other aircraft.

I tried ASW off and although fps sat at roughly 73- 80 there looks to be a slight stutter while shifting my head around while ground based textures seemed to be blurry also. Air targets were clearer and while rolling left and right my wing tips would stay in normal shape.

ASW on, wing tips are deformed (artifacting) while rolling and other aircraft blur making it almost impossible to identify unless on top of them but overall shifting of head around cockpit was super smooth and ground based textures clear also.

Has anyone been able to find a happy medium between this?

I've read all sorts of strange fixes for various stuttering issues, disabling XMP, disabling hyperthreading, Affinity settings, increasing RAM from 16GB - 32GB, Or increasing GPU.

Before I go the route of testing all of them, I'm curious whether anyone else in the community has had similar problems and fixed them?

I wonder if ASW 2.0 tech will be implemented in DCS maybe this might clear the artifacting in the canopies and wing tips, other aircraft etc.

Cheers for you thoughts.

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 4.8 GHz |32 GB RAM 3000 MHz C15 | 1080ti | H150i | Samsung SSD 960 EVO 1TB m2.NVMe | Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1 TB

Rift CV1| Rift S| TM Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind pedals | NLR v3 motion platform

Vaicom Pro https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=198297

SimShaker for Aviators https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=175028&highlight=Simshaker

Point CTRL https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

better since.

Hope it helps

Rad

I'll try this. If I use 2m extension cables for USB & DisplayPort I have also problems. My old Rift runs perfect with extension cables. If I connect Rift S to on board USB3 and DisplayPort of graphic card directly I got no black screens, but sometimes a short flicker.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

I read somewhere about a setting for the S that optimized either quality or performance. I can't find such a settting for mine. What am I missing?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

In the software open the devices window. select the headset and it will open a menu where you can change settings, for sound, mic, idp etc, one of the settings is graphical performance, you can set it to quality or performance.

Win11 64bit, AMD Ryzen 58003DX, GeForce 3070 8GB, 2TB SSD, 64GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz _ full 1:1 FA-18C Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/@TheHornetProject

So, I finally got myself into VR, having received Rift S yesterday. While I didn't have too much time to spend with it and I have nothing to compare with, here're some initial observations.

The setup was very trivial. No issues with display, USB or whatever else. I do get the occasional white flashes, but it's nothing major. Will wait for the firmware update.

Sense of depth in cockpit - WOW. This. Is. Amazing. Displays are pretty readable, if I need to lean forward to read some small print, it's OK, no big hassle.

Outside view - not impressive at all, but this is what I've been expecting. I've initially set my settings to "VR" preset and I think I will need to start working from there.

Now to the problematic parts.

First one is settings. I've then set textures, visibility to "high", PD to 1.2, AA to 2, shadows were flat and medium. Took it to a spin around the carrier and had to go for 20 minute break to convince myself not to puke all over the place. I don't know if it's a FPS issue or just me being unused to VR, but feels quite horrible. I've got 1070 which runs super well at pretty high settings on 1440p, but VR seems to be so much more taxing. Should I be looking for a video card upgrade?

Second issue is sound. The build-in is not too great. I've got a set of decent headset which I'm able to stick around the halo. However the problem is with the sound volume. I've managed to set up the mirroring of sound though Oculus app and disabled (muted) build-in speakers. The sound is coming from the headset, but it's so silent, I can barely hear "Betty". The Windows and Headset volume is maxed out. I don't know where to dig anymore.

Finally, it's quite hot in here nowadays, so my face is sweating and lens are fogging after 10 minutes of wearing Rift. I've seen someone mentioned it's possible to take the nose and eye cover completely out, so maybe I'll just try that.

In terms of clarity, it's pretty sharp in the middle, but gets very blurry on the sides. I've got about 66mm IPD, which is reasonably close to the specs.

Will keep testing today, but the puking aspect is somewhat most worrying so far.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

So, I finally got myself into VR, having received Rift S yesterday. While I didn't have too much time to spend with it and I have nothing to compare with, here're some initial observations.

The setup was very trivial. No issues with display, USB or whatever else. I do get the occasional white flashes, but it's nothing major. Will wait for the firmware update.

Sense of depth in cockpit - WOW. This. Is. Amazing. Displays are pretty readable, if I need to lean forward to read some small print, it's OK, no big hassle.

Outside view - not impressive at all, but this is what I've been expecting. I've initially set my settings to "VR" preset and I think I will need to start working from there.

Now to the problematic parts.

First one is settings. I've then set textures, visibility to "high", PD to 1.2, AA to 2, shadows were flat and medium. Took it to a spin around the carrier and had to go for 20 minute break to convince myself not to puke all over the place. I don't know if it's a FPS issue or just me being unused to VR, but feels quite horrible. I've got 1070 which runs super well at pretty high settings on 1440p, but VR seems to be so much more taxing. Should I be looking for a video card upgrade?

Second issue is sound. The build-in is not too great. I've got a set of decent headset which I'm able to stick around the halo. However the problem is with the sound volume. I've managed to set up the mirroring of sound though Oculus app and disabled (muted) build-in speakers. The sound is coming from the headset, but it's so silent, I can barely hear "Betty". The Windows and Headset volume is maxed out. I don't know where to dig anymore.

Finally, it's quite hot in here nowadays, so my face is sweating and lens are fogging after 10 minutes of wearing Rift. I've seen someone mentioned it's possible to take the nose and eye cover completely out, so maybe I'll just try that.

In terms of clarity, it's pretty sharp in the middle, but gets very blurry on the sides. I've got about 66mm IPD, which is reasonably close to the specs.

Will keep testing today, but the puking aspect is somewhat most worrying so far.

There is a beta version of new software update from Oculus - they refer to it as the PTC (Public Test Channel). You can opt into it by going to the Beta tab in the settings on the Oculus desktop app, and enabling PTC, it will then download and install this update. It has a new audio driver that may or may not help. Eventually this version will make its way to the release version 1.38.

Oculus Home:

You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.

We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.

We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.

Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

Regarding the puking - take it slow and easy with many breaks in between. You will eventually get your " VR Legs", unless you are an outlier that just can not adjust. Took me a couple of weeks, never bothers me any more.

Welcome to the wonderful world of VR !!

Don B

Press Ctrl-Pause to see FPS counter. If it shows FPS below 40, then you have to adjust settings, because you will experience a lot of issues. If it's 40 or above, then well, you have to get used to it.

For heat issues, the only real solution is a fan blowing in your face.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Thanks gents, will try that. Good point about 40 frames. I've had tried it and had 20 pretty consistently. I was wondering if it shows real thing or not.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

I use a large 16inch fan on a stand behind me - doesn't cause "tears" or other discomfort and keeps my lenses clear.

Then, when I'm in an open cockpit driving sim (or flying a biplane) I have it blowing in my face - for a fantastic realism effect :)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Thanks gents, will try that. Good point about 40 frames. I've had tried it and had 20 pretty consistently. I was wondering if it shows real thing or not.

The most taxing settings are shadows, msaa, draw distance, and pixel density, so I would adjust those down first. Especially MSAA...if you can live with the aliasing, it's better to turn off because it's such a performance killer. Also, I personally see little to no difference with cockpit global illumination on/off and it can also gain you a few FPS.

I also have a 1070, and I have shadows/terrain shadows on Flat, Visible Range on medium, no MSAA, and 1.4 PD. This gets me 40 fps the vast majority of the time (single player) even in heavier modules/maps. If you wanna adjust any of those, it'll probably have to be a trade-off. I prefer the extra sharpness of boosting PD personally and leaving the other things lower.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

After reading your comments and playing with the settings I ended up with this, which so far seems to be a decent tradeoff between eye candy and performance. I still need to consider cockpit illumination though. PD = 1.2

preview

And until I get a fan or something, I've removed the faceplate from the device. It's actually better FOV that way, and I totally don't mind something in peripheral vision.

Edited by Andrei