Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

So, I finally got myself into VR, having received Rift S yesterday.

Welcome to the "It's never perfect in VR" club :). For the smoothness - have you enabled ASW? Helps a lot.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading your comments and playing with the settings I ended up with this, which so far seems to be a decent tradeoff between eye candy and performance. I still need to consider cockpit illumination though. PD = 1.2

preview

And until I get a fan or something, I've removed the faceplate from the device. It's actually better FOV that way, and I totally don't mind something in peripheral vision.

I did the same except I found an a4 size piece of black foam, cut and wrapped it around the HMD so it stops incoming light from the sides. And blue-tac’d it on. Hopefully I more professional one will come along. Fov for me was slightly better than the cv1 anyways.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Welcome to the "It's never perfect in VR" club :). For the smoothness - have you enabled ASW? Helps a lot.

Haha, thanks! How do I do that? Been reading about it, but not found yet in settings :)

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

However i always turn it off, as it causes intense flickering if you look through the gunsight in IL2 BoX for example. And i noticed it in DCS too. During loadingscreens and in the menues.

It depends on many variables: your hardware, a module etc. The fact is - it makes world moving much smoother at a price of some artifacts.

Haha, thanks! How do I do that? Been reading about it, but not found yet in settings :)

I'm not sure about Rift S. With CV1 I use Oculus tray tool. Connect the hmd, start the tool, set ASW on or off and it guarantees to be the way you I set it unlike windows Ctrl-1,2,3,4 keys that are always a gamble.

Hi all, newish to DCS world but initially been using through the Rift CV1 and upgraded to the Rift S this week to try and make the cockpit useable in VR. When it works, it is a massive improvement, but the problem is this is all soooo unbelievably unstable it makes me think it wasn't tested properly. IF when I load the Oculus World runtime it doesn't blackscreen, there is a 50/50 chance it will blackscreen 2 seconds after the initial loadup of the DCS world menu. If this happens I have to try and reinsert the USB cable, then go back into the Oculus s/w and re-setup the device (despite it saying it is all connected and working properly) then restart the Oculus software and reboot about 1000 times then find it still doesn't work then do the USB thing again, etc, etc, etc. Still waiting for a response from Oculus helpdesk. Most frustrating. Promising, but frustrating. Everything is bang up to date on my PC which has a brand new Mobo, CPU plenty of RAM, RTX 2060 etc, and when it does work, as I say, it is amazing. I just hope they fix it in software soon and that it's not a defect in the hardware.

Oculus Rift S, RTX2060 Ryzen 5 2600 16GB, SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Voiceattack Plugin

How do you switch off ASW for the Rift S? The key combos Ctrl (num) 1 etc do not work at all

Do what ruskybeaver said - use Oculus Tray Tool to set it.

**edit - I'm not 100% sure if OTT works with the S yet, but if not, I'm sure it won't be long before it does. Should do, though, as they use the same drivers and software. - just checked on the OTT forum and yes, it should work ;)

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Do what ruskybeaver said - use Oculus Tray Tool to set it.

**edit - I'm not 100% sure if OTT works with the S yet, but if not, I'm sure it won't be long before it does. Should do, though, as they use the same drivers and software. - just checked on the OTT forum and yes, it should work ;)

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully

OTT works fine for me with Rift S.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So for what it's worth, after a week of messing with my Rift S I had enough and setup the return with Amazon. But of course now they are out of stock, so I went to Best Buy and purchased a new one. What do you know? The new Rift works perfectly out of the box. No black screen issues, no DP cable issues. I never even restarted the Oculus software after plugging in and out my original Rift S ten times trying to make it work.

So for what it's worth, after a week of messing with my Rift S I had enough and setup the return with Amazon. But of course now they are out of stock, so I went to Best Buy and purchased a new one. What do you know? The new Rift works perfectly out of the box. No black screen issues, no DP cable issues. I never even restarted the Oculus software after plugging in and out my original Rift S ten times trying to make it work.

:thumbup:

Glad you got a good one there!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

When I use the Rift S without my second monitor and without extention cables it works well. Only a small flicker once a hour occours. But if I try to use one of the above I got black outs after 30-45 minutes. I'll wait for the release of HP Reverb and maybe I'll switch to this HMD. If Reverb is not as good as some people say, I'll return my Rift S to get a replacement.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

When I use the Rift S without my second monitor and without extention cables it works well. Only a small flicker once a hour occours. But if I try to use one of the above I got black outs after 30-45 minutes. I'll wait for the release of HP Reverb and maybe I'll switch to this HMD. If Reverb is not as good as some people say, I'll return my Rift S to get a replacement.

I have been waiting for the Reverb as well, that is really the one that I want. But other than the not quite as nice blacks, I feel like the Rift S is just as good as the Vive Pro I have been using (minus the built in audio) and is way more comfortable for me to keep on my head. Once the Reverb is in the wild in the USA I will probably try that. I really only use my computer vr for racing and flying.

I Am looking into getting the Rift S but I keep hearing about this black screen. Is this a hardware problem or something that can be fixed by user or by updates?

My setup that I'm building

Intel i9 9900K

EVGA Z390 Dark

Corsair Vengeance LXP 32GB

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti

I had enough of my Rift S. Sending it back on monday; cant really say I like anything about it other than the clarity, but that would be a lie too considering the blurred edges and the narrower FOV for the extra space for ppl who wear glasses. Hell, I dont even think the new headband is all that great either; always fits on my head ever so slightly where it pulls the bottom of the face guard off my nose just a bit to show daylight. Ill save my money and get something worthwhile instead.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

I had enough of my Rift S. Sending it back on monday; cant really say I like anything about it other than the clarity, but that would be a lie too considering the blurred edges and the narrower FOV for the extra space for ppl who wear glasses. Hell, I dont even think the new headband is all that great either; always fits on my head ever so slightly where it pulls the bottom of the face guard off my nose just a bit to show daylight. Ill save my money and get something worthwhile instead.

I feel you. I brought mine back after 3 days. Too many negatives for me right now.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I Am looking into getting the Rift S but I keep hearing about this black screen. Is this a hardware problem or something that can be fixed by user or by updates?

Intel i9 9900K

EVGA Z390 Dark

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti

I suspect it is likely a problem that can be addressed in a firmware update, assuming they can get it figured out. I think there are more than one cause in the black screen issue. In my case I get the black screen with both my monitors running, if I disable my secondary monitor - monitor #2 in Windows, then I never get a black screen and my Rift S runs beautifully. So for now I disable that second monitor when I want to use the Rift S. I sure hope a future firmware update fixes this for me.

Other than the above issue for me, I am quite happy with my Rift S. Great image clarity and good performance. What was aggravating for me was all the troubleshooting I did to get to the point I found it was the second monitor being running that was causing it for me. Even sent my first headset back to Amazon for a replacement.

Oh and the stock audio is not that great, I use Klipsch Earbuds and get awesome sound.

Don B

Intel i9 9900K

EVGA Z390 Dark

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti

Curiously I never once had that black screen issue on my 980 16g i7 system. My 2 day old rig is very similar to what you listed and guess what black screen.

The tracking etc was working as on my monitor as I could move the view around with the Rift S but inside it was black and I could hear the music. Something else I noticed was that it went black at the crescendo of the menu music. Normally I do not use the Rift S headphones and I also don't have music on once I am set up but it was the first run on the new rig. It also reported my Display port wasn't plugged in.

Also of note. I have 2 USB external HDD's connected to the pc and they both disconnected and reconnected at the same time as the black screen.

The above happened twice in a row. A Rift software reset got it back the first time. The second I had to pull both the cables and plug them into different ports.

The third time the game loaded up and Oculus Home was up on my monitor but the headset was black as I did not have it on. I picked up the headset and I could see all the tracking was working so I put it on. When I did this the Rift S turned on and was good for a couple of seconds and then black screen along with the sound of USB devices disconnecting and reconnecting. Had to pull the cables.

!?!

I did 3 things then. First I turned off the power saving on the USB ports and then second is I have audio not coming through the Rift S and I have the music off.

No more black screen. Take from that what you will though dib's on the power saving.

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

I have a wide IPD and max out the setting on the CV1 for a clear picture. Has anybody tried the S that used the CV1 at max IPD setting. I would really like to get the S, but I think I am out of the acceptable IPD range.

Thanks,

Miles

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/05/15

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Yes I had the rift s for the day and returned it- I have a 69.9 ipd and its a blurry mess for me + headaches :( All though I cant use it for DCS the Oculus quest works fine with my IPD. For DCS I've been using the vive pro for now and love it! (its costly thought)

Keep in mind if you do a lot of night ops stick with an oled screen. The rift s LCD in night ops was like it had light layer of of white over black. I almost say its unplayable in night missions :(

Edited by Mbmanhattan

Hi Matt:

Marc here... I am looking at upgrading my PC by replacing some solid state hard drives with larger ones! Much larger! And I want to run with this Nvidia RTX 2080 TI

I also want to get into a VR head set. This is a new thing to me, so if anyone else here has suggestions for head sets lay it on me. But I wanted to ask you about this DSLR Oculus Rift S system your talking about here? Is this what you guys are talking about?

I looked it up after you mentioned it and I'm looking at it, but VR is a new thing to me. So can you guys recommend a decent top end Flight sim VR head set?

Thanx

DSF

Marc

Yes I had the rift s for the day and returned it- I have a 69.9 ipd and its a blurry mess for me + headaches :( All though I cant use it for DCS the Oculus quest works fine with my IPD. For DCS I've been using the vive pro for now and love it! (its costly thought)

Keep in mind if you do a lot of night ops stick with an oled screen. The rift s LCD in night ops was like it had light layer of of white over black. I almost say its unplayable in night missions :(

Thanks, I thought so, but wanted to confirm with someone who actually tried it.

I appreciate your quick response, I almost ordered it. I guess I will have to wait for the Index.

Miles

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/05/15

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Thanks, I thought so, but wanted to confirm with someone who actually tried it.

I appreciate your quick response, I almost ordered it. I guess I will have to wait for the Index.

Miles

So my IPD is 71.5 and honestly the Rift has been good for me. The blacks aren't as good but it's so much more comfortable than the Vive pro I've been using. Now I do use glasses so I can't use the whole view regardless, but it's so much more comfortable I'm sticking with the Rift S until the reverb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk