Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Yes my game rig is next to the window...with the curtains pulled so the window frame is obviously not visible.

Yes I have read about possible issues with lightbulb freq etc which is why I specifically went out and bought old-skool standard 50Hz light bulbs, which Oculus has recognized at 50Hz while set to Auto.

I actually read you shouldn't use the LED bulbs as you have.

hey vampireNZ. I've had this issue with elite dangerous and DCS and found a possible fix.

When I set the guardian up for my play area, the center was to my right from where I'm standing (naturally, the computer is not in the dead center of my room. It's tucked away in a corner). And when Oculus software loses positional tracking, it resets the game's center to the room's center, therefore putting me right outside the cockpit, above the left wing.

What I did for fixing it was, resetting the guardian zone to the immediate vicinity of my computer, while playing DCS and ED. Open your dash by pressing the oculus button, go to settings, click reset guardian. Instead of drawing your whole room, just set the forward position, ground level and paint a small square around you so that your seat will be in the center.

You can check the center position by deliberately moving against the guardian border and looking down. It will show an arrow, designating the center of your playing zone. It should be just below your seat.

Ah. Also, it might give you an error and say "your designated space is too small" and disable guardian completely. You won't see the boundaries when you come close to them, but I /think/ having no guardian will prevent resets as well. (will try now)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the Odyssey has a higher resolution than rift S on paper. That's what I have now. Some say it's not all that matters. The lenses are newer in the rift S so visuals may be clear but the panels are not oled so the colors won't pop as much as they do in the Odyssey.

Odyssey uses an OLED panel with a pentile layout, which has two green subpixels for every blue/red subpixel. This means a pentile screen has 1/3rd as many subpixels. Whereas the LCD panel in the S uses an RGB stripe layout, with an equal number of red/green/blue subpixels, all the same size. This means an RGB stripe panel can look much sharper than an equivalent resolution, or even higher resolution, OLED pentile panel, especially when looking at it up close like we do in VR. This is one reason most headsets are moving to LCD. Another is RGB stripe panels tend to be denser in their subpixel arrangement, resulting in less screen door effect.

Some pics to demonstrate:

Left RGB Stripe / Right Pentile

IsYw2J4.jpg

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

hey vampireNZ. I've had this issue with elite dangerous and DCS and found a possible fix.

When I set the guardian up for my play area, the center was to my right from where I'm standing (naturally, the computer is not in the dead center of my room. It's tucked away in a corner). And when Oculus software loses positional tracking, it resets the game's center to the room's center, therefore putting me right outside the cockpit, above the left wing.

What I did for fixing it was, resetting the guardian zone to the immediate vicinity of my computer, while playing DCS and ED. Open your dash by pressing the oculus button, go to settings, click reset guardian. Instead of drawing your whole room, just set the forward position, ground level and paint a small square around you so that your seat will be in the center.

You can check the center position by deliberately moving against the guardian border and looking down. It will show an arrow, designating the center of your playing zone. It should be just below your seat.

Ah. Also, it might give you an error and say "your designated space is too small" and disable guardian completely. You won't see the boundaries when you come close to them, but I /think/ having no guardian will prevent resets as well. (will try now)

Thanks for the advice - I just skip the guardian setup entirely now. I got sick or doing it over and over again as I have to re-do it regularly because Rift S always loses the 'playspace' or w/e. The center of my playspace is to my left when in my sim rig, but it resets me perfectly to the right of the pilots seat outside the aircraft at exactly the same spot every time.

It is a pretty big immersion killer - I have had to map a button on my joystick to re-centre VR view in DCS as it happens so often (used to use a button on my button box - but bit tricky when you are AAR or flying formation, low level etc!). It is definately a problem with DCS as I have had it happen when I am not moving my head at all - there is just a slight pause and bang the view resets to outside the cockpit on the RH side. Hasn't happened in any other game - but eh might just be the headset.

I was seconds away from hooking up with the tanker in the Tomcat and POOF I am floating right behind the probe lol. Made hooking up easy, but formation was tricky.

Am still undecided if I am going to keep it or send it back and just go back to my CV1 - it is very annoying. The tracking is pretty average also - there is a slight wobble/waver while in DCS sat perfectly still (plenty of light in room etc etc).

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Opt in to beta it will update to the beta then opt out and it will update itself again it take a while but it worked for me when I got a corrupted install once.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Thanks WindyTX

As it happens, after days of waiting and nothing happening (prompting me to ask the question on here) I turned the PC on last night and the first thing it did was update the firmware.

Regards

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Thanks for the advice - I just skip the guardian setup entirely now. I got sick or doing it over and over again as I have to re-do it regularly because Rift S always loses the 'playspace' or w/e. The center of my playspace is to my left when in my sim rig, but it resets me perfectly to the right of the pilots seat outside the aircraft at exactly the same spot every time.

It is a pretty big immersion killer - I have had to map a button on my joystick to re-centre VR view in DCS as it happens so often (used to use a button on my button box - but bit tricky when you are AAR or flying formation, low level etc!). It is definately a problem with DCS as I have had it happen when I am not moving my head at all - there is just a slight pause and bang the view resets to outside the cockpit on the RH side. Hasn't happened in any other game - but eh might just be the headset.

I was seconds away from hooking up with the tanker in the Tomcat and POOF I am floating right behind the probe lol. Made hooking up easy, but formation was tricky.

Am still undecided if I am going to keep it or send it back and just go back to my CV1 - it is very annoying. The tracking is pretty average also - there is a slight wobble/waver while in DCS sat perfectly still (plenty of light in room etc etc).

+1

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro

Maybe try putting the CV1 back on before you send the S back :)

Thanks for the advice - I just skip the guardian setup entirely now.

I think that will fix it but I'm not 100% sure. The surefire way to fix it is to draw a 2x2 m square around you in guardian (which will be the bare minimum for a valid guardian setup), and put yourself in the dead center. Then you can disable the guardian walls and boundaries so you don't get the warning lines when you move your head and put your controllers aside.

ALSO:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/78335/head-position-jumping-tracking-issue

guy reports it's been happening since 1.39. maybe the next driver will fix it and we won't even have to mess with guardian.

Edited by exnihilodub
appendage

ALSO:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/78335/head-position-jumping-tracking-issue

guy reports it's been happening since 1.39. maybe the next driver will fix it and we won't even have to mess with guardian.

Yep fingers crossed - I do know the performance of the Rift CV1 improved dramatically over the last few years and issues were fixed, so I hold hope Oculus will sort out these initial teething issues with the Rift S like viewpoint jumping and white flashes.

Will just stick with it, will try setup from rig seated position, as opposed to middle of gaming room - but I also use the headset for other Rift S experiences so use the whole room, not just the gaming rig.

An interesting read where everyone isn't so 'happy-clappy' about how amazing the Rift S is.....so reality. -

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1.4 PD and 2xAA with my Rift S.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The S has an extra 'Quality' or 'performande' setting that will greatly affect render target when supersampling.

It is set by default depending on your GPU, I suspect if you have a 1070 or lower gpu it will default to performance a 1080 and better it will default to Quality.

That quality setting is pretty much a straight supersampling of 1.2x right out of the gate.

So whatever supersampling value you set after this is a compounded multiplier.

You can find this setting in the Oculus device setting, right next to the software IPD.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

1.5 PD and 2xAA also.

I put through a ticket regarding the flashes and losing tracking/view resetting just to get it 'on paper'. Support advised me that indeed they are working on a firmware update to fix the flashes. Nothing about the view resetting.

In the meantime I have just done what exnihilodub suggested and set my position in Guardian setup while seated in my game rig - at least in that case when flying in DCS and the view resets it resets to exactly my flying position, not outside my aircraft.

Sort of stuffs it for any other game, but then I have only had the view reset a total of one time in anything else (Vader Immortal - reset view in-game) - so I definitely think the high frequency of resets is related to DCS somehow - maybe resources too taxed while flying so Rift S loses tracking often? Who knows.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From CV1 to Rift S

Guess Im lucky.

Have not had any tracking issues and hardly ever see white flashes.

PD 1.6.

2XAA

Very pleased with the Rift S

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Lucky here too :) No tracking issues in DCS at all. I have a space in my room where I play non sim games and a 'scale' Spitfire cockpit for DCS against the wall. However I disable the guardian completely.

Oh, yes, I do get the flashes tho'..but only one or two in a typical session.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Yep no problem here with tracking and Rift S, do not get view re-centering.

I have two niggles with the Rift S neither of which are deal breakers for me.

Very occasional white flash - not often at all.

I have to disable my secondary monitor or else get black screen in the Rift S, long as it is disabled and only running my primary monitor no black screens.

Hoping at some point a firmware update will take care of both of those.

Absolutely loving the Rift S though - especially that image clarity. Been using it daily since May 24th.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

PD in game 1.0; But in Oculus Tray Tools 1.6. It feels smoother for me then in game PD 1.6. But that can also be imagination.

2xMSAA, constand 40fps (ASW on).

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

Hi

i have PD set 1.5 and 2xMSAA, dont use tray tool as it never seems to work. Not check FPS, if its smooth happy day overall Living the Dream!!

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

Many people (check the Oculus forum) including me have had a similar problem. Un plugging and re plugging the display port plug on the PC fixes it for me at the start of a session. It then stays connected until I power down the PC. Next day, rinse and repeat.

It's going to be a software problem..Oculus will be working on it.:thumbup:

The problems still here,...

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro