Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

I run at 1.5 and 2x MSAA, everything else high, except shadows on low and default. I will try lowering to 1.2 when I get home. Perhaps there are just too many pixels at 1.5 and it defaults to ASW on?

Maybe but I am not sure.

I just increased PD to 1.4 to see how it did, same Persian Gulf Carrier Take Off mission, fps bopped between 77-80 fps. My aging eyes do not see a lot of difference in the two though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And another thing I noticed after increasing PD to 1.4 is my GPU temp went up by about 7c degrees and my boost clock lowered by about 150 MHz, so that might have played into it a little also. As I really did not perceive much difference in image clarity going to go back to 1.2 on the PD for now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

hear you about aging eyes :smilewink: mine are 70

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

I guess it’s my own fault for not asking. But the setup instructions for the Rift S suck. For instance, can anyone explain now to put the batteries in the controllers?

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

I guess it’s my own fault for not asking. But the setup instructions for the Rift S suck. For instance, can anyone explain now to put the batteries in the controllers?

I think there's a little magnet in them, because I notice when I slide the cover just a little, you can feel a pull. hold the controller with one hand. Just put your thumb at the top of the battery cover, and a little downward pressure, slide your thumb back. The cover should slide back.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I finally got my controllers set back up for the Hornet.

Just flew the Carrier Take Off mission in the Persian Gulf, flew around for a while and buzzed the ships a few times then landed on carrier.

My framerates stayed at 80 fps the whole time, even on the carrier take off.

Note I only run PD at 1.2 and 2x MSAA. But graphics are fairly high and it looks great.

I have been meaning to continue my learning for the Hornet so glad I finally got around to doing this.

How the heck do you do that I have a 2080TI 32 GB ram an i9-9900K an I get 40 frames no matter how high or low I set things in DCS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

How the heck do you do that I have a 2080TI 32 GB ram an i9-9900K an I get 40 frames no matter how high or low I set things in DCS

I have only a 4690K mildy overclocked to 4.2 GHz and a regular GTX 1080, but I can tweek my settings to get 80 fps. Primarily I need to turn shadows off and I run PD 1.0 with MSAA x2. But I tend to like things cranked up and usually settle for 40 fps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well not real sure except I do run with ASW off. I have PD currently set at 1.2 and use 2x MSAA.

Don B

Gents, I'm in need of some assistance from those of you who are in the know with regards to Rift S. I picked one up yesterday; install went smooth, I was impressed with the fit and the Oculus set up and using the controllers was all really cool. However, I spent this $ for DCS so I was chomping at the bit to get in the cockpit. I loaded DCS and all I see on my monitor is half of the DCS main menu. I put the goggles on and it's the 3D tiled room and a window saying, "DCS loading." I wait for almost 5 minutes and it fails to load. I thought maybe it was because DCS wasn't set up for VR. So I unplugged the Rift cables and start DCS. Get the settings all set up for VR, re-connect everything and re-load DCS. Same thing. I searched this forum and didn't find anything similar to the same issues. I found something on Redditt that seemed like the same issue including the 1/2 screen but it was the Rift, not the S version. Thanks in advance for the help.

Try whatever it suggest for the rift, it uses the same software as the S .

Next I would do is try running a repair on the Dcs install.

I would also consider deleting settings in the saved games folder, just backup bindings and missions before hand.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Gents, I'm in need of some assistance from those of you who are in the know with regards to Rift S. I picked one up yesterday; install went smooth, I was impressed with the fit and the Oculus set up and using the controllers was all really cool. However, I spent this $ for DCS so I was chomping at the bit to get in the cockpit. I loaded DCS and all I see on my monitor is half of the DCS main menu. I put the goggles on and it's the 3D tiled room and a window saying, "DCS loading." I wait for almost 5 minutes and it fails to load. I thought maybe it was because DCS wasn't set up for VR. So I unplugged the Rift cables and start DCS. Get the settings all set up for VR, re-connect everything and re-load DCS. Same thing. I searched this forum and didn't find anything similar to the same issues. I found something on Redditt that seemed like the same issue including the 1/2 screen but it was the Rift, not the S version. Thanks in advance for the help.

I experienced this for the first time with a CV1 after the last Oculus update . Had to start DCS from within Oculus instead of via Skatezilla's utility as i usually do .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Make sure you have enabled third party programs in the Oculus software.

In the Oculus desktop app, it is listed in the General tab of the settings menu as unknown sources - need to make sure that is turned on.

Edit: Also make sure your camera is enabled in the Windows 10 settings.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Also...start DCS from your desktop shortcut. :)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Okay, still having issues with Rift S & DCS. After a clean install of DCS World OpenBeta I loaded the Oculus program and DCS from my desktop. DCS pops up on my monitor, I put the goggles on and I'm in the tile room with a window that says "DCS Loading." After 5 minutes I give up and shut DCS down via task manager. Try again, this time from the VR room. Same thing, loading for a much shorter time and then it stops and takes me right back to the VR room.

To answer software questions, everything is up to date and VR settings are in effect in DCS. 3rd party is on in the Rift S settings as well. Thanks in advance for the continued help / suggestions....

Ok apologize if I don’t understand your problem, but you keep saying I start oculus and DCS from the desktop and then put the goggles on. I think what others are trying to say is start oculus, put the goggles on and select the virtual desktop with the oculus controllers and on your virtual desktop start DCS.

That is how start it and I did the same when I was using the Odessey +

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

I have exactly the same machine and I have the same problem, I use PD 2.5 (I prefer) I get with my Rift S 31 frames max.Never got 40 fps. I repeat:i9 9900k, RTX 2080 ti,32gb RAM,2 SSDs.

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

It's the same for me, 1.5.

Plus I don't find the visual gain when over 1.5 worth the loss of performances.

jojo, when using the debug tool to set SS at 1.5, is there a way to save that setting? Each time I reboot my PC it defaults to the standard value.

Also, do you launch DCS from within the debug tool?

Thanks

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Okay, still having issues with Rift S & DCS. After a clean install of DCS World OpenBeta I loaded the Oculus program and DCS from my desktop. DCS pops up on my monitor, I put the goggles on and I'm in the tile room with a window that says "DCS Loading." After 5 minutes I give up and shut DCS down via task manager. Try again, this time from the VR room. Same thing, loading for a much shorter time and then it stops and takes me right back to the VR room.

To answer software questions, everything is up to date and VR settings are in effect in DCS. 3rd party is on in the Rift S settings as well. Thanks in advance for the continued help / suggestions....

Camera is enabled in Windows 10?

Don B

I have exactly the same machine and I have the same problem, I use PD 2.5 (I prefer) I get with my Rift S 31 frames max.Never got 40 fps. I repeat:i9 9900k, RTX 2080 ti,32gb RAM,2 SSDs.

In my experience Setting PD (or Oculus SS) to 2.5 is an enormous amount of pixels to push for that rig in VR. I have a similar setup (with the GPU and CPU OC’d) and run SS @ 1.4 with a mix of medium, low and high (water) textures, no shadows, no cockpit illumination, no traffic, no chimney smoke, trees 80%, 0 clutter, 8x AF, 2x MSAA. I have ASW set to auto and can run mostly at 80fps except over densely populated areas or areas where there’s a lot of action going on (especially MP) where ASW kicks in and locks frames to 40fps.

With PD set to 2.5 you’ll guarantee ASW is on all the time (40fps max) and even then it’ll struggle to maintain that hence why you see sub 40fps numbers. I’d recommend lowering the PD to something between 1.0-1.5 for VR based on settings you prefer until some form of VR optimization is implemented

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

I figured the issue out after doing a more detailed search in here; turns out I wasn't the only one with the same issue. I had my monitor plugged into an HDMI on my GPU rather than a 1080 slot, it wasn't working. I moved the monitor to the 1080 and viola! It works - and it's freak'n amazing! Sorry to put you all through that and thanks again for your suggestions.

In my experience Setting PD (or Oculus SS) to 2.5 is an enormous amount of pixels to push for that rig in VR. I have a similar setup (with the GPU and CPU OC’d) and run SS @ 1.4 with a mix of medium, low and high (water) textures, no shadows, no cockpit illumination, no traffic, no chimney smoke, trees 80%, 0 clutter, 8x AF, 2x MSAA. I have ASW set to auto and can run mostly at 80fps except over densely populated areas or areas where there’s a lot of action going on (especially MP) where ASW kicks in and locks frames to 40fps.

With PD set to 2.5 you’ll guarantee ASW is on all the time (40fps max) and even then it’ll struggle to maintain that hence why you see sub 40fps numbers. I’d recommend lowering the PD to something between 1.0-1.5 for VR based on settings you prefer until some form of VR optimization is implemented

Yeah 2.5 is way overloading the system.

With my rig which is pretty beefy I run PD at .14 and MSAA at 2x.

Seems to give me the best visuals while maintaining decent performance.

Don B

Hi, PD set to 2.5 is so good to read the cockpit that for me it´s a must. But I was not complaining when I said my fps is around 31, with Process Lasso is fluid and excellent. P3D is fine too, my problem is with XP-11, but that´s another story.

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Im having problems with DCS and my Rift S when i look around in the cockpit does not matter what aircraft it is its like the rift is focused on the HUD and when I look to the left of the HUD the HUD moves to left and right and when i look at the wings its like the whole cockpit moves either right or left any ideas how to fix ... ive messed with the IPD and the pixel settings and nothing

Im having problems with DCS and my Rift S when i look around in the cockpit does not matter what aircraft it is its like the rift is focused on the HUD and when I look to the left of the HUD the HUD moves to left and right and when i look at the wings its like the whole cockpit moves either right or left any ideas how to fix ... ive messed with the IPD and the pixel settings and nothing

Sounds like your Rift is losing 3D tracking. The headset cameras need a reasonable amount of room lighting and something to latch on to..plain walls can be a problem.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional