Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Btw, the only real problem I experience now is a slight stutter/judder primarily raise and lower my head. It's not related to DCS, since I can see it on Oculus home screen too. Has anyone else experienced this. It's like the tracking is not 100% and is jumping a little sometims. The room is well lit btw.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had that and after testing everything i ended up getting a Rift-S replacement because i also had the idea that tracking didn't work 100% only to find out that the new one had the same problem. Previously i had a PCIe3.1 USB card installed (to avoid non detection of the Rift-S on the motherboards USB 3.0 ports) which gave me no problem for a week and then all of a sudden that stutter. Thought I swapped USB ports again but did this only on the PCIe USB ports, not with the motherboard ones.

So after getting the replacement, i found it had the same problem and only then i swapped back to the motherboard USB and the stutter was gone (but the detection problem was back).

To make it work i found out that i needed extra power on the PCIe USB 3.1 card. Needed to swap things around a bit in my tower to be able to reach that powerplug on the PCIe card, after that, no more issues. Then told in here that PCIe cards with ASMEDIA chipset could cause stutter. Mine had an ASMEDIA chipset so i swapped it again for another brand with Renesas chipset. This card also has a smaller PCIe port (1x) which allows me to put it in the smallest PCIe slot so it doesn't steal PCI lanes like the other one (which occupied a big PCI slot). In the end i didn't had stutter anymore the moment i plugged in the extra power.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I had that and after testing everything i ended up getting a Rift-S replacement because i also had the idea that tracking didn't work 100% only to find out that the new one had the same problem. Previously i had a PCIe3.1 USB card installed (to avoid non detection of the Rift-S on the motherboards USB 3.0 ports) which gave me no problem for a week and then all of a sudden that stutter. Thought I swapped USB ports again but did this only on the PCIe USB ports, not with the motherboard ones.

So after getting the replacement, i found it had the same problem and only then i swapped back to the motherboard USB and the stutter was gone (but the detection problem was back).

To make it work i found out that i needed extra power on the PCIe USB 3.1 card. Needed to swap things around a bit in my tower to be able to reach that powerplug on the PCIe card, after that, no more issues. Then told in here that PCIe cards with ASMEDIA chipset could cause stutter. Mine had an ASMEDIA chipset so i swapped it again for another brand with Renesas chipset. This card also has a smaller PCIe port (1x) which allows me to put it in the smallest PCIe slot so it doesn't steal PCI lanes like the other one (which occupied a big PCI slot). In the end i didn't had stutter anymore the moment i plugged in the extra power.

Interesting. I've thought about the USB port, and maybe I could benefit from using the Virtual Link port on the 2080 Ti instead. Atleast it can't hurt!

Interesting. I've thought about the USB port, and maybe I could benefit from using the Virtual Link port on the 2080 Ti instead. Atleast it can't hurt!

I am running mine through a powered USB 3 Hub connected to my 2080 Ti Virtual Link Port.

Working great for me, smooth as silk.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am running mine through a powered USB 3 Hub connected to my 2080 Ti Virtual Link Port.

Okay, sounds good. I will definitely try to power the Rift from the Virtual Link as soon as I can get hold of an adapter.

Btw, the only real problem I experience now is a slight stutter/judder primarily raise and lower my head. It's not related to DCS, since I can see it on Oculus home screen too. Has anyone else experienced this. It's like the tracking is not 100% and is jumping a little sometims. The room is well lit btw.

I use my old powered USB card recommended for the CV1 sorted the stutter as the on board Asus ports are not happy with oculus USB.

In MSI afterburner my card is at 80/90 percent usage sweet spot for the 1080ti.

Nvidia cards like to run "not under worked and not to over worked" you have to find the sweet spot for your card because with DCS it is the nature of the beast :thumbup:

Fred00 said:

It's not related to DCS, since I can see it on Oculus home screen too.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

From what I could gather there are no Virtual Link adapter for the Rift S yet. Should it be okay with just a USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter and plug it into the Virtual Link port?

From what I could gather there are no Virtual Link adapter for the Rift S yet. Should it be okay with just a USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter and plug it into the Virtual Link port?

Yes, I use it for my USB 3 on the Rift S.

Display Port is plugged into one of my display ports on my GPU.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I went out and bought the USB 3.0 to USB-C adapter and plugged the Rift S into the Virtual Link port on the 2080 Ti. Unfortunately it made no difference at all. Still the same jerky movement. Especially when moving my head up and down and left and right (without rotation).

Seriously, are your headsets smooth when doing this? No occasional stutters when looking at edges and moving the head in the way described above?

Sorry if the question was already asked but as this topic has quite a few pages I might have missed something even using search function.

I´m thinking about getting a Rift S but I am not sure about the sound.

How is the quality of the implemented speakers?

Would it be possible to comfortable wear a headset for communication while using the Rift S?

Okay, so I have tested some more. It seems that the whole problem of this slightly jumpy movement comes from ASW. I went into "Oculus: First contact". Looking at the thing before me on the desk, the movement was a bit jerky, like in DCS. I then hit CTRL-NUM 1 to shut of ASW, and lo and behold, the movement was a lot more smooth.

Maybe I'm just sensitive to ASW artifacts or something? In DCS we have no choice. Even on the best hardware we are not getting away from ASW. Maybe ASW 2.0 will help. :)

Sound is the weak point of the Rift S. Lots of people using in ear buds, headset has a jack built in.

Have not tried over the ear, but fit may be an issue due to the Rift headband.

Cheers

Would it be possible to comfortable wear a headset for communication while using the Rift S?

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Sorry if the question was already asked but as this topic has quite a few pages I might have missed something even using search function.

My Razer headset fits over the Rift S headband - barely . Kind of a pain to wear both , but worth it for better sound (and mic) .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I went out and bought the USB 3.0 to USB-C adapter and plugged the Rift S into the Virtual Link port on the 2080 Ti. Unfortunately it made no difference at all. Still the same jerky movement. Especially when moving my head up and down and left and right (without rotation).

Seriously, are your headsets smooth when doing this? No occasional stutters when looking at edges and moving the head in the way described above?

Yes mine is quite smooth, no jerkiness.

Don B

Thanks for your input!

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A6013 mit Tapatalk

The rift s is crap sound but you can give it a litte lift if you go to Enhancements > and tick "Headphone Virtualization" & "Loudness Equalization" but not Bass Boost.

I personally use a shoulder speaker system for bass and music demos.

The rift s is crap sound but you can give it a litte lift if you go to Enhancements > and tick "Headphone Virtualization" & "Loudness Equalization" but not Bass Boost.

I personally use a shoulder speaker system for bass and music demos.

Fully agree when using the built in audio strap.

I personally use earbuds with mine plugged into the Rift S headphone jack.

Sound is awesome.

Don B

I have to take back what I said. The jerkiness is present at all times ASW off or on. Maybe I was just trying to find the cause. Seems like more people are having the exact same problem:

Otherwise I really like the Rift S in VR, and I actually feel that it's usable and not just a gimmick. Just not sure I could get used to the less than perfect image stability/tracking.

I have to take back what I said. The jerkiness is present at all times ASW off or on. Maybe I was just trying to find the cause. Seems like more people are having the exact same problem:

Otherwise I really like the Rift S in VR, and I actually feel that it's usable and not just a gimmick. Just not sure I could get used to the less than perfect image stability/tracking.

When you shake your head slightly up and down does it feel like it is losing tracking ?

When you shake your head slightly up and down does it feel like it is losing tracking ?

It's hard to tell, but I don't think it is losing tacking. It almost feels like the tracking is a bit over sensitive. It's more apparent with a strafing movement (up/down/left/right) than head rotation. If I move my head up and down smoothly and semi-fast the movement is not perfectly smooth on the screen, but instead a bit jumpy. It also feels like the headset has problems handling sudden movements smoothly. I can't say that it feels like faulty hardware, more like a software/hardware feature that you just have to accept really. It may be a combination of screen technology and refresh rate, but it may also be that the tracking cameras and software are not good enough.

I will let my brother test it out later in the week. He has owned CV1 for a couple of years, so it will be interesting to hear his view.

Edited by Fred00