Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

I can only tell you in my many hours in a couple of combat flight sims on my Rift S I have not had this stuttering effect when looking around.

Only tracking issue I ever had with mine was after I first got it in May, the Touch Controllers would behave kind of like that - but they resolved that in a couple of software updates soon after release.

Do you see this effect outside of DCS?

How is your room lighting?

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found out when this effect shows: If there is something dark or black in the cockpit (like left and right of the UFC in the A-10C or the vertical displays beside the HUD in the F-16C) and the background for these is also dark but not as dark, you get some sort blurring of the edges in a sort of a wave effect. Noticed it the first time in the A-10C when flying low over the ocean after take-off and the ocean is quite dark grey at that moment (in the F-16 it were the black skidmarks on the runway that did it). The blur and wave effect are gone as soon as the background becomes lighter. In the A-10C it was the transition from ocean to sky as background, in the F-16 when the skidmarks moved under the aircraft and the runway became light grey again.

The shimmering effect you are seeing is an artefact created by ASW, which interpolates every second frame if your frame rate drops below 90 (and every third frame if you drop below 45).

Disable ASW by using Ctrl+numpad 1 (you may have to hit it several times for it to work), and this should remove the shimmering (but also cause some choppiness due to the loss of ASW).

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

What do guys who wear glasses do? Total noob here, and looking to get into VR.

Also, I need to order a Rift S and its not in stock at Amazon. Their website says that it will ship in 2 days. Reliable? I need it to reach Philly by 19th.

Any other site you guys can suggest where I can get a guaranteed delivery by that date?

I can only tell you in my many hours in a couple of combat flight sims on my Rift S I have not had this stuttering effect when looking around.

Only tracking issue I ever had with mine was after I first got it in May, the Touch Controllers would behave kind of like that - but they resolved that in a couple of software updates soon after release.

Do you see this effect outside of DCS?

How is your room lighting?

Not even when doing the test as described in my last post? It's buttery smooth?

It's visible in all games/menus, not just DCS. It's easier to spot when close to something. For example it's not really noticeable when looking outside of the cockpit.

This one is going back for refund, that's for sure. Need to decide whether I will try another one.

What do guys who wear glasses do? Total noob here, and looking to get into VR.

Drop in lenses, like those from https://vroptician.com/

This is just one example, there are other sellers too.

Works perfect!

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

It's visible in all games/menus, not just DCS. It's easier to spot when close to something. For example it's not really noticeable when looking outside of the cockpit.

This one is going back for refund, that's for sure. Need to decide whether I will try another one.

I am on my 2 rift s first one I had did feel like it's not tracking %100 I sold on but not for that reason tho, the second one I bought was used and is much better but to be honest now and then it seems to act like yours does so I am now going to sell on because when it happens it ****** me right off and hate the halo idea.

The shimmering effect you are seeing is an artefact created by ASW, which interpolates every second frame if your frame rate drops below 90 (and every third frame if you drop below 45).

Disable ASW by using Ctrl+numpad 1 (you may have to hit it several times for it to work), and this should remove the shimmering (but also cause some choppiness due to the loss of ASW).

I doubt ASW causes it because i have it with every setting: ASW On, Off or locked at 45 fps (i'm sure ASW Off is really "off" since the framerate then jumps up to 60-75).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Would you guys say its worth upgrading from cv1 to rift s?
Just did the same a week ago, and it's a massive step up. Do it - you will not regret it (provided your IPD is within range)

Sold my CV1 today, and before shipping I gave it one more go in DCS - while the CV1 still holds its own, it feels previous gen in comparison to the S.

In the CV1 @1.7 pixel density, everything inside the cockpit looks crisp (excluding text), but outside of the cockpit the jagged edges are really apparent. With the Rift S, other than the text being completely clear, the outside of the cockpit appears as clear as the inside does in the CV1 - if this makes any sense at all.

The image also appears to pop more in the S - color just seem more vibrant. Screen door effect is so much better that I hardly notice it at all.

Audio is not nearly as bad as its made out to be - after a week I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

Somr have complained about the black levels on the S - I didn't find it to be a problem at all. Same for the 80hz refresh rate - I cannot tell the difference.

Comfort wise, I find that halo style band much better. It doesn't put as much pressure on your face as the CV1 does, which makes longer sessions much easier. I did remote the nose guard as it was somewhat ticklish.

Many reviewers have criticized the S for not being a generation up from the CV1 - I tend to disagree, as the improvement is significant. I finally feel like VR has matured with the S, and for the first time I can say that I'm content with where my VR experience is right now.

Would you guys say its worth upgrading from cv1 to rift s?

Absolutely.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Currently at page 88 of this thread ;-)

Anyone here has a squint or a 'lazy eye'? I have one, so no idea how it would affect VR. I am an endoscopic surgeon, and I find 3d endoscopy not comfortable at all.

Edit: I mostly use one eye for near and the other eye for distance vision.

Edited by deepakvrao

Another interesting thing I discovered is that even with this gaming rig and its 1070 and I7 9600K running at only 4.7Ghz I am still getting a solid 40+ FPS in DCS with pretty middle of the road settings. I never thought I could reliably play in VR on this rig but so far its doing really well.

I think for those with less than killer gaming rigs, the Rift-S really scales well!

Madmatt

Is that an i5 9600K or an i7 9700K that you have?

Thanks.

I guess you need to put in your 'distance' prescription? Is that right? VR is at infinity?

Possible to use it with regular glasses too?

I always get confused by the far/near sighted thing. Never know which is which. If you don't have good vision for things far away, these lens adapters are for you, otherwise you don't need them.

After buying a Rift S (in August) and a HP Reverb (in late September), but sending them both back, I out of an impulse bought a Rift S again last friday. I just thought, last time I did not give it enough time to test everything, so maybe I missed somthing....

Well, after putting in quite a few hours now, most of my concerns I had back in August, still seem to hold true.

The thing, that right now annoys me most is, that I cant get it to run without hassle. I reinstalled and repaired Oculus home multiple times and removed and reinstalled the drivers also a few times (in all this took quite a few hours), but it seems, that my system does not want to see the second "Rift S USB Hub" in the device manager after startup. Sometimes its ok, if I just unplug the USB-cable and reconnect it, someting I have to swap to the Admin-Account and manually remove the device with the yellow exclamation-mark called "unkown device; link in compatibilty mode". Anyway, it usually takes at least 5 -10 minutes to resolve this situation to get the green lights in Oculus Home.

But thats not my question:

I really do dislike all the shimmering going on. Using 2x MSAA helps a bit (with 4x I dont see a difference). Especially the sea looks very bad. Going to low water quality, resolves the sea-related shimmering, but then again, the sea looks boring, not to say bad.

Is there a solution to this problem? I tried 4x MSAA or 2.0 PD, putting everything to low or high, but nothing did help.

One thing I like about DCS is its visual fidelity. Especially the sea looks IMO quite stunning on the monitor. But VR takes that all away...

The other two things I had concerns about, firstly the poor visibility/resolution into the distance including SDE and the small FOV I could get used to. Well, the FOV already isnt a real problem anymore.

Still Im not sure, if I will make the move to VR. After a few hours playing in VR I reverted to monitor again, which felt strange at first but I quickly got used to it. Still chances are higher for staying then reverting right now. If I decide to stay in VR it will be for sure the Rift S, since I do not expect much better experience with the Index, let alone my Hardware would be to weak for it anyway for reaonable settings. The Reverb I will not touch anymore for its bad cromatic abberation.

Not sure what my be going on with your Rift S. I can tell you it can be quite finnicky on USB 3 ports. Best to have it plugged into a port that is not shared in same hub with other devices.

I run my Rift S USB 3 through the Virtual Link C port on my 2080 Ti and it is solid as can be.

I run 2x MSAA and 16X AF in game and looks pretty good to me.

Don B

I currently also run 2x MSAA and 16x AF with most things on high (except civ traffic), shadows low and heatblur, depht of field, lens effeect, motions blur and SSAA off and get mostly 40fps in single player, which is good for me. I found out (also on monitor) not to look a the fps. If it is ok for me, its ok, no matter if its 32 fps or 95fps.

About the shimmering: its kind of like the shimmering of the trees in the Normandy-map. For sure comes from edge-smoothening.

Next time Ill try to delete the shader-folder after changing settings. Maybe this will make a difference. Especially since from 2x MFAA to 4x MFAA it dont seem to be a difference...

I also think, the Windows not recognizing the second Rift S USB Hub is probably a driver (conflict?) thing, because once ok, I was able to use it for two hous without any hassle (except for my Warthog to go dead for a few seconds twice.....); its plugged into one Mainboard-USB-outlet, whereas the Warthog is on a 4-way-hub with the pedals

After all I guess, I will have to do a complete system-reset; I already hate thinking about that!

Edited by Wali763

I currently also run 2x MSAA and 16x AF with most things on high (except civ traffic), shadows low and heatblur, depht of field, lens effeect, motions blur and SSAA off and get mostly 40fps in single player, which is good for me. I found out (also on monitor) not to look a the fps. If it is ok for me, its ok, no matter if its 32 fps or 95fps.

About the shimmering: its kind of like the shimmering of the trees in the Normandy-map. For sure comes from edge-smoothening.

Next time Ill try to delete the shader-folder after changing settings. Maybe this will make a difference. Especially since from 2x MFAA to 4x MFAA it dont seem to be a difference...

I also think, the Windows not recognizing the second Rift S USB Hub is probably a driver (conflict?) thing, because once ok, I was able to use it for two hous without any hassle (except for my Warthog to go dead for a few seconds twice.....); its plugged into one Mainboard-USB-outlet, whereas the Warthog is on a 4-way-hub with the pedals

After all I guess, I will have to do a complete system-reset; I already hate thinking about that!

The shimmering is just the nature of VR try changing the time of day.

Just had a thought have you tried changing the room lighting frequency as oculus set on auto gets it wrong some times.

Not sure what my be going on with your Rift S. I can tell you it can be quite finnicky on USB 3 ports. Best to have it plugged into a port that is not shared in same hub with other devices.

I run my Rift S USB 3 through the Virtual Link C port on my 2080 Ti and it is solid as can be.

I run 2x MSAA and 16X AF in game and looks pretty good to me.

Does the Rift have a USB or USB c plug? I presume a USB A right? DO you use an adapter to connect it to the USBc on the Nvidia?

Does the Rift have a USB or USB c plug? I presume a USB A right? DO you use an adapter to connect it to the USBc on the Nvidia?

Yes.

Don B

Another question guys. I dont live in the US, so this concept of buying something, opening, trying and having 30 days to return is kind of strange to me. I know it's kind of taken for granted in the US, but I'm curious as to what the company does with returned units? Sell them all as open box at a loss?