Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Closing "Oculus VR Runtime Service" under "OVR Service Launcher" in Task Manager under "Background Services" turns off the headset and the light goes red/orange. I think that it's best to not leave it powered but could be wrong.

White or orange led is not an indication of power but more an indication if the Oculus Service is running and there are no errors.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a message this morning that the drivers needed an update (PTC channel).

Got updated to V12.1

The What's New link reveals: Oculus Software Version 12.1.

Well, i do know that but what is really new here? Oculus info is rubbish.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Got a message this morning that the drivers needed an update (PTC channel).

Got updated to V12.1

The What's New link reveals: Oculus Software Version 12.1.

Well, i do know that but what is really new here? Oculus info is rubbish.

They could tell you, but then would have to kill you.

Better to just be in the dark.

:smartass:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks Lange. That actually makes more sense.

That said does the headset go into a low power sleep mode when like a monitor? I've developed the habit of turning off my monitor due to where I live and probably should do the same with the headset. Getting a replacement for either of them here would be a major pain. Our power is reasonable stable but surges and outages are not infrequent.

The annoying thing about those Oculus-background-services (OVRServer_x64.exe) is, that they are running all the time; even if Oculus Home is not running/started. And looking at the tastmanager its using quite a bit CPU. Usually in the range of 0,2-2%....

I now change those services to be started manually and let OculusTrayTool do the start.

So the services only run, when Im actually using the headset.

That said does the headset go into a low power sleep mode when like a monitor?
Sort of, the screen only comes to life when you put it on your head.

Just FYI, I've noticed that if I don't close out of the oculus app after use my hand controller batteries drain quick! Since learning this and closing the app after each use, I have greatly extended my hand controller battery life.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Controller batteries dying is why I started closing the Oculus Runtime Service. As Lange said up thread the headset remains powered (at some level) but I no longer have controller batteries dying frequently.

I solved the battery problem a long time ago: by leaving them out except when I absolutely need them. The batteries haven't died yet and it has been quite a long time since I got my Rift S. I primarily used VR for flight sims and don't want floating hands when I have HOTAS, MFDs, and even the keyboard/mouse within easy reach. So, I put a battery in one of the controllers and use it to close the default store window, then open the virtual desktop. Then I take out the battery and use the keyboard/mouse to start applications before finally starting DCS World or other such sims like Aces High 3, Aerofly FS2, and Prepar3d.

The only sim I use controllers with is the Project Mercury capsule simulation I got from Steam. I don't care for my hands floating in space pretending to hold the stick and throttle when I can rest them on a real stick and throttle.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's only my preference but closing the Oculus Runtime Service is far easier than messing with the controllers every time. With Oculus running I find they appear to be in a low power state until I move one. They also aren't enabled in DCS. No dangly hands. Either way, I don't have any battery gobbling problems any more.

Omg ordered Rift S yesterday, can't wait. My hardware is not the best atm but GPU update later should do the trick :thumbup:

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Omg ordered Rift S yesterday, can't wait. My hardware is not the best atm but GPU update later should do the trick :thumbup:

:thumbup:

Enjoy!!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

enjoy

your hardware seem good enough to enjoy the dcs world in vr not the best on the today market for the gpu side but it could provide you a very good experience!!!

welcome aboard of rift s users....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Guys I have a simple question, what are the best settings for quality/fps with following specs for rift S :

cpu 8700k@5.0 ghz

gpu : 2080TI

ram : 32gb ddr4@3600 mhz

What are the best PD and SS, and what about this AWS on or off??

Thank you!!

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Yep, I do this every time. Only takes a few seconds. I use the rear headrest as a sort of reference. I really feel like I'm sitting in the cockpit seat when I do this.

hi Mate

how do you achieve this? I mean how do you change the VR FOV or seat position as you calll it ?

Thank you!

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

What are the best PD and SS, and what about this AWS on or off??

Look at ASW as an Adaptive VSync. With ON: If you can maintain 80FPS, it will switch to that, if it can't it will switch to 40 and then 20...

With ASW OFF it will jump up and down true the whole range.

I set mine to 45 locked (which is 40 for the Rift-S) with the Oculus Tray Tool.

how do you achieve this? I mean how do you change the VR FOV or seat position as you calll it ?

Cockpit_Camera_Move_xxxxx in your bindings.

I'm dealing with connection problems since the beginning but i found a way around it.

My onboard USB 3.0 was not good enough to detect the Rift-S after a shutdown. On a rare occasion it was possible to play around a bit with the USB entries in the Device Manager but unplugging and re-plugging was the trick with a dive under the desk each time.

Then came a PCI USB 3.0 card but that sat in a big (GPU) slot and recuded the 16x3 lanes down to 8x3 (loss in performance was around 1-2%). This one i then replaced by another one which fitted in the smallest PCI slot.

In general this works nice but...each time the PC is started, it's always a question if the Rift-Sis recognised by the Oculus software, sometimes it is, sometimes it's not giving a very short message on the top of the Oculus software: Oculus isn't compatible with this hardware.

I needed a screenshot at the right moment to read what was actually in that red banner.

If that message came, the Rift-Sshowed connected but not active and Windows then popped up a message from Oculus that the headset could not be detected.

Since i put the PCI card in, a dive under the desk wasn't needed anymore, i could get it connected with the restart of the Oculus software (offered on the connection page). Mostly 1 restart would do the trick to get the connection right but sometimes 2 or even 3 times was needed to make the connection.

Then i started playing around with the Oculus service.

First i set it to manual and let it start by Oculus but that didn't work. Same result as always, sometimes detected, sometimes not.

Then i used the Oculus Tray Tool to do this but that didn't work either, same result as before.

But since a week i set the Oculus service to manual and start it through a little program called Oculus ON (i have an OFF version too). I guess these are just CMD line instructions poured into an exe file to start and or stop the Oculus service.

If i now start the PC, then run the Oculus_ON.exe to start the service and i then start the Oculus software, detection of the headset always works.

I don't know anymore where i got them from so i uploaded them in case someone is interrested:

Link: http://users.telenet.be/lange/download/Oculus_ON-OFF.7z

You have a nice workaround so it’s ok but I think that the issue could be solved by some bios settings because it seems related to startup sequence.

For example, it’s not rare that the PCIe x4 port bandwidth is shared with something else (SATA port or front panel usb port). Other idea is to verify in the device manager that the power management settings is not enabled at the PCIe USB ports level.

Note that I find stupid that the oculus services are started by default at startup. I like your workaround that looks like s better design overall and avoid battery drain also

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

I have nothing special in the BIOS regarding startup sequence (nothing at least that i can control). The PCI bandwith i have to check but i don't think it matters since all is fine on a manual startup. Power management is disabled.

I also had problem with the Rift S not being recognized by Windows correctly, which resulted in only one "Rift S USB hub" in the device-manager instead of two.

I then got 10 days ago an USB-PCI-card, but that did not work either. But I also did not take enough time to find a solution. The card was from Digitus and quite dated (came out 2012) and has a Via-Chip on it. Since Win10 only recognizes one device (should be three) I had to install also the drivers from the CD and then also the USB3-hubs were recognized. But then OculusHome said USB not compatible, even having most lights green. Uninstalled the drivers again and only use them as standsrd USB2-ports for keyboard mouse etc now. Also did not try more, since I got on the same day the powered USB-hub, that solved it for me.

That powered USB3-Hub is from Anker (https://geizhals.eu/654288778) and except for one occasion the Rift S works without problems now. Maybe 15-20 hrs DCS and for sure 50+ startups now. I have it always connected, though stored in a closed and cushioned box when not in use. As said above, the related Oculus-services are not started at Windows-startup, but only with OTT and also get shut down, when I close OTT. Only problem here is, that OTT cant startup OculusHome by itself. When doing so, at OculusHome startup it says something like "checking system" and after 1 or mins recommends a repair of Oculus home. So I start Oculus Home manually after OTT.

The one occasion, where it did not work, was when I installed a new .M2-SSD exclusivly for DCS and transfereed all 170GB to the new SSD. At the next (or one of the next) bootup, the Rift S was not recognized. But since that all is ok.

Im far from being a fan of Amazon since I think its along with Microsoft, Google and Facebook VERY problematic (and as a sidenote more problematic than Huawei), but my statement I always made, when my wife again ordered somthing form them seems to really be true: "There isnt a problem, an order from Amazon cant fix!" :doh:

Edited by Wali763

This is as real as it gets. Impressive device indeed. Bought Rift S and I am in awe. Flat screen doesnt do DCS justice. It comes alive in VR. Bye Flat screen. Thank you Eagle Dynamics.

Way to go.

It is hard for me to see some say vr is not there yet and they are going back to 2d screen.

Aparently the resolution in 2d is better but vr immersion is unsurpassed in my opinion.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Way to go.

It is hard for me to see some say vr is not there yet and they are going back to 2d screen.

Aparently the resolution in 2d is better but vr immersion is unsurpassed in my opinion.

I actually fly better now in VR than in 2D screens. My landing is now on spot. Plus I kill more bandits now in VR than in 2D. :lol:

I am never going back to 2D:lol: