Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Have you tested different numbers for Mask?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been flying the Cold Start Hornet mission from the Roosevelt Super Carrier.

I start up the Hornet, taxi to the catapult and work with the crew to get her hooked up and launched.

Great fun and gorgeous in my Rift S. I then cruise around for a bit and then return to the Carrier for landing. Had a blast doing it a good part of yesterday and today.

I found something interesting. I have my cockpit shadows on high, and had the terrain shadows on flat only. When I would first get in the cockpit of the Hornet to start it up, there are a couple of hornets on the catapults to take off. Whilst they were there, my fps would drop below asw of 40 fps, down around 27-30 fps. Once they took off I was back to 40 fps.

I went in and changed the terrain shadows from flat only to default. Well I gained performance after doing that. It never dropped below 40 fps when I first got in cockpit, and went up to 80 fps even quicker after takeoff. Seems like used to be flat only shadows gave better performance, but now it is not for me - default gives me better which was intersting, but a nice pleasant surprise.

Thought I would share than in case anyone else might want to give a shot.

I have also been playing with MSAA mask size, and can not see any visible or performance difference, so I have it set full over on 1.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I found something interesting. I have my cockpit shadows on high, and had the terrain shadows on flat only. When I would first get in the cockpit of the Hornet to start it up, there are a couple of hornets on the catapults to take off. Whilst they were there, my fps would drop below asw of 40 fps, down around 27-30 fps. Once they took off I was back to 40 fps.

Interesting, have to try this later. How is your performance if the hornets is only parked and catapults are empty? I have solid 40fps when SC is clean but drops to 22-30fps if there is other hornets parked. Using medium shadows and flat terrain (with mod).

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Interesting, have to try this later. How is your performance if the hornets is only parked and catapults are empty? I have solid 40fps when SC is clean but drops to 22-30fps if there is other hornets parked. Using medium shadows and flat terrain (with mod).

What are you using to show the FPS please? I was using the oculus one but since 2.5.6 that disappears to the the back of DCS....or is it working again?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you using to show the FPS please? I was using the oculus one but since 2.5.6 that disappears to the the back of DCS....or is it working again?

Thanks in advance.

Ingame fps counter, RCTL+pause. Yeah visual hud is not working since 2.5.6 so have to use fps counter for now..

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Hi! Thanks for the review.

I was thinking about upgrading my screen from a 22 to a 27 in with prices ranging from £190 to £300 or so, depending on the refresh rate.

Obviously, this VR set would be more expensive, so I would like to know if it makes things easier to keep track of a target (after a merge for example), which is the primary reason why I considered upgrading my screen in the first place?

Thanks for the review anyway. Fly safe!

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Still maintains 40 fps. I do not get my 80 fps till after I fly off the deck. But no drops below 40.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi! Thanks for the review.

I was thinking about upgrading my screen from a 22 to a 27 in with prices ranging from £190 to £300 or so, depending on the refresh rate.

Obviously, this VR set would be more expensive, so I would like to know if it makes things easier to keep track of a target (after a merge for example), which is the primary reason why I considered upgrading my screen in the first place?

Thanks for the review anyway. Flay safe!

I think it’s personal preference. Although the resolution isn’t as good as a monitors, the head tracking being a 1:1 ratio means that I am able to spot targets in a merge much better than I used to on a 1080p monitor.

Some people though have a really hard time picking out targets in VR due to the nature of VR being not as refined graphics as a monitor.

Also- I was using facetracknoir before which although it works is not nearly as stable as either VR or even trackir. I don’t regret the purchase, but I know that I’m still waiting until VR becomes less demanding on computers and better quality visual.

If you can see the contact clearly enough, dogfighting in VR is not only a better, more immersive experience, but maintaining situational awareness is far easier. But you have to get past that first little tick: spotting the contact and preferably keeping the contact close enough to see his aspect. Supercarrier bogs down my VR headset a bit much, so I had to turn off shadows.

My desktop monitor is a 49-inch TCL 4K TV. The image quality is amazing and I can generally maintain 60 fps with very high quality settings. I have TrackIR tuned very well: smooth but able to look around quickly enough. Supercarrier is stunning in 4K as well as flying over Nevada and the Persian Gulf.

If I could keep only one way to fly, it would be a tough call. 1:1 head tracking and feeling like you are really in the cockpit or amazing visuals and the ability to relax and see everything around me besides the VR world: i.e. my rum and coke, MFDs, and keyboard. But I don't have to choose one or the other. I only have to shut down DCS World, switch tracking software between Oculus Home and TrackIR, then choose the right shortcut to automatically start DCS in the correct mode. I am using the DCS Configuration Manager to generate shortcuts for all four possibilities: regular install, VR regular install, open beta, and VR open beta.

The big strike against the large flat monitor with TrackIR beyond the lack of 1:1 movement is the vertical field of view. The width of my screen almost covers the VR field of view so it is only in the vertical that I lose so much of the view, but that is exactly what I need for dogfighting and flying helicopters. But the ability to spot and identify contacts at much longer ranges as well as clearly see their aspect is extremely useful.

One can only hope that VR for PC flight simulators will stick around and that the cpus and gpus will progress to the point to equal or exceed the visual quality of 4k displays and maybe even use a field of view larger than peripheral vision. All I can do is wait and see... and make the best of what is already available.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think it’s personal preference. Although the resolution isn’t as good as a monitors, the head tracking being a 1:1 ratio means that I am able to spot targets in a merge much better than I used to on a 1080p monitor.

Some people though have a really hard time picking out targets in VR due to the nature of VR being not as refined graphics as a monitor.

Also- I was using facetracknoir before which although it works is not nearly as stable as either VR or even trackir. I don’t regret the purchase, but I know that I’m still waiting until VR becomes less demanding on computers and better quality visual.

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I guess it's just a notch too high for me right now, I'd be limited by my CPU and upgrading this means motherboard, then RAM etc.

A good 27' and extra RAM will do me for a couple of years and I'll have time to learn the basics of flying those things...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

If you can see the contact clearly enough, dogfighting in VR is not only a better, more immersive experience, but maintaining situational awareness is far easier. But you have to get past that first little tick: spotting the contact and preferably keeping the contact close enough to see his aspect. Supercarrier bogs down my VR headset a bit much, so I had to turn off shadows.

My desktop monitor is a 49-inch TCL 4K TV. The image quality is amazing and I can generally maintain 60 fps with very high quality settings. I have TrackIR tuned very well: smooth but able to look around quickly enough. Supercarrier is stunning in 4K as well as flying over Nevada and the Persian Gulf.

If I could keep only one way to fly, it would be a tough call. 1:1 head tracking and feeling like you are really in the cockpit or amazing visuals and the ability to relax and see everything around me besides the VR world: i.e. my rum and coke, MFDs, and keyboard. But I don't have to choose one or the other. I only have to shut down DCS World, switch tracking software between Oculus Home and TrackIR, then choose the right shortcut to automatically start DCS in the correct mode. I am using the DCS Configuration Manager to generate shortcuts for all four possibilities: regular install, VR regular install, open beta, and VR open beta.

The big strike against the large flat monitor with TrackIR beyond the lack of 1:1 movement is the vertical field of view. The width of my screen almost covers the VR field of view so it is only in the vertical that I lose so much of the view, but that is exactly what I need for dogfighting and flying helicopters. But the ability to spot and identify contacts at much longer ranges as well as clearly see their aspect is extremely useful.

One can only hope that VR for PC flight simulators will stick around and that the cpus and gpus will progress to the point to equal or exceed the visual quality of 4k displays and maybe even use a field of view larger than peripheral vision. All I can do is wait and see... and make the best of what is already available.

Thank you.

Yes, I can clearly see the advantages as situation awareness was my principal worry, but as I mentioned to ricktoberfest, I am currently limited by my processor which apparently is below the recommended required specs for the Rift S in terms of bench performance.

I'm stocked with an AMD FX-4300 which I can only push to 3,917 GHz without starting to fiddle with my motherboard buses power settings, something I refuse absolutely to do, it's fitted with a very good Artic Freezer cooler, so it's real safe at this speed, but I'm not going to touch the buses settings.

I have checked on the manufacturer site and the minimum would be a Ryzen 3 1200, that's "up to 3.4GHz" but much faster on the bench, so before I can even consider the VR option, I would need to know that at least I'm not going to be penalized by this bottleneck.

• 2 weeks later...
this patch nailed VR for me, absolutely awesome performance, in MP, busy server 1100 units, not a stutter to be seen. New MSAA works a treat, im running almost max settings with 4x MSAA. Thanks ED.

What are your system specs?!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have been flying the Cold Start Hornet mission from the Roosevelt Super Carrier.

I start up the Hornet, taxi to the catapult and work with the crew to get her hooked up and launched.

Great fun and gorgeous in my Rift S. I then cruise around for a bit and then return to the Carrier for landing. Had a blast doing it a good part of yesterday and today.

I went in and changed the terrain shadows from flat only to default. Well I gained performance after doing that. It never dropped below 40 fps when I first got in cockpit, and went up to 80 fps even quicker after takeoff. Seems like used to be flat only shadows gave better performance, but now it is not for me - default gives me better which was intersting, but a nice pleasant surprise.

Thought I would share than in case anyone else might want to give a shot.

I have also been playing with MSAA mask size, and can not see any visible or performance difference, so I have it set full over on 1.

Very interesting, I will try that.

I have been trying the new P-47, in Caucasus I had around 36-51 fps, but in the new Channel Map it fell to 24-30, which is a tad too low.

I'll see if it helps to switch Terrain shadows to Default.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have a rift s which I’ve had for a while, but for some time has been dropping tracking on forward and backward movement. I have tried almost everything in the suggestions except buying a usb 3 pci card.

My question is this , Is there anyone who has not sorted the tracking problem permanently?

Ps have tried ,room lighting, I have usb3 different slots tried. Powered usb hub, repaired oculus, unticked usb power settings in windows and many reboots.so now nearly at the end of trying.

I would like to know if anyone has NOT solved this problem.

Thanks for your time all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] This must be reality, no sim can have this many bugs!

13700kf, 4090, 64gb.  HP g2.

I loved TrackIR so much for so long, but the depth perception and scale is what makes VR and experience that can't be matched.

Seeing a new life-size cockpit for the first time always takes my breath away.

Maybe i expected too much after reading and researching this headset but after initially being blown away by the first time i loaded into a 3d cockpit and the scale etc i have to admit the experience in general, left me a little bit disappointed.

I can see why people put up with the current VR limitations though and im pretty excited to see how good the next gen VR and PC hardware is and how much of a leap forward VR will take in DCS in the next year or so.

Maybe i expected too much after reading and researching this headset but after initially being blown away by the first time i loaded into a 3d cockpit and the scale etc i have to admit the experience in general, left me a little bit disappointed.

I can see why people put up with the current VR limitations though and im pretty excited to see how good the next gen VR and PC hardware is and how much of a leap forward VR will take in DCS in the next year or so.

Exactly the same here mate. I’ve just gone back to TrackIR after 6 months of the Rift S. The initial wow was exactly that, wow. But, once I was used to it I started focusing on the degraded graphics, the ASW with the ghosting effect etc and I found I wasn’t enjoying the sim. Don’t get me wrong, TrackIR is a step back and I do miss the VR immersion but the sim now looks absolutely awesome on my monitor and I’m now used to TrackIR again. I nearly pulled the trigger on a Reverb but I still think, even with the increased clarity, that I’ll be in the same boat with that after a week or so...

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Tend to find 2 camps with VR, the ones that like it generally are running the latest hardware, and yes its expensive. And yes that means Reverb or RIft S with a machine that can run them. Also very much depends on the user's eyesight itself.

Those that have an OK experience or sub par tend to be running the last generation of graphics cards /CPU's.

Ignoring ED's specs on what you would need, and to be able to have PD up high with the setting high, therefore to get clear images you need to be running the latest hardware and by this i mean

Min 32GB (NOT 16gb) DDR4 Ram @ min 3mhz / CPU i7 (97000k) or above running at min at 4.9Ghz / RTX (yes not GTX) 2080ti and definitely not below a RTX 2080.

With this VR is pretty amazing, i've messed around with all different hardware on test beds and this is the spec to get good eye candy. To lose the immersion factor is just not worth it and that includes an ability to run it on high end gaming monitor widescreen, 65inch 4k screen and a 120 inch 4k projector screen.

Lastly, yes ED need to make many improvements on solving memory leaks, optimisation and using multi core etc etc etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Tend to find 2 camps with VR, the ones that like it generally are running the latest hardware, and yes its expensive. And yes that means Reverb or RIft S with a machine that can run them. Also very much depends on the user's eyesight itself.

Those that have an OK experience or sub par tend to be running the last generation of graphics cards /CPU's.

Ignoring ED's specs on what you would need, and to be able to have PD up high with the setting high, therefore to get clear images you need to be running the latest hardware and by this i mean

Min 32GB (NOT 16gb) DDR4 Ram @ min 3mhz / CPU i7 (97000k) or above running at min at 4.9Ghz / RTX (yes not GTX) 2080ti and definitely not below a RTX 2080.

With this VR is pretty amazing, i've messed around with all different hardware on test beds and this is the spec to get good eye candy. To lose the immersion factor is just not worth it and that includes an ability to run it on high end gaming monitor widescreen, 65inch 4k screen and a 120 inch 4k projector screen.

Lastly, yes ED need to make many improvements on solving memory leaks, optimisation and using multi core etc etc etc.

Performance was never an issue with mine. It ran at 40 FPS all day long and even 80 FPS a lot of the time. My friend has a rig running a 2080Ti, 32gb RAM and a CPU running nearly 5ghz and he doesn’t get any better performance than me. It’s the ASW artifacts and the general degradation of the graphics that I couldn’t live with. You certainly don’t need 32gb RAM and a 2080Ti to make VR in DCS absolutely amazing. It doesn’t matter what hardware you throw at it, you cannot run any VR headset without motion reprojection and with that comes a lot of artifacts, ghosting etc, that broke the immersion for me.

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Performance was never an issue with mine. It ran at 40 FPS all day long and even 80 FPS a lot of the time. My friend has a rig running a 2080Ti, 32gb RAM and a CPU running nearly 5ghz and he doesn’t get any better performance than me. It’s the ASW artifacts and the general degradation of the graphics that I couldn’t live with. You certainly don’t need 32gb RAM and a 2080Ti to make VR in DCS absolutely amazing. It doesn’t matter what hardware you throw at it, you cannot run any VR headset without motion reprojection and with that comes a lot of artifacts, ghosting etc, that broke the immersion for me.

Did you ever try without ASW? I’ve tried ASW a few times and hate it, but can run It all day long with it off getting 40-50fps and everything smooth and fine

Did you ever try without ASW? I’ve tried ASW a few times and hate it, but can run It all day long with it off getting 40-50fps and everything smooth and fine

Yeah tried it with it off, forced, adaptive, you name it but it’s only smooth with ASW on auto. My mate with the 2080Ti’s is the same. If he switches ASW off the frames jump about and it’s juddery as hell. Like mine....

To be fair I’ve read a lot of posts from people who have good results without ASW but also a lot who can’t run without it . Very odd. If there was a way of locking the frames to say 60 for example, without ASW, then that’d be bang on. I’ve tried everything mate...

Edited by 30mikemike

Cant we limit fps now in nvidia control panel and does that affect VR?

Certainly can for 2D as I limit mine to 60fps to make TrackIR smooth, but I’m not sure it works like that for VR...I’ve never tried it.

I have to agree with this, whilst the op is correct of course the better pc you have the better experience you will have for the most part however I also had decent performance it was never really about that but more about the actual headset and screen tech.

For the record also i didn't hate the VR experience, and for the money, the rift s is a brilliant bit of kit for DCS just as long as you're not expecting too much.