Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

I don't like the S2 with DCS. The IPD can't be changed mechanically, so it can't be adjusted to fit my eyes well enough. I have to set the CV1 IPD to the maximum setting to get the right look when I'm parked on the ramp. Which means, it looks like I'm sitting with my head 8-12 feet above the ground, depending on aircraft. If you put the mechanical IPD to the minimum setting, it looks like you're but is practically sitting on the ground from the cockpit. Even the IPD setting in the game doesn't have the same effect as the mechanical adjustment. The game setting only changes the apparent size of the cockpit. With the software setting, you can make the cockpit so small that it looks like you're wearing it like a helmet on your head, or so big that you feel like a new born flying the aircraft...but, the mechanical adjustment only seems to affect your vertical height...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all. I bought my Rift S just one week ago, so I’m new to VR. Anyone know if it is possible, and if yes how, to increase the rate of head rotation (e.g. in a way similar to Track-Ir) ? In fact, with oculus I found that the head movements reflects exactly the reality, so to have a sight beyond the 90 degrees on the left or on the right, I have to turn completely the body, which is not easy while sit in the cockpit. I do not even reach the sight of the left or right wing. Any clue on this ?

thanks

I don't think it is possible.

But even if it is, it would make you really sick... I wouldn't recommend that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

Hi all. I bought my Rift S just one week ago, so I’m new to VR. Anyone know if it is possible, and if yes how, to increase the rate of head rotation (e.g. in a way similar to Track-Ir) ? In fact, with oculus I found that the head movements reflects exactly the reality, so to have a sight beyond the 90 degrees on the left or on the right, I have to turn completely the body, which is not easy while sit in the cockpit. I do not even reach the sight of the left or right wing. Any clue on this ?

thanks

Well that is kinda the point of virtual reality...

:smilewink:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yup. That makes it more like the real deal. In in-cockpit video taken during air combat engagements, the pilots are always straining and craning to keep their eyes on the target. Don't know how they can still do that while pulling Gs. :surprise:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Is't due to the limited FOV's VR headsets have over real life sight. You can increase your head movement with a tool like OpenTrack. I tried that because of a limitation in head movement when turning to the right. It works but it caused quite some nausia because it's really weird. It's not like TrackIR where you still have some surround reference, in VR you don't have that. But you're milage may vary.

Edited by Lange_666
Typo's, more then one of them. Happens when typing on a smartphone.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Many thanks guys... so I'll practice better neck twists :cry:

Try using a swivel chair for a little assitance.

Also, use your whole body, i.e.if you merge with a bandit, and he´s flying by your right side, instead of being static body and turning your neck like Linda Blair, drop your LEFT shoulder and look for the bandit behind you.

Check this video, the pilot is dropping shoulders at every movement but once.

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Many thanks guys... so I'll practice better neck twists :cry:

:thumbup:

Good man!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Check this video, the pilot is dropping shoulders at every movement but once.

Seems he has as much problems with his gear then he has with the bandit on his six. Constantly grabbing his mask or his harnas (right shoulder). Seems he's not very tight strapped in.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

He doesn't have gear problems. He probably has his lap belt tight, his shoulder straps are loose so he has plenty of unrestricted movement of his upper body, and the O2 mask is doing what they do when under high G and especially when you get hot and sweaty. Unlike in a desktop sim, he's really working physically. 6-7 Gs is work enough without being twisted around trying to keep a bandit padlocked. The physical work, the sun blasting through the greenhouse that is called a canopy, while decked out in a hot Nomex flightsuit, speed jeans, heavy helmet/O2 mask, and survival vest all comes together to make BFM hot sweaty work. Fighting a secure 4 or 5 point harness just adds to the effort required. Even a properly adjusted and really tight fit on these low profile, lightweight masks will slide on a sweaty face. Like most things there's advantage to being as free as is possible to move around the cockpit under heavy G. You can maintain sight and maybe not hurt yourself in the process. You will do neither strapped in so tight that you can barely move anything but your head.

We routinely pulled 3-4 Gs in the Tweet. Five wasn't as common and 6 not unheard of. We didn't wear, or need, speed jeans so those times at 5-6 G required plenty of work. I had a few muscle and nerve tweaks over six years but only got hurt once. I had a weakish solo student on his first formation solo. During trail he had a tendency to get high in the cone at lead's dead six and drift to the back of the cone. That is the perfect setup to suddenly find yourself beak to beak with lead going in opposite directions and/or losing sight. Sure enough that's where he was and I was almost exactly like the guy in the first screen of the video, looking at high 6 over my left shoulder as the solo, realizing he was going to lose sight, made a bid towards our right side. My student, who was flying, caught me in the middle of twisting my neck and body as I switched position towards my right shoulder. He had thought 6 G coming out the bottom of the loop was a great idea (I think he was concerned with not going out the bottom of the area) and pinned the top of my helmet to the headrest. We quit right then and went home holding my head up with my chin in my hands. I was sim only for two weeks and still have occasional nerve pinches if I move my head wrong. All of the old F-16 and A-10 guys I know have neck and/or back problems. RL sure ain't like trackIR. VR is a bit closer but FOV makes it harder in a different way.

Edited by tweet
clarification

Hi,

I would like to run Rift S with Performance Head-Up Display enabled in Application Render Timing mode.

I tried to enable it with Oculus Debug Tool and Oculus Tray Tool.

The HUD is visible in Oculus Home but disappear when DCS starts.

Does anyone know hot to do it ?

Thanks

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Hi,

I would like to run Rift S with Performance Head-Up Display enabled in Application Render Timing mode.

I tried to enable it with Oculus Debug Tool and Oculus Tray Tool.

The HUD is visible in Oculus Home but disappear when DCS starts.

Does anyone know hot to do it ?

Thanks

Unfortunately no fix for this afaik. There was some graphical DCS update months ago which broke it.

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Unfortunately no fix for this afaik. There was some graphical DCS update months ago which broke it.

:cry:

Ok, tank you. At least I am not mad, I tried it long ago and it was working.

So does anyone have a solution to display CPU and GPU frame time with Rift S ?

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

RCTL+pause

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried. I also tried MSI Afterburner. Maybe I missed something, but it doesn't provide detail of GPU Frame Time and CPU Frame Time.

At best I have the global Frame Time corresponding to my frame rate.

Oculus Performance HUD used to provide that data. But now it is being turned off by DCS World !!!

Mirage fanatic !

How come this post is unsticky and the old thread about Rift CV1 is not?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

How come this post is unsticky and the old thread about Rift CV1 is not?

With the Rift line going the way of the tookie bird, they probably figure one thread for all would suffice now.

They might ought to consider setting up a pinned Quest thread as that is where Oculus is laying their future, for both mobile and PC-VR utilizing Quest Link.

On the other hand we don't have Reverb or Pimax pinned threads either. Reverb is getting quite popular with the flight sim community.

Don B

With the Rift line going the way of the tookie bird, they probably figure one thread for all would suffice now.

They might ought to consider setting up a pinned Quest thread as that is where Oculus is laying their future, for both mobile and PC-VR utilizing Quest Link.

On the other hand we don't have Reverb or Pimax pinned threads either. Reverb is getting quite popular with the flight sim community.

Definitely agree on Reverb line of products.

If only one thread for Oculus, it should be Rift S and Quest, not CV1 hehe.

New question. I am running DCS world 2.5 on a iMac Pro 10.15.7 Bootcamp partition. (2017 iMac Pro w/ Radeon Pro Vega 56 w/8 GB and 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 Memory). This configuration runs really well. I'm thinking of going the VR route but I need a recommendation on headsets. I'm looking at the Oculus Quest with link or the Oculus Rift. I'm not sure what the Oculus link does, but it seems the resolution of the Quest is better than the Rift. Any ideas?

New question. I am running DCS world 2.5 on a iMac Pro 10.15.7 Bootcamp partition. (2017 iMac Pro w/ Radeon Pro Vega 56 w/8 GB and 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 Memory). This configuration runs really well. I'm thinking of going the VR route but I need a recommendation on headsets. I'm looking at the Oculus Quest with link or the Oculus Rift. I'm not sure what the Oculus link does, but it seems the resolution of the Quest is better than the Rift. Any ideas?

Fair warning, when I got my Rift S I leant my old CV1 to a buddy with a similar setup to you (Mac on boot camp), he tried and tried but wasn’t able to get it working on a Mac... hopefully you’d have better luck but make sure you’ve got a solid return policy on whatever you purchase!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• 3 years later...

I am setting up my f-16 being a rookie and will test out the htc focus3, the varjo aero and soon the htc elite for work ..and will try my own quest2.
I believe all will have their advantages but I think the quest 2 will be the most convenient. 'Link' revers to the wireless option for your quest to connect to your PC.
No more thick cable to drag along with your head.
Do mind that, in order to make it work smooth, you need to hard connect your pc to internet when using wifi for your VR goggles otherwise the 2 wifi signals will inconveniently interfere sometimes.

Enjoy, Can't wait till I have my first dcs vr xperience. 'Starwars Squadrons' was awesome with the quest2 !

Edited by FlyingV
typos