FM after latest patch

Hummingbird

I will fly literally anything. Just give me your number and address of the hangar :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1000 Colonial Farm Rd, McLean, VA 22101

(703) 482-062

Give me a call anytime.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who made the recommendation, what gear are they using, what type of extension are they employing (if any), and how far is their lateral and fore/aft stick movement? The FM being neutral ratio to the control setup within the airplane has nothing to do with what *you're* using. Thus, if you're comfortable without curves, don't use them. If you need them, use them. This should be obvious.

(note: sniped while commenting)

Personally, I'm running a Hall-effect Frankenstein'ed ancient Suncom setup with mostly Otto/Mason switches and no spring; extension isn't an option based on the garbage plastic, so I have to run with a 3% deadzone on both axes and no curve- because there isn't enough travel to make one matter. Works for me, and I've been comfortable with the FM for months.

It's a strange thing to offer a judgement on an FM when you haven't begun to acclimate yourself with the aircraft in the first place.

I’ve been trying F-14 since early public access release. Latest patch kill everything I got used to before (I haven’t flown roughly 2 weeks)

I’ve been trying F-14 since early public access release. Latest patch kill everything I got used to before (I haven’t flown roughly 2 weeks)

You should fly more.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

In all seriousness, adjust your curves and it should start to come together better. Also find a group to fly with online. Most have training programs to help people get up to speed. Practice.

https://www.vcvw-11.com/

Specs:

+1 on the curves.

I have found the Tomcat to be very sensitive and require curves in pitch, roll, rudders, and even throttle to make inputs feel more stable, controllable, and "real"...at least to me. In comparison, the Hornet does not require curves for me.

My experimentation with curves continues and I hope to find a balance between stability and realism.

Negative curves have been best for me. It increases sensitivity around center but dampens it with larger inputs. This has helped me remain in control with more aggressive maneuvers. However, it makes the smaller inputs needed for landing and refueling a little too sensitive.

I wish there was a set value of curves that is considered realistic and works for everyone, but that does not seem to be the case.

Just experiment with different curves until you find something that works for you.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

+1 on the curves.

I have found the Tomcat to be very sensitive and require curves in pitch, roll, rudders, and even throttle to make inputs feel more stable, controllable, and "real"...at least to me. In comparison, the Hornet does not require curves for me.

My experimentation with curves continues and I hope to find a balance between stability and realism.

Negative curves have been best for me. It increases sensitivity around center but dampens it with larger inputs. This has helped me remain in control with more aggressive maneuvers. However, it makes the smaller inputs needed for landing and refueling a little too sensitive.

I wish there was a set value of curves that is considered realistic and works for everyone, but that does not seem to be the case.

Just experiment with different curves until you find something that works for you.

I reset my curves on pitch and roll back to zero, after I got used to the Tomcat's handling when I did have the curves, now I can fly it just fine without the curves oddly enough, it now feels very natural and smooth with a curvature of zero.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I reset my curves on pitch and roll back to zero, after I got used to the Tomcat's handling when I did have the curves, now I can fly it just fine without the curves oddly enough, it now feels very natural and smooth with a curvature of zero.

Ideally, I would like to have 0 curves as well in the Tomcat. Right now though, with 0 or positive curves, the smallest stick inputs will send the AoA to 20+, over g or snap a wing when performing aggressive manuevers.

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I think HB F-14 FM is magnificient as a whole, it's just this last patch I feel skewed the performance abit too negatively :)

I do have a question for the devs however, which is: How did you calculate the drag for the completely clean tomcat?

Asking as currently at 55,600 lbs and completely clean I can maintain about 6.5 G's at M 0.6 at SL, where'as I should probably be able to maintain ~6.9-7.0 G's due to the lack of drag from 8x missiles.

In short what I'd expect at SL based on the EM charts:

55,600 lbs w/ 4x AIM-7 h 4x AIM-9 = 6.7 G @ M 0.6

55,600 lbs *clean*........................... = 6.9-7.0 G @ M 0.6

Ok so 20 for all axis as for TM warthog. What about CH rudders same thing?

best thing I ever did was switch from a side stick to a extended center stick...

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Oh dear no need to be that offensive. Gotta be open minded ;) I see F-14 is becoming a little cult of followers who are very defensive when someone disagree

No nothing to do with being in a cult and more to do with calling out a fellow keyboard warrior who has never flown the aircraft in his life for saying he “feels” the fm is off, and on top of that is to ill informed to realise that there are real Tomcat drivers here.

One of whom was heavily involved in the fm tuning. When he comes out and says the fm is off I’ll listen to him, I won’t get worried because some gamer can’t fly it the way he thinks it should fly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

;3880118']No nothing to do with being in a cult and more to do with calling out a fellow keyboard warrior who has never flown the aircraft in his life for saying he “feels” the fm is off, and on top of that is to ill informed to realise that there are real Tomcat drivers here.

One of whom was heavily involved in the fm tuning. When he comes out and says the fm is off I’ll listen to him, I won’t get worried because some gamer can’t fly it the way he thinks it should fly.

Sorry but it is your assumption from beginning to the end.

Ok I tried several quick combat mission involve guns only. I managed to defeat several AI opponent 1x1 except F-16 (he decided to punch out for no reason )

I haven’t adjusted curves yet, but rather decided to see if I can stick with tiny stick movements. I experimented with different speeds and 60 degrees 2g sustain turns and slow flights.

I have noticed that countering adverse yaw with “bottom” rudder for some reason send turn coordinator ball to opposite direction ? Is that normal behavior ? We are talking about small tiny rudder deflection. My perception is that “stepping on the ball “

producing immediate skidding turn. Is that how it suppose to be?

Also I tried some slow flight /high angle of attack flying. Despite my best effort to keep ball center F-14 always lose control and falls on the right wing . Same thing happen even if I press opposite rudder. Perhaps right wing falling tendency has to do with engine turbine rotation? Does anyone one knows which direction they spin?

Ok I tried several quick combat mission involve guns only. I managed to defeat several AI opponent 1x1 except F-16 (he decided to punch out for no reason )

I haven’t adjusted curves yet, but rather decided to see if I can stick with tiny stick movements. I experimented with different speeds and 60 degrees 2g sustain turns and slow flights.

I have noticed that countering adverse yaw with “bottom” rudder for some reason send turn coordinator ball to opposite direction ? Is that normal behavior ? We are talking about small tiny rudder deflection. My perception is that “stepping on the ball “

producing immediate skidding turn. Is that how it suppose to be?

That got me puzzled as well at first. The ball actually indicates which pedal you should step on and which way you are side-sleaping.

Master the rudders and you can make her dance at extremely high angles of attack. Last night i pegged the AoA at 30 units, i was 100-120 KIAS in the vertical and she still didn't depart :thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Make sure you turn roll SAS off at high AoA as well. And don't use roll inputs above 17 units AoA, use rudder.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Disabling stability augmentation? Why? Was this standard practice or this is just hearsay?

Where is Victory205 when you need him? :)

it was a real thing and it is mentioned in the NATOPS.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I have a bit of a hard time to trust the ball if it's not even staying centered when standing still on the ground...

But didn't have any notable problems yet even turning the 'cat though I lack lots of training as of yet.

1630204289_DCS2019-03-3100-04-48-21.thumb.png.f9f969f3739ade5febc5f91e86916dbd.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

So, I am not the only one to find the F-14 less manoeuvrable with the last update ? It feels way more unstable in dogfight... Usually I'm able to maintain MiG-29/Flankers in respect and just eat F-5, but now, things are not the same...

I'm not saying that this behaviour is wrong, but according to fat creason, ''(...)nothing else is anticipated that will affect raw performance numbers.''

There I see a big change in the behaviour of the F-14..

Can the devs clarify this please ? Really waiting for fat creason's update.

Thanks.Have a good day and good luck with the dev of the Tomcat.