For you F-14 lovers out there!

Really you should be able to buy one for the price of the scrap metal, minus the work for scapping it.. but then again it's only an empty shell, not that fun to have I guess. And quite a challenge to get home :D

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

http://www.ov-10bronco.net/

mid of page, F-14D Tomcat - "Christine" / "Tomcatter 111" / "Felix 111" No.159600: 6008 Flight hours, 31 years of service, 1614 carrier takeoff/land, last Tomcat flight in history.

The longest serving Tomcat in the fleet, she was VERY close to become scrap metal, but finally made it to Texas, aviation museum. She has a long story to tell, but I haven't found anything yet on the web.

:notworthy: Thanks to all who took part in saving of Christine!

[sIGPIC]http://www.forum.lockon.ru/signaturepics/sigpic5279_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I could shot down a Kitchen :smartass:

I believe there was something wrong between the Tomcat and the US Government....

First in the mid-late 90s it was decided to halt the production of the F-14D, one of the best fighter-bombers out there, while F-15E Strike Eagle was well funded for USAF. Many aviation experts evaluated brand-new F-14Ds better than the Strike Eagle as dual-role platform. The Tomcats also had all of their updates deleted, such as AMRAAM, which was fitted to every other AC in the US inventory and also to Humvees. Also the digital flight system update, which would have cut maintenance time, was cut itself.

Then, the Tomcat was retired from service earlier than figures, which called for a 2010 term, in favour of an aicraft which is far from convincing and is clearly unable to do some things that the Tomcat could do (such as standoff BARCAPs, now that the Russian bombers have restored their long-range flights. The SuperHornets will be good fighters but they CAN'T fly the BARCAPs 1,000 miles away from the CVBG like Tomcats did (link here and here).

The reason for retirement is that it's hard and tricky to fly and maintain. Ok, but I've seen Block-10 F-16s flying after being fitted with pieces of metal just to keep the wings in their place, after they discovered cracks on all F-16A airframes some years ago...

Now, the Tomcats are being demolished instead of being stored at AMARC as all other planes do. The official reason is that the Iranian government could purchase pieces of Tomcats, but this is clearly a hoax, because

a) access to AMARC is restricted, a bit tighter security would surely leave little chances of stealing Tomcat parts (it ain't that easy to run away with a Tomcat wing without being seen)

b) if parts are bought by 3rd party and then sold to Iran, simply, don't sell Tomcat parts to 3rd party which are not well controlled museums or institutes

c) Iran has flown Tomcats for about 20 years with spare parts made in country with reverse engineering. Why should they steal US pieces *now*?

AFAIK Iran ceased to receive US parts in late eighties, after the Iran-Contra scandal... until then the illegal spare parts supply for Iran had caused a shortage for USN... at least that's what I read...

d) Iran flies also F-5, F-4, AH-1, UH-1 (and many other aircraft). Why destroy only the Tomcats and not the other aircraft parked at AMARC (which is *FULL* of Phantoms)?

IMHO there's someone in the US government which hates the tomcat, I don't know, maybe some Phoenix blew up his limo or a Tomcat crashed on his cottage.... dunno, but Tomcat's history looks very strange and sad to me :(

I personally think those general air-to-anything aircraft are not really good. The problem is not only technical but also from the pilot base. Every airforce/navy in the world should still have their ADF and mudmover. I fear the day when the German IDS will be replaced by the Eurofighter.

Let me know if you want more information on her.:smilewink: And no, she wasnt the last one to fly.....AJ101 was, on her way to American AirPower Museum. But "Christine" is a beauty.

This is all I have of her.

Thanks, Tomcatter :) I've read about her in an aviation magazine, 3pages the full story. I'm sad about that such a beauty is retired.:(

[sIGPIC]http://www.forum.lockon.ru/signaturepics/sigpic5279_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I could shot down a Kitchen :smartass:

IT IS AWFUL

Ohh my GOD :cry:

My heart is breakin' my soul is cryin'

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

Umbelievable. JUst thinking how much energy and time and money it took to build all those parts that make up each and every of those planes, seeing them getting choped in minutes like that is a terrible shocker. Specialy for those who work on planes like me. Yikes

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Umbelievable. JUst thinking how much energy and time and money it took to build all those parts that make up each and every of those planes, seeing them getting choped in minutes like that is a terrible shocker. Specialy for those who work on planes like me. Yikes

and not only that, spending even more money to crush them, would be cheaper for them just to be in the desert. I hope I will never see this kind off pictures on Su-27, Ill cry then :)

Teknetinium 2017.jpg
                        51st PVO Discord SATAC YouTube

Sadly in generic armies there´s a lot of politics involved.

We´ll probably never know why USA always "hated" the f14. As said above it wasn´t even the dificult handling that prooved to be bullshit statements by many pilots and airfights, but the allegation that the maintainance of the plane is slow, uneasy and costly.

But why triturate f14 instead of phantom or f5, e4 etc is beyond any comprehention, why waste money to reduce them to dust that can´t even be used to anything is strange too.

I don´t know about you guys but i still find the f14 a sexy aircraft... can´t remember how many hour i played 14 fleet defender from ATARI.:joystick: