Effect of 6knot crosswind on takeoff?

A2597

So using a generated mission, I have a 6knot crosswind. As I gain speed, wheels still on ground I find myself having to steer my plane to counteract this crosswind quite a bit, enough that I would be in the dirt pretty quickly if I didn't, and actually had difficulty getting my "clean" takeoff straight down the runway.

For landing, same issue. My velocity vector had me WAY off to the side on approach, a few hundred yards at a mile out if I were to estimate it, to touchdown on the runway.

Is this right? I can see the landing (different wind speeds at different altitudes) but the takeoff really threw me, didn't think a light breeze would buffet a plane that much with wheels on ground!

As an airplane gets bigger, so do it’s flight surfaces. The size of the vertical stabilizer(s) is what’s pertinent here. I fly big airplanes for a living. You’d be surprised at the effects of even a moderately strong crosswind as you are rolling down the runway or even taxiing a 75 or 767. There is a good amount of rudder input required to counter the weathervaning tendency. That said, my gut tells me the crosswind effects in DCS may be just a TAD overdone.

Me too. I have transport category experience. To me, DCS wind parameters seem off. Almost like the effects of wind with munitions and aircraft are the same, which it shouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer