Installed terrains not showing in Module Manager

Slug72

I'm on the current Stable branch, and have both the Nevada and Persian Gulf terrains installed. Both are present on my SSD under "\DCS World\Mods\terrains". However both no longer show as "installed" in Module Manager, although the Nevada icon is still present in the main menu strip and is selectable in the ME. The PG map, otoh, simply doesn't exist to me.

I've tried multiple repairs and cleanups, logged-out and back in, but with no luck... the E-Shop still insists I own PG but it's not available to me. Before I nuke DCS from orbit and reinstall from scratch, does anyone have any solutions?

i9-9900K @5GHz, Z390 Aorus Pro, 32GB DDR4-3200MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 850W PSU, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, MT deskmounts, Asus 32" 1440p display, EDTracker Pro Wireless, HP Reverb

Please post your autoupdate.cfg file.

Thanks for the reply, c0ff. File reads as follows:

{
"WARNING": "DO NOT EDIT this file. You may break your install!",
"version": "2.5.4.29167",
"timestamp": "20190329-151514",
"arch": "x86_64",
"lang": "EN",
"modules": [
 "WORLD",
 "FA-18C",
 "PERSIANGULF_terrain",
 "NEVADA_terrain"
],
"launch": "bin/DCS.exe"
}

autoupdate.cfg

i9-9900K @5GHz, Z390 Aorus Pro, 32GB DDR4-3200MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 850W PSU, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, MT deskmounts, Asus 32" 1440p display, EDTracker Pro Wireless, HP Reverb

I started DCS a few minutes ago, and at the main menu went into Module Manager. Lo and behold, both Nevada and Persian Gulf have reappeared in "Terrains" with PG showing 'Disabled' (which explains why it wasn't selectable in-game). It therefore appears that this was either an account sync issue or a locally-caused glitch rather than a DCS problem.

I've attached my dcs.log anyway, just in case it sheds light on the mystery. Thanks for your attention, and apologies for the (apparent) false alarm.

dcs-log.txt

• 2 years later...
On 4/15/2019 at 11:42 AM, c0ff said:

Please post your autoupdate.cfg file.

I downloaded the latest update for 2.7, and even though I have Syria showing in my module manager and installed (was working in multiplayer in the previous patch), Syria is now "required" in red in multiplayer servers for me. No idea why. I took a look at the autoupdate.cfg and it isn't there.

{
 "WARNING": "DO NOT EDIT this file. You may break your install!",
 "branch": "openbeta",
 "version": "2.7.0.5118",
 "timestamp": "20210422-092927",
 "arch": "x86_64",
 "lang": "EN",
 "modules": [
  "WORLD",
  "FA-18C",
  "KA-50",
  "RAZBAM_AV8BNA",
  "RAZBAM_M-2000C",
  "FC3",
  "HEATBLUR_F-14",
  "CA",
  "SU-33",
  "SUPERCARRIER",
  "A-10C_2",
  "PERSIANGULF_terrain",
  "NEVADA_terrain",
  "NORMANDY_terrain",
  "RAZBAM_MIG19P",
  "MIG-21BIS"
 ],
 "launch": "bin/DCS.exe"
}

can I just edit SYRIA_terrain into the list?

3 hours ago, LegionCW said:

can I just edit SYRIA_terrain into the list?

Second line of the file: "WARNING": "DO NOT EDIT this file. You may break your install!" 😉

I woudn't if I were you.

Is your Syria module turned on or off?

image.png

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

28 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Second line of the file: "WARNING": "DO NOT EDIT this file. You may break your install!" 😉

I woudn't if I were you.

Is your Syria module turned on or off?

image.png

Says active and installed. And yes, I see 55Gb roughly in the syria folder in the terrain folder.

Screen_210423_234953.png

1 hour ago, LegionCW said:

Will the repair simply repair vanilla files, or will it also delete any non-vanilla files (such as mods or user skins?).

the repair works on the DCS program folder, and yes, it can delete extraneous files that you may have placed there. However, the repair does not touch the /Saved Games/dcs/ folder, and Mods or Skins placed there will not be affected.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

12 hours ago, Flappie said:

Then you should try a DCS repair. Choose "slow" repair.

Ran the slow repair with the latest update and repair tool, still no Syria showing in MP or SP. Attached screenshots of errors but showing Syria installed and purchased. Odd because I managed to play Syria successfully in MP on several servers before 2.7.

Screen_210424_121357.png

Screen_210424_121341.png

Screenshot (142).png

Screenshot (143).png

Please, attach Your dcs.log to look For clues.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I assume it has something to do with this? Scripting: plugin: SKIPPED 'Syria': not authorized

You have the Debug option enabled, which clutters the log a lot, but I can't see any glaring errors that could be causing this.  Have you tried to run DCS with no user Mods active?

2 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

You have the Debug option enabled, which clutters the log a lot, but I can't see any glaring errors that could be causing this.  Have you tried to run DCS with no user Mods active?

Only 2 mods - the A-4 and the high digit SAMs, neither of which should be causing issues as the servers that run them are populated. I have a sneaking suspicion it may have something to do with the way I installed Syria. Tl;dr: SSD very full. Had to Symbolic link the downloads and Syria folder on another drive.

Now, Symlinking other terrains such as Normandy and Nevada has never been an issue (as you can see from it showing missions in the singleplayer for them), because I could download em on the same drive because of their small size, then move/symlink the terrains and it's all good. Syria on the other hand was too big to download, ergo I symlinked the download folder to the separate drive with the other 2 terrains, which downloaded it fine, but then a popup comes up that there's not enough space on the original hard drive.

At this point I have Syria in full on the symlinked downloads, but not in the symlinked Syria folder I made. So I just copy the contents of Syria from _downloads to the Syria terrain folder and hey presto, that worked.

Do you think I just "uninstall" Syria using the module manager, and with a copy of the Syria files already in the downloads folder, re-download it and hope it detects files already there and fixes it?

... I have a sneaking suspicion it may have something to do with the way I installed Syria. Tl;dr: SSD very full. Had to Symbolic link the downloads and Syria folder on another drive.

Hello. Yes, that's probably the root of the issue. The Windows links have two varieties:

Symbolic links are created with the command: mklink /D Link Target

Hard Links are created with the command: mklink /J Link Target

With DCS I only use Hard Links, as when I started using links the Symbolic type didnt work very well with DCS. More info here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

5 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Hello. Yes, that's probably the root of the issue. The Windows links have two varieties:

Symbolic links are created with the command: mklink /D Link Target

Hard Links are created with the command: mklink /J Link Target

With DCS I only use Hard Links, as when I started using links the Symbolic type didnt work very well with DCS. More info here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Didn't know the difference. Regardless, I can tell you right now I must've been doing hard links as I always used /J. So...issue still stands. I just finished reinstalling it, got the popup message (again) saying the (original small capacity where DCS is) hard drive is full. Didn't click anything, copied the symlinked Syria files from _download to the Syria mklink terrain folder and boom, working.

Would be nice to know why It didn't detect the already downloaded files sitting in _download from the previous time, or why it keeps thinking there isn't space, when there is (wondering if it's being dumb and simply reading how much space is on the original drive, and not how much space is on the roomy (albeit only SSHD) hard drive). Additionally, can't say I know the repercussions of having terrains and modules installed on a different drive in terms of performance.

Would be nice to get a response from someone more code savvy why this happens.

• Like 1

Anyway, still glad that you've got the issue solved.

Cheers,

Eduardo

• ED Team
On 4/24/2021 at 8:59 PM, LegionCW said:

Would be nice to get a response from someone more code savvy why this happens.

The updater does detect files in _downloads, and even in the install dir, but the Syria map filers were changed in the latest update, so previous ones do no help.

As for detecting free space - Windows API methods do not take symlinks/junctions into account. Free space is being checked only for the root install folder.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 9:58 AM, c0ff said:

The updater does detect files in _downloads, and even in the install dir, but the Syria map filers were changed in the latest update, so previous ones do no help.

As for detecting free space - Windows API methods do not take symlinks/junctions into account. Free space is being checked only for the root install folder.

Will files from 2.7 onwards help now? Or is it going to continue needing a fresh download every minor patch?