VR / Terrain Engine update

Shotsx74

Yeah, just realized it's a public holiday in Russia tomorrow.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Interesting you should say this. I have a reasonable rig now and run everything on dcs in vr on the PG map and get solid 45fps with exception of the F14 and the Viggen. There is a area between around 60degrees and 140degrees where if I’m headed in that direction I experience a frame drop of 15fps. I check my task manager and nothing is maxed out not my cpu not my disk not my gpu so I can’t understand the bottleneck. I disable multiple different features pixel density, msaa, water, shadows, view distance, tree visibility, none of it can prevent this. The only option I have to prevent this drop in frames when headed in these directions is to disable mirrors which is such a shame as I find it such an immersive feature on the F14 particularly as you can’t fold the mirrors up.

The CPU is always the limiting factor. It not being maxed out is a by product of the engine not being capable of using all threads. The GPU not being maxed out is from the CPU not being able to send it enough data, since the engine can't properly leverage its potential. Higher CPU clocks and IPC would boost GPU utilization. The points at which VR locks the fps to keep the experience smooth further reduces overall utilization, because the one main thread/core isn't keeping pace with the demand.

I will say that Wags' comment sounded much more like a soon than a SOON™ but it takes however long it takes!

That said, one of the things I really hate on the internet is that game developers have generally taken to leaving us in the dark because they don't want to deal with the players complaining or raging about "you said about a month and it's been two!" etc. Delays happen. Hell I don't know if I've ever finished ANYTHING in the amount of time I thought it would take! Even worse than that is the frequent clamoring on forums of "We know it's not done and mostly broken but please let us test it!" followed by the same people posting stuff like "OMG this is total trash, this game sucks kthxbye".

Before anyone rages at me, I'm not talking about DCS forums, I'm talking generically. Overall I think the ED/DCS forum is possibly the best forum community of a post-launch game.

Wags, thank you for going out on a limb and telling us it's coming soon. I find it much easier to wait when I'm seeing some kind of indication of progress.

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

You know guys, DEVs have also a life, they are not bots working 24/7 ...

They have holydays, etc. Even if something is only 40h away of being finished, it may take a month sometimes.

Sometimes they can work 160h on a week, because they are pasionate about their jobs, but that's not healthy and they shouldn't do that over long periods

I'm sure they have been working on regression testing and will time the update close to the Rift S release. Until then, they are probably just making sure the update didn't break more than it fixed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm excited for the future of VR in DCS. With the Rift S providing a more sharp and clear image and DCS getting a significant performance increase it will be like a whole new experience again.

ED has to know this is a money tree for them so I suspect we'll see the update sooner rather than later.

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm excited for the future of VR in DCS. With the Rift S providing a more sharp and clear image and DCS getting a significant performance increase it will be like a whole new experience again.

ED has to know this is a money tree for them so I suspect we'll see the update sooner rather than later.

I sure am hoping so !!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 1 month later...

Bump ...

Anybody hear any news on this elsewhere?

Happy Flying ! :pilotfly:

--

My specs: i7 8700K oc 5.0gHz, Asus Maximus Hero X, 32 Go DDR4 3600MHz, GTX1080 oc 2025MHz, Samsung Evo 960 SSD, Oculus rift CV1, 2 sensors. VKB Gunfighter w/ Warthog stick. Warthog throttle. Custom 6xrotary box. MFG rudder pedals

• 2 weeks later...

The actual improvement is probably more like an absolute value instead of a fixed percentage. So the results are mixed when presented as a percentage depending on the individual's baseline performance.

Edited by E-Rock

Anyone think that we saw a minor improvement with yesterday's OB patch?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

It's obvious something is seriously wrong with the engine, it just can't handle the simulation and graphics pipeline simultaneously.

You can be in the sim with no other active simulation occurring (no units), and performance is still deficient.

We might not be able to see improvement until the engine is rebuilt from the ground up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's obvious something is seriously wrong with the engine, it just can't handle the simulation and graphics pipeline simultaneously.

Do you know some other software that can run this kind of simulation with Better performance ?

When I started with Flight sims this year, i was thinking, I hope they optimize DCS to make it run as fluid as IL-2 ...

Now I think that's not posible on DCS because of radars, misiles, speeds, etc. It needs much more power for it's simulation.

Well, I guess that never eventuated...back to the drawing board.

No money trees in the foreseeable future I am afraid.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We might not be able to see improvement until the engine is rebuilt from the ground up.

Which they already took a significant stab at with EDGE

PC spec: i9 9900KS @ 5.1ghz, 32GB RAM, 2 TB NVME M2, RTX 3090

Peripherals: TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, Rift S, Custom UFC

I think there’s hope. They rebuilt the maps and saw a 50% performance increase.

But this increase mysteriously disappeared when they recompiled v2.55.

I hope they still try to find what went wrong.

Bug fixing can be a very slow and tedious process at times, and what seems like a simple problem can require really extensive testing and verification to ensure there are no unintended consequences. So in short, we have to be patient and also be grateful that we have such a dedicated and enthusiastic dev team working to continually improve this platform we all love so much. I can't think of many games that have received such consistent long term support from its devs.

A small pie is soon eaten