Free Map

Ercoupe

What is strange and annoying at the same time is that they released the F-16 in a very beta status with a lot of features missing, incomplete 3d model and textures, Damage model, etc.. but seems they don't want to say anything about the map until is ready, or at least this is my perception of the issue. Maps have always been the weakest part of DCS regarding the variety, now that we can get a new one that can open a lots of oportunities they hide it's location.

How cool will be to open this Weekend News mail update and see a couple of pictures of the new map and the area they are doing?

Is that asking too much?

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

I don't want to get a ETA or a release date set in stone, I simply want to know WHERE in the world will be the map placed!!

This ^^^ I don't understand why they can't just disclose that...I mean they have already started working on it, and are evidently almost ready to post pictures, so it's not like they would change their minds about the theater.

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Free map probably somewhere in Europe

DCS-P-47D-WIP-01.jpg

image0.jpg?width=395&height=609

Asus Prime Z-370-A

Intel core I7-8700K 3.70Ghz

Ram g.skill f4-3200c16d 32gb

Evga rtx 2070

Ssd samgung 960 evo m.2 500gb

Syria, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944

Combined Arms

A-10C, Mirage-2000C, F-16C, FC3

Spitfire LF Mk. IX

UH-1H, Gazelle

While that looks to be a new map, it doesn't seem like it would fit the key elements listed by Wags...

It's always a team decision with our company owner and our CEO having final say. While still too early to announce, key elements of the map must include:

1- Can be converted to both modern day and WWII use.

2- Low overhead, high performance.

3- Geographically laid out to best suit multiplayer matches.

4- Suited for both land-based and carrier ops.

5- Expand into a new part of the world.

Thanks

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

While that looks to be a new map, it doesn't seem like it would fit the key elements listed by Wags...

Why not ??

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

It's always a team decision with our company owner and our CEO having final say. While still too early to announce, key elements of the map must include:

1- Can be converted to both modern day and WWII use.

2- Low overhead, high performance.

3- Geographically laid out to best suit multiplayer matches.

4- Suited for both land-based and carrier ops.

5- Expand into a new part of the world.

Thanks

Why not ??

1. It's possible a map located in Europe could be used for both modern day and WWII, but that would take a tremendous amount of work and time

2. A map consisting of populated areas as depicted in the screenshot would not be low overhead and high performance.

3. A map in Europe could be well suited for multiplayer matches, depending on the location. For WWII, you would need parts of Germany. Modern day would need parts of Russia. This is not easy to fit all in one DCS size map.

4. It would be difficult to have a DCS size map in Europe that could satisfy this requirement, at least with realistic scenarios for both WWII and modern day.

5. This would not be a new part of the world.

Edited by =BJM=

5. This would not be a new part of the world.
That part is tricky. Does it mean "a new part" like a new continent? Then we already have North America, Europe, and Asia and even though not released Falklands map will be South America (in case you separate north and South as different continents). Then a new part of the World only lefts Africa or Australia to be placed (or Antarctica which I doubt :D ). Or maybe a new part is just a new country we haven't seen in which case it can still be Europe, just something we haven't seen yet like Germany itself if it's meant to be usable in WWII, or just anywhere in the World out of the known places :huh: . Who knows.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

That part is tricky. Does it mean "a new part" like a new continent? Then we already have North America, Europe, and Asia and even though not released Falklands map will be South America (in case you separate north and South as different continents). Then a new part of the World only lefts Africa or Australia to be placed (or Antarctica which I doubt :D ). Or maybe a new part is just a new country we haven't seen in which case it can still be Europe, just something we haven't seen yet like Germany itself if it's meant to be usable in WWII, or just anywhere in the World out of the known places :huh: . Who knows.

S!

All very true.

The current lineup of WWII aircraft tells us that the map will be somewhere in Europe. A location that does not include England, France, and the Black Sea narrow the possibilities considerably. For me, the only possibilities that could fill all the requirements would be the areas of the Mediterranean, Norwegian, Baltic or Barents Seas. However, a lot of those areas include big, highly populated cities which would require a lot of work to model for both WWII and modern day and of course would not be performance friendly.

Hopefully the mystery is solved soon!

My money is still on Egypt/Libya and that the photo is of some other map in the pipeline. Fits the bill in every way, while the one in the photo fits pretty almost nothing.

I think you could be right.

Egypt/Libya might just meet all the requirements...but I don't know how we would all feel about another desert map.

Another desert map means for me : NO WAY

:no_sad:

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

I think you could be right.

Egypt/Libya might just meet all the requirements...but I don't know how we would all feel about another desert map.

I thought we knew it was the Falkland Islands? No? Was that something different? I saw Stanley airport, which is clearly on the Falklands.

Oculus Rift S / Aorus GTX 1080TI / Intel i7 7700k @4.2 GHz

/ 32GB DDR4 RAM @2400 MHz / TB250-BTC Biostar Motherboard / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog PC / Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals / Windows 10 / Western Digital 500GB SSD

I thought we knew it was the Falkland Islands? No? Was that something different? I saw Stanley airport, which is clearly on the Falklands.

No. The Falkland Island map is being developed by Razbam as a spiritual home (of sorts) for their Harrier and Mirage. ED's mysterious, in-development free map is something different.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

And the " secret map " is the same one with the free map ( ED ) ?

Interesting topic, dont know why it just cant be announced then we all move on. BOStalingrad outlined their next few years worth of plans, you read it, then just let them get on with it and buy everything in the meantime.

Anyway, I think somewhere around egypt fits the bill, the maps so far are around the 400km x 400km or so range, Egypt and Libya would be a lot larger than that. Egypt and Israel and the Suez canal could be fitted in that sized area which would allow for the Yom Kipper war 1973. Which involved Mig21, F4, A4 and MirageIII.

It would also allow for WW2 Desert war especially around El Alamein.

Or the easy option, some island in the Pacific where the map is mostly water.

Edited by Mathius_001

i9-9900KS, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080Ti, 55" QLED, HP Reverb

Another desert map means for me : NO WAY

:no_sad:

Yeah Im not excited about a desert map either, except maybe some really good mi-8/24 campaigns coming out of Afghanistan. But I suspect that's precisely why - they've already got a ton of textures and assets to re-use for it, and less effort than forested or more populated maps.

Then again, at least its the first desert map for those without one, Normandy and Nevada stopped being worth their SSD space a long time ago for me. I just hope its not all flat.

Edited by Sephyrius

Interesting topic, dont know why it just cant be announced then we all move on. BOStalingrad outlined their next few years worth of plans, you read it, then just let them get on with it and buy everything in the meantime.

You're right, and that's why I complain, the lack of info!

Yeah Im not excited about a desert map either, except maybe some really good mi-8/24 campaigns coming out of Afghanistan.... I just hope its not all flat.

Depending on the area, it will likely be very mountainous,I think a lot of people will be surprised by the amount of green https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Afghanistan

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a crazy idea, next map could be Burma, the Jf-17 will be released in some days, and guess who is a Jf-17 user?

TfRZf2S.jpg

Also Burma saw heavy combat in WW2, and is ana amzing country to fly over, really beautiful as you can find in tons of pilots that flew over there...