F-104 Starfighter skins by jocko417

jocko417

Uhh, I think I made them so the blanking portion is at the front, the lights should be visible from about 70 degrees either side of the centerline as seen from behind. For the blanking portion I just drew a darker area as it appears in some (crappy) photos. This is one of the things on my list to take detail pics of in future.

On the skin portion below, forward is up.

Screenshot (39).png

25 minutes ago, NRG-Vampire said:

BTW: i guess the underwing fuel tanks are droppable. ..but what about the wingtip tanks ? Are those also jettisonable IRL ?  ...and what if the wingtips got rails with sidewinders ?
TY

Canada didn’t spend much time with the A2A aspect of the airplane, hilarious since that was exactly what the aircraft was designed for, but I digress. Perhaps somebody more in the know than I am can chime in, but I think if Sidewinders were carried on the tips, the pylon tanks were definitely used. The aircraft really suffered from range issues without external tanks, especially at low altitudes.

All tanks were not only jettisonable, but rated for Mach 1.5 (wing) and Mach 2.0 (Tip)!

Thank you jocko417, we have been waiting those quality skins for a long time. you had perceptibly upgraded the virtual quality of this legendary f-104, thank you putting your efforts on this.

a little request for bare metal turkish airforce f-104, except markings it is almost same with canadian one.🙏
you can find a detailed model example from tis web site:

http://www.ozkanturker.com/Galeri/f104/index.htm

Edited by archer86

4 hours ago, jocko417 said:

So who's ready to join the "Lukewaffe"? 🙂

Lockheed/Fokker F-104G 63-13690, 69th TFTS, Luke AFB, Arizona, U.S.A, circa early 1970s.

ModelViewer2 2020-12-27 22-37-08-20.png

ModelViewer2 2020-12-27 22-37-59-43.png

ModelViewer2 2020-12-27 22-44-21-92.png

This is the one I have been waiting for. So wish ED would take up one of the 'Century Series' fighters and 50s/60s era. For me the aircraft had more character and mystique, if I ever win the Euro Lottery, I will commission a software studio to bring the F-4B, F-5D Thud, Super Saber, Voodoo and F104 to DCS...Well I can dream 🙂   

• Like 1

USAF and '703 skins should be out soon, currently experimenting with a shared texture folder that might help cut down on the size of the skins, both for downloading and storage. Textures common to most paint schemes (pylons, fuel tanks, normal maps, etc) would be placed in a folder that the various skins can all use via the description file lua. The folder would be placed in the same livery directory as the skins so new skins wouldn't have to duplicate common textures.

In the meantime, this will probably be the next Canadian Starfighter livery... after the powers that be decided to combine the land, sea, and air branches of Canada's military into one "unified" force at the end of the 1960s, the RCAF ceased to be. Instead, collectively we had the "CAF" or Canadian Armed Forces.

The new nationality markings and flag were combined with buzz numbers that read from left to right on both sides of the aircraft, ie: "CAF" / roundel / last three digits of the aircraft serial number. The serials also changed from 5 digit to 6 digit numbers in the spring of 1970, with the first three digits indicating the aircraft type designator, in this case "12" changing to "104". Aircraft also wore "shadow" titles on both sides of the aircraft, left side in english, right side in french. With the french side being longer than the english side, this markings scheme is known to scale modelers as the "Asymmetrical Era" in CAF markings, 1968-1973.

CF-104 104750, No. 417 Squadron (Operational Training Unit), CFB Cold Lake, Alberta, circa early 1970s.

ModelViewer2 2020-12-28 23-16-29-46.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jocko417 said:

USAF and '703 skins should be out soon, currently experimenting with a shared texture folder that might help cut down on the size of the skins, both for downloading and storage. Textures common to most paint schemes (pylons, fuel tanks, normal maps, etc) would be placed in a folder that the various skins can all use via the description file lua. The folder would be placed in the same livery directory as the skins so new skins wouldn't have to duplicate common textures.

Awesome: yeah, bigger texture files are causing more and more headaches to people. Common folder usage is the easiest and best way for decreasing memory and storage size: as Megalax posted: those two dots and a solidus do the magic 😄 
Moreover: as I always said: using textures with mipmaps usually pointless: game/gfx engine starts to use too "early" the half sized mip-textures: fine lines will be invisible too close to the camera (when the camera is moving away from the 3D subject): best/worst example for the Starfighter model is with the italian skins: with those slim and white side/bort numbers. white numbers will be invisible too early/close because of the mipmaps (you can check in the ingame-encyclopedia)
+Moreover: ( I do lots of tests over the years: with the current big F-16 and F-14 textures as well) with the current powerful GFX cards the "non-friendly" JPG usage (textures without alpha maps) makes more sense then using 4-8 times bigger DDS files. (especially with small SSDs)

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

The final scheme for CF-104 aircraft based in Canada used the "Symmetrical" markings style, which continued into the early CF-18 Hornet days. Markings were changed to become simpler while retaining bilingualism. Shadow titles were replaced by "CANADA" and the nationality markings dropped the CAF and adopted a new title system of ARMED FORCES and FORCES ARMÉES, rather ingeniously arranged so that they could be read both horizontally and vertically. The individual aircraft number was moved to the side of the nose.

104750 also wears the unofficial badge of No. 417 squadron, the Starfighter training unit, which shut down in 1983 as Canada transitioned to the CF-18 for front line use.

ModelViewer2 2020-12-29 20-42-41-91.png

ModelViewer2 2020-12-29 20-44-30-59.png

• Like 1

Ok, an update, I've uploaded a Common Textures folder for download, awaiting approval from ED. Downloading this folder and placing it into your VSN_F104G liveries folder will greatly reduce the size of future skins and the storage space required for same. Common textures like normal maps, tank and pylon textures, basically anything "vanilla" will be stored separately so new skins won't have to include them.

Once ED approves the Common Textures file I'll start uploading new skins:

Luke AFB F-104G

RCAF 12703 Small Leaf

CAF 104750 Asymmetrical

CAF 104783 Symmetrical

Also working on a natural metal finish Belgian Air Force F-104G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1