F-104 Starfighter skins by jocko417

jocko417

Later version of above paint scheme, Olive Drab paint varied between two schemes from a brownish green to a bluish green, and neither one exists today in any colour standards. The Danes' version was nearer to the early brownish OD green. Pulling my hair out, but I think I have a close enough match for each. Period photos are useful but quality of film/time of day/ weather all play a part in screwing up the appearance of the green.

ModelViewer2 2021-01-01 00-11-33-24.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2020 at 4:23 PM, jocko417 said:

Who you calling skin job?

EA8FF681-08E3-4861-B8EF-C1C07C6E71BE.jpeg

J/K thanks, Mizzy.

That movie came out in 1982, Christ I’m getting old...

I was 17 when Blade Runner came out and the Director Ridley Scott came from about 5 miles from where I live and Scott studied at the local College of Art. He got the idea of 'Blade Runner' from the skyline of regional industry where I live. But I digress, love the USAF retro skin for the F-104. My dream is they make a module but at my age, I am not hoping too much anymore 🙂 

• Like 1

Oh btw, I found this 'skin job' for the J17 Thunder see attached. It happens to be the markings of a F-104 that featured in an episode of 'Star Trek' the original series called 'Tomorrow is yesterday'. The beginning features the F-104 and one is sent to intercept the 'Enterprise' as it's travelled back in time, as it does now and again. The F-104 featured has the markings:

FG 914

Construction Number: 383-1202

built circa 1957

The footage used in 'Star Trek' was probably taken on it's maiden flight. It's one of the most famous F-104s but I have no idea of it's present whereabouts, all I know it's still in tact and on display in the US. Would it be possible to do a skin job with these markings ?? 🙂

Screen_200624_044320.png

Whoops! No, the Star Trek plane was 70914, not 60914... according to the interwebs she crashed about a week before the episode aired.

Just working on the TAC logo and lightning bolt for the fin.

ModelViewer2 2021-01-02 14-22-58-38.png

Edited by jocko417
  • Like 1

Have you released FG-914. That is a very nice USAF F-104 but The repaint of 12701 has a special meaning to me and I love seeing that RCAF paint scheme. Thanks again and I love how the camo paints are coming along. Power to the trekkies

12701 paint by joco417  3.jpg

12701 paint by joco417 2.jpg

@jocko417 - I remember watching that F-104 episode of Star Trek when I was a kid and then re-watching it 40 years later.

Tomorrow is Yesterday was a fantastic episode and excellent advertising for the Starfighter back in the late 1960's.

VSN has a UFO Mod - maybe someone can put a skin on that and cook up a USS Enterprise lol.. 

- Again many thanks for the memories that these CF-104 Skins bring back.. Cheers!

I hope new DCS Clouds look like this in the "Near Future"

Tomorrow is Yesterday - Clouds!.JPG

• Like 1
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Yes it’s quite nice, isn’t it? There’s some stretching near the top of the intakes that extends along the fuselage that you have to work around. The Belgian markings there require a lot of skewing on the texture so they look round in the game, but c’est la vie when you’re trying to map a flat texture to a sharply curved surface, you’re going to get some distortion.

I think the model was done by cdpkobra.

Edited by jocko417

vor einer Stunde schrieb jocko417:

I think the model was done by cdpkobra.

Nope, it was done by Giuseppe Valfrè . He dit it for me (originally for Strike Fighters 2 series). VSN bought it from Turbosquit and brought it into DCS. 😉

Edited by soulfreak

Jocko, I'm in Calgary AB, and the local military museum has a CF-104 on display, can get quite close.  I don't remember details as it was over a year ago, but I do recall it was bare metal earlier scheme, had tip tanks on, and I think the Vicon camera was mounted. Beside it is an F-86 Sabrejet, and in the next room is a CF-18 Frozen Bug. In another part of the museum they have a  Supermarine Seafire (spitfire for carriers, with wings folded!), and a carrier jet whose name escapes me now (a very early jet fighter)... I think it was a McDonnell F2H Banshee.

Outside they have a CF-5 Freedom Fighter in green/grey on a pylon at 45degree climb. 

I'm no professional photographer. I can't count myself as even a competent amateur. But if you need, I could try to see if they are open ( not sure because of beer bug) and I could take closeup pics using my phone camera, of some or all if you wish. Not sure it matters to you or not, just figured I'd offer.  Caveat: I'm only in Calgary for 5 days a month, so there could be a wait for something specific, and CoronaBug of course!  But I could probably gain access to get very close pics of specific areas on these aircraft. Except the nose of the CF-5 owing to it being probably 50ft in the air! 

I was blown away by your early progress, but these in-game screens of the final versions are truly works of art !! You have certainly made any Canadian who knows the Starfighter very proud! Starfighters in Canadian bare metal livery, are easily among the top 10 most beautiful aircraft of all time, and you've done it the justice it deserves!

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words Rick, you know, I was thinking exactly the same thing last week, the Military Museums in Calgary would be an excellent resource as well. I've seen pictures of that Zipper online and it looks great. The big reason I was wanting to see '703 in Manitoba is the guys there have even gone as far as making sure all the service stenciling was done accurately.

I was in Calgary three times in December but, due to Covid, never thought to call the museum. Hopefully we'll start to pull out of this situation in the coming months and can start getting back to normal.

As for the skins I've always had a fascination for the 104, my uncle was the last squadron commander for 439 during the Starfighter days of 1CAG, before the switch to the Hornet. Nothing better than an aircraft that looks like it's doing Mach 2 even when it's parked!

Ooooh, is that Vietnam deployment scheme?

The first truly fast "anything" I ever saw, was CF-104's in Lahr in the 70's... that made a big impression on me!  Hercs in those days still had white and the red lightning  stripe !! 

And then months later I discovered there was a comic book featuring a Canadian fighter pilot named Dan Cooper, who flew mainly CF-104's, but later the CF-5, and the Eagle lunar lander I think... funny thing is, I don't think any Canadians were involved with creating the comic book! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Cooper_(comics)

https://www.coolfrenchcomics.com/dancooper.htm

I'd love to offer pics from Cold Lake's own museum, but I've not yet been there so I don't know what aircraft are even on display, and with the bug going around it might not open this summer season. It's "sort of" on the way to camp where I work, but would be an investment in time to actually go there. I know it's closed in the cold half of the year anyway, and think it has limited volunteers to open it for viewings? 

Anyway, if you have need of closeups of specific items on specific aircraft, let me know and I'll try to accomodate! 

Oh, and while I may not be the most enthusiastic Trekie, I do appreciate that skin too! I only just saw that episode for the first time about a year or two ago on a streaming service!

11 minutes ago, Mizzy said:

Hi Jocko, is this skin released ?

It’s been submitted, but due to the Russian Christmas break there might be delays getting things approved for the next week or so. 

Edited by jocko417
  • Like 2