F-104 Starfighter skins by jocko417

jocko417

ah interesting!  

When I saw 846 two years ago, it looked about roughly as I expected, but I'm no expert in the differences in variants, especially how the cockpits would have appeared at this year or that...

I'm just glad there's a few of these around, protected from the elements... one of the saddest things to see is an old bird withering away in the weather.  The paint flakes off, and the canopy "glass" goes yellow and starts looking fragile.  There's a CF-100 like that in Calgary, and a few jets over in Wetaskiwin AB, like a CF-101 Voodoo, and a couple of others. I'm sure they are short on indoor space, but I always wished to see such beauties be kept indoors.  

I hope you managed to get to Nanton AB, it's just 30mins south  of Calgary, they have a working Lancaster... it's not airworthy, but you can't tell to look at it! All four Merlins still work, and they usually fire them up once a year at dusk! They also have a Tallboy on display right under the bay doors. My brother and I got the opportunity to crawl inside the big bird, in exchange for a donation... I figured that was very fair! Of course, I believe Winipeg still has one of only two airworthy Lancasters in the world, in its collection there. I think around 5 years ago it flew to Britain to fly in formation with the British unit... I think they both flew over Buckingham in formation at one point.

Yeah, one of these days I’ll get to Wetaskiwin too. They have the only Sabre Mk.3 there, a test bed for the Orenda engines Canada used to build for our fighters back in the day. That particular airplane is also famous for being lent to Jacqueline Cochran, who flew a closed course at Edwards AFB, breaking the womens’ speed record and also becoming the first woman to fly faster than the speed of sound.

I went to Nanton a few years back, to see the national Bomber Command memorial, and of course the Lancaster. They had a great idea for displaying cockpits at that museum, the instrument panels were displayed separately, fully restored, behind glass, to stop people from pressing their fingers and faces against canopies 🙂 The Lancaster that went over to the UK is based at Hamilton, Ontario. What an amazing trip that would have been!

Edited by jocko417

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2021 at 9:46 PM, jocko417 said:

Camo skins on the way later this month. Just tweaking some stuff right now.

ModelViewer2 2021-07-16 20-36-30-40.png

ModelViewer2 2020-12-31 23-54-43-35.png

Did they make it out of the shop?  Can't find them.

Or are they for the re-release?

Edited by Saguanay

For the re-release… had planned on releasing them earlier but between a couple of museum trips and  learning the new version was coming I took the time to redo a bunch of stuff I wasn’t satisfied with. New rivets and screws, much more realistic looking now. Corrected some errors and added some new details. There will be a boat load of new paint schemes coming on or soon after the 15th of October when the re-release is, err… released… 😉

I’ve been flying the beta versions. You will not be disappointed with this new mod!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@jocko417 - Glad you are working with the new F-104 mod in Beta and updating your classy skins!   

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

I don’t see why not. At the moment the only nukes in the game are the ones carried by the MiG 21. Lob one and see how far you can go before the blast catches up with you 😬

Finishing up the new details on the tip tanks:

D0C08965-8CD4-4492-B9AD-25E9CFCB7116.png

04F5F30A-4331-4798-9B1A-D37C62C068DF.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rick50 said:

Damn that looks good!  Few man-made objects as beautiful as a nicely painted Starfighter... 

it’s a beautiful aircraft. I have to remind myself that there’s a trade off between artistic effect and reality: the airplane is smothered in rivets, but you don’t see them until you are quite close. Dimpling is almost non-existent. Very smooth, streamlined surfaces. The tip tanks feature welded construction and the welds are beautiful, very professionally done. I’ve tried to mimic the welds by playing with the normal maps to give a 3D effect as in the shot above. Just need to tone down the dirt a bit. The bare metal birds were kept very clean for speed.

The new version of the model improves on a couple of things, adds some little details that I won’t reveal yet, but one of the nicest improvements the devs did was reposition the tip tanks. On the present version the tanks, when installed, sit right at the end of the wingtip. In reality the wingtip went about six inches inside the tank. What this means is with the present model the wings end up looking too long when the tanks are installed because the tanks sit too far outboard on the model. The new model fixes this. Looks great, like the wingless wonder should!

You can see the adapter plate with the seals in the first pic above, and how the leading edge slat is only about a centimeter away from the tank. The flap is the same way, the outboard edge is only a centimeter or so away from the tank at it’s nearest point.

F6CCF00E-A479-48AF-8B86-5430C321705A.jpeg

C9CC6A08-9CE0-4F8C-9AE9-508A0A93FA2F.png

Just need to add some screws and the tanks are done 🙂

• Like 2

Am 7.10.2021 um 16:25 schrieb jocko417:

it’s a beautiful aircraft. I have to remind myself that there’s a trade off between artistic effect and reality: the airplane is smothered in rivets, but you don’t see them until you are quite close. Dimpling is almost non-existent. Very smooth, streamlined surfaces. The tip tanks feature welded construction and the welds are beautiful, very professionally done. I’ve tried to mimic the welds by playing with the normal maps to give a 3D effect as in the shot above. Just need to tone down the dirt a bit. The bare metal birds were kept very clean for speed.

The new version of the model improves on a couple of things, adds some little details that I won’t reveal yet, but one of the nicest improvements the devs did was reposition the tip tanks. On the present version the tanks, when installed, sit right at the end of the wingtip. In reality the wingtip went about six inches inside the tank. What this means is with the present model the wings end up looking too long when the tanks are installed because the tanks sit too far outboard on the model. The new model fixes this. Looks great, like the wingless wonder should!

You can see the adapter plate with the seals in the first pic above, and how the leading edge slat is only about a centimeter away from the tank. The flap is the same way, the outboard edge is only a centimeter or so away from the tank at it’s nearest point.

Just need to add some screws and the tanks are done 🙂

Great improvements mate! 👌

On 10/11/2021 at 10:48 AM, Saguanay said:

I can't see what the lil smiley dude is doing so I'll take that as a wait and see for the 15th.

EDIT:

Hey, did you get us nukes?   🙂

Haha, you can load the ones as used by the MiG-21, at the moment there are no western tactical nukes.

5 hours ago, CarloVecchi said:

Great improvements mate! 👌

Thanks, man. Check your PMs 😉