F-104 Starfighter skins by jocko417

jocko417

2 hours ago, GrizzlyJet said:

Cool.  Do we have to have our user skins approved by ED before we can post them?

After a bunch of research for an F-104 kit build, I've discovered that there is an exception to the shorter vertical stabilizer on F-104C's, where the fin/rudder is about 20-25% shorter longitudinally than on the F-104G, as modeled by VSN.  (The 104C fin/rudder doesn't stick out over the exhaust quite as far as the G).  The exception was 56-0885, the aircraft used to recapture the speed, time to climb and absolute altitude record when held by the F-104.  It had the tail section of an F-104B grafted on instead of the normal "C model" tail.  Not to count rivets or anything...

If you post them to the user files section of the DCS site then, yes they need to be approved, but you can post them anywhere you like.

Yeah, the C rudder isn’t as tall either, the bottom 20% or so above the exhaust is for the yaw damper, I think. The Cs based at Udorn carried a fighter wing marking there as did the Puerto Rico ANG (flag in PR’s case), something I tried to mimic on the G tail, although it looks a bit weird due to the slanted base of the G rudder.

DF736374-6C52-4415-B6A8-7C3DAD6B7F4B.jpeg

881FD1A7-5F8D-4510-AACE-F477A6F1BB57.png

Edited by jocko417
  • Like 1

Thanks, Jocko, understood.  Having a bit of curating isn't a bad thing.  A bit of artistic license is okay too, accuracy isn't a life or death thing.  Although it would be nice if VSN might release a "C" version for we detail nerds.  I was just glad to find the record breaking jet so that I could do a bare metal F-104 replica without having to perform major surgery on the rudder that comes with the kit.

#6 is the ejection seat. You can change textures, as I have done to mimic a C-2 seat for instance, but you can’t change the model. The only template I have for it (as such) are the C-2 changes I made, and you can just use the textures from my Shared folder if you want that seat.

Edited by jocko417

On 10/22/2021 at 10:14 PM, jocko417 said:

#6 is the ejection seat. You can change textures, as I have done to mimic a C-2 seat for instance, but you can’t change the model. The only template I have for it (as such) are the C-2 changes I made, and you can just use the textures from my Shared folder if you want that seat.

Sounds good - that will be important for the skin I'm going to spin up.  Thanks!  It's probably not likely, but I hope we can get some variations in the models to account for the version spread of the aircraft.  The modeling differences don't seem to be substantial, but I may be speaking out of turn.  😉

Nice pic!

13 hours ago, GrizzlyJet said:

Sounds good - that will be important for the skin I'm going to spin up.  Thanks!  It's probably not likely, but I hope we can get some variations in the models to account for the version spread of the aircraft.  The modeling differences don't seem to be substantial, but I may be speaking out of turn.  😉

You can use arguments in the description files to mimic both an early and late version of the CF-104 as well as the stock F-104G model now, thanks to the guys from VSN who have been very accommodating. I believe there may be RF versions in the pipeline as well. 

3 hours ago, alnel413 said:

Love the new camo paints. Still having so much fun with your RCAF liveries. Having some fictitious fun but man do those skunkworks designs 

look good together. Thanks for the paint kit as well.

F-104G and SR-71 (2).jpg

They’re nice models, aren’t they? Late variegated camo is next, as well as ‘703 from the Manitoba museum. The CEPE “Royal Flush” five airplanes are in progress, as well as ‘781 for you. 

• Like 1

@jocko417... which USAF font did you use to create the U. S. AIR FORCE markings?  I'm using Amarillo USAF for a new tail number and for some reason my lettering is ever so slightly bolder than yours.  I'm recreating the F-104C that achieved the last altitude record held by the F-104.  So far so good, but the lettering looks off.  (Great fun matching up the ID numbers near the speed brakes!!).

Edited by GrizzlyJet

4 hours ago, GrizzlyJet said:

@jocko417... which USAF font did you use to create the U. S. AIR FORCE markings?  I'm using Amarillo USAF for a new tail number and for some reason my lettering is ever so slightly bolder than yours.  I'm recreating the F-104C that achieved the last altitude record held by the F-104.  So far so good, but the lettering looks off.  (Great fun matching up the ID numbers near the speed brakes!!).

I think I used Amarillo USAF, so I'm not sure why the difference in appearance would happen, unless it's a case of using Gimp and choosing BOLD as a text style. Yes, it's FUN to match up the text in that area, isn't it 😉

3 hours ago, NoCoolName66 said:

Just wanted to say Thanks!  to you and the folks at VSN.  I really like booting along in the CF-104. 🙂

All thanks go to the guys at VSN for putting up with my whining 😉

• Thanks 1

I can't remember if I shared these photos of the Royal Flush but they were sent to me by the Canadian air force. I like how you can see the T-33 chase plane tip tank

in the photo from the negative. The photos were taken May 3, 1963. Here is one.

PCN-4452.jpg

And the second.

PCN-4453.jpg

And the last of the three photos I have.

PCN-4459.jpg

Thanks as well to the VSN team and of course to joco417 for the tremendous detailing on the F-104G.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year jocko417! Beautiful skins, very well done! I grew up in the vicinity of CFB Baden and remember the CF-104s flying from there well. I seem to cannot find the skins for '703 and '833 (1 CAD) in the user files, I would love to install them. Any pointers very welcome! Thanks for all the amazing texturing work!

Best wishes

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 7:23 PM, RhineHornet said:

Happy New Year jocko417! Beautiful skins, very well done! I grew up in the vicinity of CFB Baden and remember the CF-104s flying from there well. I seem to cannot find the skins for '703 and '833 (1 CAD) in the user files, I would love to install them. Any pointers very welcome! Thanks for all the amazing texturing work!

Best wishes

Yes, I’ll see if I can put ‘703 and ‘833 up this weekend. Started a training course for work in Jan which will run for the next few weeks so no time for skinning Mon-Fri…

19 hours ago, Mauser792 said:

Thanks to the beautifully detailed paint kit from jocko417, I did this early ROCAF skin with very little effort.  More to come.

4301.jpg

Beautiful!

• 10 months later...
On 12/28/2022 at 11:41 AM, CarloVecchi said:

Jip...

F-104G Hellenic Air Force Sea Camo Skin (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

I guess an TuAF natural metal skin is included in the latest F-104 download...

Thaaaanks!

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mate! So far it’s been a pretty easy conversion from the G, with only a couple of mapping issues at the rear edge of the new rudder. There are some other differences on the fuselage to work on, and some other details I could add but depends on how much time I have.

Tip tank inboard fins need to be shortened to same length as outboard fins, and some other things that hopefully Kobra can adjust on the model.