Nevada still worth buying after Persian Gulf?

Hi everyone,

so Im Pretty new to DCS and I own the F18, F14 and the Persian Gulf module.

Now with Nevada on sale I wonder if it is worth it or if it is "to old" compared to the awesome gulf map.

What are your thoughts? Is Nevada still worth buying?

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

After buying the Persia Map I had also decided to get Nevada for 20€ and I did not regret it. Yes, it is an older map with a bit less fidelity then PG and some areas look very bad modelled. Also the map is not as big as PG.

The reason why I recommend it is that there are still lots of decent looking areas where you can get more than enough value for your money if you are a true DCS fan. The interesting thing about the Nevada terrain is the mix of flat and mountainous terrain, while in the PG you often either find rough or flat terrain seperated from each other.

In addition Las Vegas looks awesome. You will not see much of it if you are flying in a fast jet, but in a helo or in the Harrier it is really great. Like GTA but on a realistic DCS level.

Last but not least there are lots of good missions and campaigns that require the Nevada map, so you should not miss it.

Thank you, guys!

So I guess I'm going to download it as soon as Im at home...

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

I'm really tempted to buy Nevada or Persian Gulf, with these discounts ED / DCS is making.

But I'm pretty much undecided about which one...

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Only one mod needed....use mustangs mod for higher resolution mesh if you have good system.

Didnt knew about that Mod, will search it and try .. thanks for the tip.

I enjoy Nevada, it has the big advantage of having a lot of DLC Campaigns for it (that you can purchase on sale for just US$5 each), while PG has none yet, so at least for Single Player it is a very fun map with many hours of enjoyment.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Only one mod needed....use mustangs mod for higher resolution mesh if you have good system.

Cant find it :( ... perhaps are you referring to this config change?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=190124

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

From the people who have / tried both of them, what do you say ?

Thank you.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

From the people who have / tried both of them, what do you say ?

NTTR.

I have all the maps. My squad uses Caucasus for combat missions, Normandy for WW2 combat and NTTR for training.

Although we do have Persian Gulf, it is very rarely used.

NTTR seems more convincing and immersive as a training area, due to the airfields, test ranges, and military bases that are scattered across the landscape. There is a city (Las Vegas), but it is not as OTT as the Oil cities on the PG map, so it doesn't hurt the FPS so badly. There is some inland water (Lake Mead), but if we want to fly naval ops, we go to the Caucasus. The NTTR bases are big, useful and work really well for training missions. (Yes, there are campaign DLCs too, but I don't have any of those.)

The big frustration with Persian Gulf, is that it is doesn't have any Gulf War areas... Iraq, Bahrain, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia are all missing. (Well, the basic coastline is there, but the landscape is completely unpopulated... a bit like the North coast of Turkey on the Caucasus map.) The Persian Gulf map seems like it has only about 20% of the Persian Gulf and feels very unfinished. The NTTR map has the entire NTTR.

It depends on your preferences, of course, but I really like NTTR (although Caucasus is still my current favourite).

NTTR.

I have all the maps. My squad uses Caucasus for combat missions, Normandy for WW2 combat and NTTR for training.

NTTR seems more convincing and immersive as a training area, due to the airfields, test ranges, and military bases that are scattered across the landscape. There is a city (Las Vegas), but it is not as OTT as the Oil cities on the PG map, so it doesn't hurt the FPS so badly. There is some inland water (Lake Mead), but if we want to fly naval ops, we go to the Caucasus. The NTTR bases are big, useful and work really well for training missions. (Yes, there are campaign DLCs too, but I don't have any of those.)

The big frustration with Persian Gulf, is that it is doesn't have any Gulf War areas... Iraq, Bahrain, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia are all missing. (Well, the basic coastline is there, but the landscape is completely unpopulated... a bit like the North coast of Turkey on the Caucasus map.) The Persian Gulf map seems like it has only about 20% of the Persian Gulf and feels very unfinished. The NTTR map has the entire NTTR.

It depends on your preferences, of course, but I really like NTTR (although Caucasus is still my current favourite).

Thank you for the insight xvii-Dietrich.

Well after spending the afternoon watching the forum, and several youtube videos about the 2 scenarios... Nevada it was.

The eye candy factor; the feeling that one always have known the place (from TV); and the fact that the price was just unbeatable - made me choose Nevada.

If the Persian Gulf scenario had Iran and Iraq land, one could think about recreate the 80's conflict, and i would probably chose that one, but until then...

In the future, some Europe Cold War (Germany with the Berlin Wall or something), would be outstanding.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

• 6 months later...
NTTR.

+1 I really wish PG had stretched a bit further. It would make it go from great to amazing :)

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

Nevada is definitely worth it IMO. There is so much content for it with free mission downloads and plenty of training campaigns covering many aircraft modules. It may not be quite as good looking as the PG map but it is still good. And if you use Mustangs terrain textures mod it improves it a little. Hopefully ED look to give it another overhaul down the track after all the other maps that are in development come out.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

I'm personally waiting for, DCS: Open Ocean...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

I have both.

They are two quite similar maps and both are - in a certain way - "strange".

I'll try to explain:

- Both are desert environment, both have rural and quite empty large areas (it's desert afterall) and both have very detaided zones (Las Vegas for Nevada, Dubai and Abu Dhabi for PG). The only real difference is that PG has the sea, while Nevada has not (only a few rivers and lakes).

- Both are "strange" since they are present days maps: it's strange to imagine a war setting in Nevada, in the heart of the USA; but we know Nevada is the set of Red Flag military exercises, so there's a military background. More suited for training weapons maybe, if you want to simulate realistically, and there's no point IMHO in using training weapons in a simulator, but at least it's a military setting; PG otherwise is in middle east, so maybe more suited for a real war than the USA, but it is equally strange to fire bombs and missiles besides 5 stars hotels and F1 racing circuit. Both are ok to build civil-like or SAR operations with transport helicopters (maybe uh-1 is better in Nevada and Mi-8 in PG), but I find none of them really ideal for a war set. Even if slightly less detailed (smaller less complex airports and no very high detailed cities), Caucasus is still the best setting to build an hypothetical from mid-80s to present days war crysis.

- For Afghanistan, Syria or Iraq I think we'll have to wait newer maps, PG is considered finished as it is.

Are they worth it? They are very well done maps so I say yes to both, but keep in mind what I have written above.

Edited by nessuno0505

Cant find it :( ... perhaps are you referring to this config change?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=190124

This is it. PG and NTTR share the affected .lua file

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=211165&highlight=Persian+gulF+texture+mod

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Old thread but since you discuss it again my 2 cents:

- SP Red Flag campaigns and missions for NTTR showing RL USAF procedures, esp. for Nellis AFB is what sold me this map. I learned a lot and don't regret buying. Of course it's not for war scenarios or carrier ops, but it was never meant for that.

- Don't have the PG yet, but the SP content is slowly pushing me into it. It's the only map where the carrier ops make sense at all. Pity it's only the part of the Gulf and made for 2018 but it's good enough for any potential confict.

- Caucasus being the only map for the very long time is home to some very fictional content but still fun and beatiful - having the seasons make it most special and believable.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 1 month later...

I’m relatively new to the game as well, and have both the Persian Gulf and Nevada Maps. I have quite a few hours on both, but I honestly spend more time in the Nevada amp than anywhere else.

I’d say with the map on sale, it’s a not even a question. As stated, there are a bunch of training missions for that map, and learning to drive an F-5 or A-10 just seemed like the right place to do so.