Warthog Throttle. New sound and movement. How normal is this?

-0303-

While moving either of the dual throttles the other throttle moves a little when the throttle pass the other and a clicking sound occurs. Would've shown better with a non-handheld steady camera. Looks, sounds worse in reality than on video.

Does anybody else's throttle act and sound like this?

It's disturbing because I think it is new. I fear maybe the friction mechanism starts to break down. Throttle is 4 months old.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Warthog Throttle. New sound and movement. How normal is this?

I have 2 TMW throttles #32109 and #90885. The older one shakes a bit like yours (perhaps a little less) when moving one throttle past the other but without any clicking sounds. I don’t have any movement nor clicking sounds with the newer one. My guess is that this has something to do with the magnets inside.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I wouldn't keep doing that until you figure out what is going on. Whether it's a foreign object, or a wire that is catching, you might do some avoidable harm to your throttle. I'd gently disassemble and take a peek.Something is rubbing between the two throttles on the bottom side of the pivot pushing the bases away which is why the top jerks towards the other throttle, I think.

Supporting the throttle upside down, remove the lower base plate and weighted plate if still installed. Paying attention to the ground wire that is in the one corner as you will want to ensure you get that back in place during reassembly. Ground wire rest on the threaded hole for the screw, and the bottom plate will bond the ground once the screws are tighten again.

With the plate off, the lower throttle arms are revealed, inspect for lose screws that may have backed out. The throttle arms are not connected to one another, they are on they own track. You can remove each arm from their tracks back removing the small plate and two screws (note there is a small spring behind that plate (serves as the detent spring). Gently pull the throttle up from the upper switch side to reveal some more screws along the throttle arms.

With that movement and click, I would guess that something has loosen up and is catching on the other track.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I checked, and my Warthog throttle exhibits the same behavior. I opened the bottom of the throttle per =Panther='s instructions, and examined the movement of the throttle handles past each other closely. I also inspected for screws that may have worked loose, or signs of wear/rubbing between any surfaces.

What I did learn is that the mechanism that locks the two throttle handles together consists of a movable pin in one handle, which can be extended into a metal cylinder which is mounted in the other handle. This locks the handles together. I found the metal cylinder is STRONGLY magnetic - and I believe the clicking and slight movement of the stationary handle as one is passed by the other is the result of the attraction between the cylinder and the pin.

Does this make sense? Can anyone else confirm?

My throttle is #47888, and the larger throttle handle does exhibit a fair amount of looseness between the handle and its rotation axis - but I can't see any loose screws. I may try to shim it with a small piece of cardboard.

Edited by oboe

Ryzen 7 2700, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200, 970 EVO 1TB SSD, eVGA GTX 1080 8GB ACX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The magnetic pin could be the cause, I'll check my throttle later and will report back. My is a very low number serial number, so it has a few hours on it.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Taking it apart might be a good idea to make sure nothing is grinding against something inside. The side panel on the bigger handle is fairly easy to remove, if you have done the slew mod before. Anyway, it's crazy to see from the serial no. that TM has made 91K of these things.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Supporting the throttle upside down, remove the lower base plate and weighted plate if still installed. Paying attention to the ground wire that is in the one corner as you will want to ensure you get that back in place during reassembly. Ground wire rest on the threaded hole for the screw, and the bottom plate will bond the ground once the screws are tighten again.

With the plate off, the lower throttle arms are revealed, inspect for lose screws that may have backed out. The throttle arms are not connected to one another, they are on they own track. You can remove each arm from their tracks back removing the small plate and two screws (note there is a small spring behind that plate (serves as the detent spring). Gently pull the throttle up from the upper switch side to reveal some more screws along the throttle arms.

With that movement and click, I would guess that something has loosen up and is catching on the other track.

Just to note. There's two ground wires in my throttle.

Another throttle thread with good pictures.

I took pictures while I had it apart. Just now I labeled the screws A-F. =Panther= would you mind indicating which two screws you are referring to?

Rtqpndq.jpg

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

My bad regarding the number of grounds, I was going off of memory.

C and D allows for the arms to raise up. There is a tiny spring under that cover. As you raise the arms, watch the slack in that rainbow ribbon.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I found the metal cylinder is STRONGLY magnetic - and I believe the clicking and slight movement of the stationary handle as one is passed by the other is the result of the attraction between the cylinder and the pin.

Does this make sense? Can anyone else confirm?

You are absolutely right. Both pin and cylinder are strongly magnetic. That would be a safe innocuous explanation for the wiggle (as opposed to something stuck in the mechanism). I can feel a force when the throttles are lined up that isn't there when the throttles are not lined up.

Is it meant to be magnetic? Or did it become magnetic since I received it? If the latter how did that happen and can I safely demagnetize it I wonder?

It is meant to be magnetic, make sure the pin is all the way end, and not flush or protruding.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is meant to be magnetic, make sure the pin is all the way end, and not flush or protruding.

The pin is as far away from the cylinder it can be. Still wiggle.

It wouldn't make sense for it to magically become magnetic so that sounds plausible. I don't get why it needs to be magnetic though.

So most likely wear has introduced a slack that allows it to wiggle while it couldn't wiggle when it was new.

Ed/add:

On second thought. The magnetism is probably to keep the throttles together and not have an ugly wiggle while they are connected.

Edited by -0303-

• 3 years later...
On 4/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, -0303- said:

While moving either of the dual throttles the other throttle moves a little when the throttle pass the other and a clicking sound occurs. Would've shown better with a non-handheld steady camera. Looks, sounds worse in reality than on video.

Does anybody else's throttle act and sound like this?

It's disturbing because I think it is new. I fear maybe the friction mechanism starts to break down. Throttle is 4 months old.

Bit of necro but my throttle did the same I found out what the issue is! Its the cable coming out of the right throttle clipping a bit of metal when you move the throttle. It might be worth opening it up and moving it in case it damages the cable.

IMG_20220423_105954.jpg.png

Edited by ak22
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting. I thought it was the magnet and therefore harmless, maybe not. I've not been using it a lot lately but I'm certainly taking notes. I will take it apart (again) eventually, I'm sure.