[REPORTED] Cold temps cause Autostart to fail

Seighin

Auto start fails in winter settings. Engine rpm idle will not go pass 63%. RPM failure.

In autumn it reaches 64%, in Summer 65%, auto start works in these environments.

With chock's on parked Engine in winter will only reach 67%, autumn 68%, summer 100%

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

I'm getting it

Same behavior here. When doing warm weather starts (actually 16C according to the temp probes in the engines prior to the start, which is not all that warm -- just over 60 degrees F for us 'Mericans) the right engine cranks up just fine and shows a transient max idle RPM of 66%, then quickly stabilizes at 65%. And the rest of the autostart sequence continues untroubled. In cold weather starts (-7C in my example) the max idle RPM never exceeds 63%, and the "RPM Fail" message pops up immediately. The autostart hangs, and just stays there with the right engine running, the left not, and half the startup process undone. No auto engine shutdown gets run, either (which'd be nice -- if the airplane is deemed unflyable by the automation, it should at least shut the busted thing down).

Does anybody who's not using the autostart see this when they try to crank up in the cold?

Edited by Woxof
Clarifying the (non)-start behavior

I did a normal startup (not an autostart) a couple of days ago in -2C, with snow and everything went fine. At an airfield, not the carrier.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Oh this was in Beta, not stable version. And yes a manual start you can set throttles to overcome the low rpm. Regardless this is not how it used to work. Engine performance has changed, well the readout has. It never used to perform this way. At colder temps you cannot get 100% on take off or at altitude. This has been the way since the last two patches. I have had several folks test it and they see the same thing. Perhaps you could verify. Thanks

I just tried again, cold start on the Stennis, Caucasus map, January, - 12.4C (lowest possible), snow storm. Manual start.

Both engines spooled up without issues and I didn't have to advance the throttle past the idle position during the startup sequence, to keep RPM in nominal levels. I peaked at 65% and rested at 63%.

At the catapult launch, I reached 97%, 98-99% during climbing and 100% after I leveled off.

I also tried an autostart (neat, never tried it before) and I indeed got the Right Engine RPM failure message at 63% RPM, whereupon the autostart discontinued.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

Now I get it when it's warm, too

Just tried to start the F/A-18 at the Kerman Airport on the PG map, using the autostart, 30 degrees C (in other words, NOT cold). Got the failure.

So the Hornet is now unusable for me. I refuse to spend 30 to 45 minutes of my very limited available flight time just making the engines go (that's what the engine start time amounts to, spread over 3 or 4 flights in a session, not just the one.) This is not what I paid good money for.

I should clarify that yes, this is using the Beta version. I tried an autostart at -1C in the stable version (at Echo Bay on the Nevada map, should anyone inquire) and did not experience the failure.

Could somebody at ED please take a look at this? Or at least respond?

Edited by Woxof
Typos

So the Hornet is now unusable for me. I refuse to spend 30 to 45 minutes of my very limited available flight time just making the engines go (that's what the engine start time amounts to, spread over 3 or 4 flights in a session, not just the one.) This is not what I paid good money for.

I don't mean to downplay the issue or invalidate your opinion, but maybe you can give manual start a chance, until the bug is fixed. Once you're familiar with the process, it only takes a few minutes, maybe 4 and most of that is waiting for the INS to align.

You can also use that time to set up the rest of the aircraft (Radar, JHMCS, RWR etc). The bug is unfortunate, but in the meantime, give it a shot. :)

-

Just tried to start the F/A-18 at the Kerman Airport on the PG map, using the autostart, 30 degrees C (in other words, NOT cold). Got the failure.

I should clarify that yes, this is using the Beta version. I tried an autostart at -1C in the stable version (at Echo Bay on the Nevada map, should anyone inquire) and did not experience the failure.

Could somebody at ED please take a look at this? Or at least respond?

When the bug happens, crank left engine, turn on oxygen, ddi's, EWR, lights, switch to NAV and you good to go literally cost you 15sec of your life, to do the rest yourself xD

Edited by whaaw

SFMBE

You guys are missing the point

Been there, done that. Apply this dodge, do this workaround. That's not how it's supposed to work. If they don't want to bother supporting an autostart (because real virtual pilots don't use them, right?) fine, let them say so. So far, I have not seen one word regarding this problem.

The bottom line is, right now the airplane as I bought it is broken. ED needs to fix it.

Edited by Woxof