GPU or CPU?

That's OK :) no need to be sorry...

And what will be a descent MOBO for these two bad boys?

SB11

I just built a new system, specs below.

The MSI MPG's are a nice series. I have the Gaming Pro Carbon, 32 gb of Gskill trident RGB RAM.

I purchased a Corsair H115i Pro, and with the 9700K overclocked to 5 ghz, my temps barely hit 60*C. Its extremely fast and boosted my DCS performance WAY UP. Next on the to do list is a better GPU. Also, the MSI board has an easy overclock one touch button, going with a water cooler like that, you wont burn up your CPU.

motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144212

RAM

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232748

Cooler

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181138

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine ran at 3.4GHz when I last checked with DCS up, constantly. Just boosting up in regular Windows activities.

Strange, the Turbo mode is supposed to work like this:

3800 MHz (1 or 2 cores)

3700 MHz (3 cores)

3600 MHz (4 cores)

As dcs only uses two cores I assumed that you should be able to run dcs at 3.8 Ghz, without need to overclock further.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

In your case Core i7 2600K

I am telling you CPU !

Just did similar update to 6700

night and day trust me.

Your gpu is bottle-necked. Problem of DCS is that AI and other assets need cpu power. Tell me how many times you can accelerate time before you get 1FPS ?

if 3 to 4 Go for that CPU.

This will not make your fps top numbers higher but your low numbers might get massive boost.

was thinking a 2070 GPU + 9700 CPU combo. that's about $1000

SB11

CPU-wise, wait a few more months for what Ryzen 3xxx has to offer. Rumours say price/performance is going to wipe Intel completely off the chart (though what it will be in real life is yet to be seen).

For now, I'd suggest upgrading your GPU. I currently run a I7 2600K @ 4.0 ghz with 16gb DDR3 and a RTX 2070. Before the RTX, I had a GTX 770 2GB, GPU upgrade gave me massive more FPS, DCS now runs on 1080p, most settings highest, singleplayer 60+ fps, while the GTX770 gave me 40 FPS on medium settings max.

However, the I7 2600K is a real bottleneck now, especially in other games. Battlefield 5 for example, in benchmarks the RTX2070 runs that game on 1080P Ultra at about 100-120FPS, but due to my 2600K I only manage to get 55-70FPS.

Like I said, wait for Ryzen 3xxx, if the rumours are right you know where to upgrade to (will do myself too)

Intel i9 10850k | Noctua NH-U12A | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC | Patriot Viper Steel 64gb @3600MT/s | ASUS TUF RX 7900 XTX OC | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | HP Reverb G2

IMHO, as long as DCS is not optimised for multi-core usage (more than the two), I would stick to Intel. Their single core performance is usually a lot stronger... And as soon as AMD announces their shiny new CPU lineup... Intel will do the same.

If you use the computer for other heavy workload stuff like encoding / renderering, team red has a lot to offer. But for DCS I will always go for team blue/green.

I would love to get a system from team red... but the games I usually play dont really run well on those systems :joystick:

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

IMHO, as long as DCS is not optimised for multi-core usage (more than the two), I would stick to Intel. Their single core performance is usually a lot stronger... And as soon as AMD announces their shiny new CPU lineup... Intel will do the same.

If you use the computer for other heavy workload stuff like encoding / renderering, team red has a lot to offer. But for DCS I will always go for team blue/green.

I would love to get a system from team red... but the games I usually play dont really run well on those systems :joystick:

True, and many other games are not optimized for multiple threads as well. However, if AMD is really going to release their new line up for the speculated prices, the price/performance will be great (and as stated before, of course we'll have to wait and see if this will be the case). Personally, I don't need the fastest of the fastest (in that case I would have bought the RTX 2080Ti), but want the best for a certain budget, and according to recent rumours, AMD will be king with Ryzen 3000.

Intel will definately have an answer to Ryzen 3000, so who knows what interesting things will happen.

Long story short, regarding TS's question, I'd say update GPU now if really needed and for CPU wait untill Ryzen 3000 is released, then decide what's best for you (be it Ryzen 3000, or Intel's answer to that CPU line-up)

Intel i9 10850k | Noctua NH-U12A | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC | Patriot Viper Steel 64gb @3600MT/s | ASUS TUF RX 7900 XTX OC | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | HP Reverb G2

Honestly those are way too overpriced parts for my taste.

I would pick something with nicer price/performance ratio.

But its your money, so.

It's really overkill for 1080p . A 9600k or even less and a 2060 are plenty . Still , the op's selections would allow 1440p or vr options in the future if he wishes .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Svsmokey is likely on the money there.

FWIW

I did a budget build recently using some RAM and a GPU I had after updating my other rig.

If your not interested in O/Cing ASUS Prime good price and still capable. I'd recommend Z390 chipset motherboard over 370. But that's just me.

I went with the 9600K to save enough to buy my wife a Rift. :thumbup:

Had 32GB of 2666 RAM (XMP-ed straight to 2800. RAM speed helps and a 1080Ti.

I attempted to try 2D DCS on a 2560*1600 screen, frame rates were awesome high 70s to over 90FPS on the ground. My flying was crap. :music_whistling:

Whilst I understand DCS is somehow still only using 2 threads, under Windows 10/Rift/DCS that has all changed in that all 6 cores on this thing are way more active then they used too be and way higher CPU utilisation.

I'm not saying it's DCS they would have made a big deal about it, right?

Don't waste your money on a 2080Ti unless you want to go VR or 4K even then I'd go more CPU first or wait and see what AMD does with Ryzen and Navi.

In practical terms there isn't much in it between M.2 and SATA SSD, yes M.2 NVME will be slightly faster but the difference are maybe a couple of seconds in DCS load time.

I recommend 32GB but that's just me.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Well, hopefully, I'm going to fly to the US during September so my upgrade will have to wait until then, as I'm planning to buy my parts there (prices here are waaay to high:(

So I'll wait to see what Ryzen has to offer. As for the overkill - I get it that I maybe stretching it a bit but as you can see from my specs - I don't upgrade too often, so my system better be ready for the long run... :)

SB11

CPU: intel Core i7 9700K ~ 3.6 GHZ , nVidia RTX2060 SUPER, 32GB 3300 Mhz RAM, DELL 24" LED. Windows 10

flickering black screen

Just experienced a flickering black screen now when I flew over a large city with an F-14. It went away when I passed and got further away from the city - a CPU or a GPU bottleneck here?

SB11

CPU: intel Core i7 9700K ~ 3.6 GHZ , nVidia RTX2060 SUPER, 32GB 3300 Mhz RAM, DELL 24" LED. Windows 10

Just experienced a flickering black screen now when I flew over a large city with an F-14. It went away when I passed and got further away from the city - a CPU or a GPU bottleneck here?

SB11

probably both.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I overclocked my cpu and gpu, and got the best performance hit from the cpu OC.

i9 12900KS, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 APEX, 64 GB DDR5 4700 mhz, ASUS RTX4090, Water cooled, C - NVME SSD, 😧 DCS on SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle, Crosswind rudder Pedals, 2 x Thrustmaster MFDs on LCD Screens, Varjo Aero VR, Logitech game controller

Interestingly, yesterday I upgraded from 16Gb of DDR3 1600 to 16Gb of DDR3 2400, both low latency. Although my upper end FPS hasn’t changed, on the low end (usually starting at an airport on a multiplayer server) went from low 40’s to low 70’s.

It’s actually a bigger jump than going from my GTX770 to a Vega64. Unfortunately I’m pretty much at the end of what I can further improve without going to a new motherboard/cpu/ram combo. Hopefully it’s enough for a simple VR setup when the new ones come out in the next few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 2400, Vega64 @1080p

GPU or CPU?

any idea why the speed increase only affects the low end?

I take it back I might have a bit of a ram bottleneck that the faster ram helps with but today I'm back down to mid 50s, so it could be server traffic too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 2400, Vega64 @1080p

I think I'll upgrade my CPU first to 9700K + new MOBO + quicker RAM and see how it goes...

what do you think?

SB11

with your current CPU, upgrading the GPU wont do much. yes you will get a bit more performance, but your CPU will be bottle-necking the GPU. Get the CPU, Mobo, and RAM first, built a solid foundation for a new more powerful card. Going with a better card now will not net you that much more FPS.

I had a 3rd gen i7 at 4ghz, 32gb DDR3 ram and my 1070. I would get maybe 20-25 FPS on the ground at Nellis with all setting set to low, and maybe 40 if I was lucky away from Nellis. I upgraded to what is in my signature now, but kept the same video card, and I am now getting 45 FPS on the ground at Nellis with about all settings set to high. I have even hit 60+ when away from Nellis. This is all in VR btw. A good, fast CPU, good mother board and RAM will make a big difference in the end.

Edited by Strikeeagle345

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

I am going to go against the grain here and say that you should upgrade GPU over CPU first.

Up until november I was running with a 2600k (running with 9900k now)

and honestly you will get more out of a better GPU DCS uses alot more VRAM these days and you will benefit from a new graphics card more than a new CPU, overclock that 2600k to 4.5 ghz (its still pretty viable in 2019 despite its age where as the 970 is getting pretty long in the tooth) and get a 2070.

what resolution are you running the game at out of interest?

DCS is a very CPU dependent, too much. An optimization is urgently needed to take advantage of more process threads. The GPU helps in high resolutions 2k, 4k, but in 1080p if you don´t have a good CPU, DCS performs poorly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Vista, Suerte y al TORO !!

I am going to go against the grain here and say that you should upgrade GPU over CPU first.

Up until november I was running with a 2600k (running with 9900k now)

and honestly you will get more out of a better GPU DCS uses alot more VRAM these days and you will benefit from a new graphics card more than a new CPU, overclock that 2600k to 4.5 ghz (its still pretty viable in 2019 despite its age where as the 970 is getting pretty long in the tooth) and get a 2070.

what resolution are you running the game at out of interest?

1080 at the moment

SB11