GPU or CPU?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in a similar dilemma right now, but my budget is a little tighter than sb11's ... Was thinking about rtx 2070 / i5-9600k combo as an upgrade, do you guys think it's possible to do VR with it in the next 2 years, or should I shoot higher right now for that (9700k, 1080Ti?) ?

What is the difference between a landing, a good landing and a perfect landing?

-After a landing the A/C is back on the ground. After a good landing the pilots walks away. After a perfect one you can reuse the aircraft.

I am good at doing landings.

I'm in a similar dilemma right now, but my budget is a little tighter than sb11's ... Was thinking about rtx 2070 / i5-9600k combo as an upgrade, do you guys think it's possible to do VR with it in the next 2 years, or should I shoot higher right now for that (9700k, 1080Ti?) ?

Nothing wrong with that cpu . The gpu ? Depends on the headset . It is ok for an original Rift or Vive , adequate for a Rift S , but you will wish for more with a higher resolution headset . This may change , however , with the upcoming VR optimisation , as no one is stating if it will unload the cpu or gpu .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Nothing wrong with that cpu . The gpu ? Depends on the headset . It is ok for an original Rift or Vive , adequate for a Rift S , but you will wish for more with a higher resolution headset . This may change , however , with the upcoming VR optimisation , as no one is stating if it will unload the cpu or gpu .

hm ok thanks! But in the meanwhile, do you think 1440p is doable with that setup with some nice details?

-After a landing the A/C is back on the ground. After a good landing the pilots walks away. After a perfect one you can reuse the aircraft.

I can only say that i ran a locked 60hz with minimal concessions to eye candy ( and practically no shimmering ) with a 1070 in 1080p . You should be able to do very nearly as well with a 2070 at 1440

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Great information, thanks a lot!

What's the best upgrade for a 8700K @ 4.8GHz and a 1080ti? I play at 4K so it's always a compromise between quality and fps. I'd like to increase the view distance and have 2x AA, maybe surface texture to high.

According to GPU-Z my GPU usage is around 70% when it's fairly busy, but the CPU usage doesn't get much above 30% (which I know is a misleading number) either.

I know with the GPU there's no point getting anything but a 2080 Ti, so what should I do?

Edited by electricaltill

What's the best upgrade for a 8700K @ 4.8GHz and a 1080ti? I play at 4K so it's always a compromise between quality and fps. I'd like to increase the view distance and have 2x AA, maybe surface texture to high.

According to GPU-Z my GPU usage is around 70% when it's fairly busy, but the CPU usage doesn't get much above 30% (which I know is a misleading number) either.

I know with the GPU there's no point getting anything but a 2080 Ti, so what should I do?

push the 8700k up to 5 ghz. Still a very solid CPU. What RAM are you running and at what speed? If your GPU is only at 70%, it is likely waiting on your CPU.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

push the 8700k up to 5 ghz. Still a very solid CPU. What RAM are you running and at what speed? If your GPU is only at 70%, it is likely waiting on your CPU.

I have 64GB of DDR4 3000.

I tried to get the 8700K up to 5GHz but can't do it with air cooling, I lost the silicon lottery on this one. Still, an AIO watercooler would be a lot less than a new CPU/GPU so maybe I'll try that.

I have 64GB of DDR4 3000.

I tried to get the 8700K up to 5GHz but can't do it with air cooling, I lost the silicon lottery on this one. Still, an AIO watercooler would be a lot less than a new CPU/GPU so maybe I'll try that.

I am running the Corsair H115i RGB kit. My 9700K at 5 ghz doesn't go over 60°C, solid AIO cooler. I'm sure the Soldered chip design helps too.

Also, RAM speed helps FPS too. When I built my new machine, I forgot to set the XMP profile and the RAM was stuck at 2133. When I enabled it, I jumped up 5 FPS (at least) just in that adjustment alone. I then did the overclock and got even more FPS out of DCS.

Edited by Strikeeagle345

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Well I was going to upgrade, but the cost in doing so, I thought it would be smarter to just get a whole new rig. So I did.

I just got into DCS a few months ago, mainly because of the F-14, so as of now, DCS, for me, is F-14 simulator.

Anyway, my current, and soon to be donated machine, consists of a i5-4590, GTX 1060 6gb, 8 gigs of RAM, and a HDD. The experience is not so good. Load times are about 10 minutes, from starting the sim, to getting into a mission. With some annoying stutters and framedrops.

I just purchased a pre-built last night, should be here Friday of this post. (the day after tomorrow!) I copied and pasted the main specs off the receipt. I am pretty sure I will notice a huge difference. Hopefully......

Intel® Core™ Processor i7-9700K

GEIL Super Luce 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz RGB MEMORY

ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4

GIGABYTE GeForce® RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6

ATNG 1000Watts 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

MasterLiquid Lite 120mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate

I paid $1600 dollars, with free 2 day shipping. I am going to get another 16 gigs of RAM for it soon, very soon.

Edited by Castor Troy

Well I was going to upgrade, but the cost in doing so, I thought it would be smarter to just get a whole new rig. So I did.

I just got into DCS a few months ago, mainly because of the F-14, so as of now, DCS, for me, is F-14 simulator.

Anyway, my current, and soon to be donated machine, consists of a i5-4590, GTX 1060 6gb, 8 gigs of RAM, and a HDD. The experience is not so good. Load times are about 10 minutes, from starting the sim, to getting into a mission. With some annoying stutters and framedrops.

I just purchased a pre-built last night, should be here Friday of this post. (the day after tomorrow!) I copied and pasted the main specs off the receipt. I am pretty sure I will notice a huge difference. Hopefully......

MasterLiquid Lite 120mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate

I paid $1600 dollars, with free 2 day shipping. I am going to get another 16 gigs of RAM for it soon, very soon.

It will be a MASSIVE improvement. Congrats and enjoy.:thumbup:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

Hi everybody!

Hope my question stick with the thread (instead of start a new one!). I'm pretty new about DCS World...I was using to play the very first LOMAC ages ago! :D I'd like to ask you this guys…

My rig is

I7 5820 K

32 GB Ram DDR4

RTX 2080 Ti

I've no problem in playing 4K native with all the settings on HIGH...I'm on 60 FPS rock solid with the cockpit view (FPS stuck to 60 coz I'm playing on TV Oled...if I turn the Vsync off can easily rich 120 FPS). Problem is when I want to switch to the external views F2-F3-F4...wheneve I try to enjoy some very good views and textures, FPS drops drammaticaly under 30...it's like a punch in the eye...I've tried to mess around lowing some settings (trees, shadows, grass, motion blur etc)...nothing seems to help. So I know my CPU is old (2015) but I was wondering if it's just a bottleneck or there's some settings I'm missing...or also is the game that it's very heavy on that views...thank you in advance for any hint! :)

Hi everybody!

Hope my question stick with the thread (instead of start a new one!). I'm pretty new about DCS World...I was using to play the very first LOMAC ages ago! :D I'd like to ask you this guys…

My rig is

I7 5820 K

32 GB Ram DDR4

RTX 2080 Ti

I've no problem in playing 4K native with all the settings on HIGH...I'm on 60 FPS rock solid with the cockpit view (FPS stuck to 60 coz I'm playing on TV Oled...if I turn the Vsync off can easily rich 120 FPS). Problem is when I want to switch to the external views F2-F3-F4...wheneve I try to enjoy some very good views and textures, FPS drops drammaticaly under 30...it's like a punch in the eye...I've tried to mess around lowing some settings (trees, shadows, grass, motion blur etc)...nothing seems to help. So I know my CPU is old (2015) but I was wondering if it's just a bottleneck or there's some settings I'm missing...or also is the game that it's very heavy on that views...thank you in advance for any hint! :)

Please post a screen shot of your graphics settings menu. Also, your CPU clock speed.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

Please post a screen shot of your graphics settings menu. Also, your CPU clock speed.

First of all, thank you for the quick reply! :)

I've just found out the problem...depth of field...if I turn it off I'm steady on 60FPS on external view too...with depth of field on, no matter if simple or boke, (what's the difference???) my FPS goes very low...it's such a shame!!! That effects is my preferred one...makes all the scene such more realistic!

Cpu clock is 3,6 GHZ

nubhua5h.jpg

First of all, thank you for the quick reply! :)

I've just found out the problem...depth of field...if I turn it off I'm steady on 60FPS on external view too...with depth of field on, no matter if simple or boke, (what's the difference???) my FPS goes very low...it's such a shame!!! That effects is my preferred one...makes all the scene such more realistic!

Cpu clock is 3,6 GHZ

nubhua5h.jpg

Yeah, Depth of Field is uselss.

Your PC is bottlenecked by your CPU FYI.

If you can overclock you CPU, you will see quite the performance increase. DCS is very CPU bound and it loves high core clock speed. Also, turning down Civilian traffic will help some of the CPU overhead.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

Yeah, Depth of Field is uselss.

Your PC is bottlenecked by your CPU FYI.

If you can overclock you CPU, you will see quite the performance increase. DCS is very CPU bound and it loves high core clock speed. Also, turning down Civilian traffic will help some of the CPU overhead.

Got it! I'll have a try thnx!

RAM amount

Hi all again :)

as part of my grand update I will need to buy new RAN sticks. As I am planning on The i79700k, what RAM is recommended? (ie how many Gigs and clock speed)

SB11

CPU: intel Core i7 9700K ~ 3.6 GHZ , nVidia RTX2060 SUPER, 32GB 3300 Mhz RAM, DELL 24" LED. Windows 10

as part of my grand update I will need to buy new RAN sticks. As I am planning on The i79700k, what RAM is recommended? (ie how many Gigs and clock speed)

SB11

16 should be fine, but to future proof and if the budget permits it go for 32gigs. Clock speed upwards of 2800MHz, 3000. Also, DDR4 !! ;)

Might need to set the RAM speed to the advertised value, many start at 2133 (I think, have to check) out of the box. But that's a straightforward BIOS change, many guides on that online :-)

SB11

I am using G Skill Trident Z CL14 with good results - 32 GB.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Congrats: very nice rig. I agree that your next sensible upgrade would be another 16GB of RAM for 32GB total. Most applications will not use that much but I have 32 and I noticed that DCS uses a lot of RAM. I think that it preloads maps into RAM. You might also upgrade your rig with the best aircooler out there: Noctua's NH-U12A. You might think it a downgrade from a 240 AIO, but it is not... it outperforms 360 AIOs. About $80-100 I think.

SB11

Sure: some advice on RAM: 1) Get sufficient RAM. Much more important than fast RAM. 2) Always buy RAM in matched pairs, or if you are using 4 sticks it is better to buy in matched quad packs... their XMP settings are validated when working together. 3) Paying huge amounts for the fastest RAM out there is pointless for applications unless you are specifically trying to benchmark. 4) High performance RAM that is not too stupid on a value for money basis, is about 3200 MHz CAS 14. Faster than this and the price goes up and lot and the latency goes up too making it not much faster, actually often slower in use. 5) Intel is not too picky on RAM brands, but generally I prefer G.Skill and Team Group to get Samsung B Die DIMMs (O/C better). But if there is a great bargain elsewhere go for that instead. 6) Beware Corsair... they often bin expensive RAM with headline fast speeds, but they use lousy RAM timings making it much slower than the alternatives. And they charge a lot for it.

Edited by Milou

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am playing DCS with a 3770K a 970 and a rift, after I shut the game down, I check MSI afterburner and the 970 is maxing out while the 3770K doesn't even hit 35 percent usage. I am holding off upgrading my card as the prices are insulting (I will probably get a 2070 when they drop under 380 GBP). So at the moment I am patiently awaiting the terrain updates. IMO to answer your opening question a 2070 would be better for you now, see how you go and then you can build a new rig around that.

GigabyteZ390, 9900K, RTX2080, 32 gig RAM,TM Warthog, Cessna Pro Pedals, Pico 4

Congrats: very nice rig. I agree that your next sensible upgrade would be another 16GB of RAM for 32GB total. Most applications will not use that much but I have 32 and I noticed that DCS uses a lot of RAM. I think that it preloads maps into RAM. You might also upgrade your rig with the best aircooler out there: Noctua's NH-U12A. You might think it a downgrade from a 240 AIO, but it is not... it outperforms 360 AIOs. About $80-100 I think.

Sure: some advice on RAM: 1) Get sufficient RAM. Much more important than fast RAM. 2) Always buy RAM in matched pairs, or if you are using 4 sticks it is better to buy in matched quad packs... their XMP settings are validated when working together. 3) Paying huge amounts for the fastest RAM out there is pointless for applications unless you are specifically trying to benchmark. 4) High performance RAM that is not too stupid on a value for money basis, is about 3200 MHz CAS 14. Faster than this and the price goes up and lot and the latency goes up too making it not much faster, actually often slower in use. 5) Intel is not too picky on RAM brands, but generally I prefer G.Skill and Team Group to get Samsung B Die DIMMs (O/C better). But if there is a great bargain elsewhere go for that instead. 6) Beware Corsair... they often bin expensive RAM with headline fast speeds, but they use lousy RAM timings making it much slower than the alternatives. And they charge a lot for it.

yeah I'll probably go for 3200 MHz but I'm not sure if 16Gigs will be enough. Oh and one very big deal that just popped in me head - will my 650W PSU be sufficient for a 9700K+TRX2070+16GB RAM+500GB SSD card +WARTHOG HOTAS?:huh:

CPU: intel Core i7 9700K ~ 3.6 GHZ , nVidia RTX2060 SUPER, 32GB 3300 Mhz RAM, DELL 24" LED. Windows 10

SB11

to get the most of the 9700K, get DDR4-3200 CL14. Anything less and you are selling yourself short. Also, 32GB to future proof.

Edited by Strikeeagle345

Strike

USLANTCOM.com