Mission 8 advice

Loving this campaign so far. On mission 8 right now. I've attempted it once and got shot down. Without spoiling I'm looking for some advice. See question in spoiler below.

I'm able to take out the first two targets from JTAC no problem. What would be a good strategy target the other objectives without JTAC coordinates? To see and target them I have to go below the weather line. Once I do that I'm in sight and range of the enemy. New to this and looking for options to try. Thanks!

Windows 10 x64 | i5-9600K | ASUS RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 256GB & 1TB SSD | GIGABYTE Z390 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Virpil WarBRD | Slaw RX Viper v2 | TrackIR 5 | Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC

Hey! Wha I usually do:

Take your time and plan ahead. Check the map and use the TAD to see where you pass the clouds and know where the mountains are. When getting below clouds, use the valley that is perpendicular to the target, it will give you some time to have a look with TGP and note the coordinates or just lock what you want to hit. Get above the clouds and drop bombs - obviously after taking out main targets you will want to get rid of MANPADS. When these are gone with some luck you will be able to use wingman to hit the AAA and other targets. Make sure to save two bombs for the bunkers!

Hope this helps!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Thanks for the help!! I will give this a try.

Windows 10 x64 | i5-9600K | ASUS RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 256GB & 1TB SSD | GIGABYTE Z390 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Virpil WarBRD | Slaw RX Viper v2 | TrackIR 5 | Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC

My issue with this mission is that my wingman appears to be a waste of space. Any advice on actually getting him to do something?

I have the same issue. Tried twice and still haven't beaten this mission. Baltic's advice helped a lot the second time around. Still tried to get wingman to attack air defenses and nothing. Post back if you find a solution.

On another note, I have to say this mission made me smile. When you get dropped in the pit it’s so dark and gloomy. Once you close the canopy the sound of the rain hitting the glass is so realistic. Then once you take off and get above the weather it’s all blue skies. Beautiful! Then when you have to go below the weather line again near the targets, it really sets the mood. Goes from peaceful to dark and gloomy all out war. Nice job Baltic!! These missions are really immersive.

On another note, I have to say this mission made me smile. When you get dropped in the pit it’s so dark and gloomy. Once you close the canopy the sound of the rain hitting the glass is so realistic. Then once you take off and get above the weather it’s all blue skies. Beautiful! Then when you have to go below the weather line again near the targets, it really sets the mood. Goes from peaceful to dark and gloomy all out war. Nice job Baltic!! These missions are really immersive.

Thanks! As for the wingmen, don’t use the “engage X at my SPI” but the general commands “Engage air defences” etc. I think the SPI one is bugged but I do agree that AI can be useless quite often...

@baltic_dragon Thank you for the reply, I'll give that a go. I managed to remove all the air defences single handedly last night by resorting to gun runs! Checked in with the the second JTAC but he never replied so he must have figured that without any ordinance, I was useless to him.

I did get my wingman to drop a single JDAM in another attempt but generally he doesn't do anything. I'm not giving up just yet though.

You can take out the bunkers without the JTAC... or get the wingman below the clouds in close formation (finger four for instance or close trail) and let him get a good look at the AO, if he starts calling out the targets he will then engage them. Sorry, unfortunately I have no control over the wingman... but knowing the problems there are I am seriously thinking that for the Raven One I will add wingmen as separate flights controlable by F10 menu. There would be less options, but adequate to situation and the AI given special triggered commands tend to do better than the AI wingman. We'll see how it will work...

Really appreciate you engaging on this. I'm sure there are plenty of guys getting through the mission so there must be a way, it's not all on your shoulders. That said, any incremental improvement would be welcomed!

@Baltic_Dragon Success! Your suggestion of getting my wingman down underneath the clouds with me worked. He did enough to make the difference and I think he survived the ejection!

Now I just need to learn not to throw out chaff against an IR missile in mission 9.

• 1 year later...

Are the GBU-38s supposed to be able to take out Grouse and Grask targets through the clouds without you going down through them, or are the coordinates not accurate enough? I just tried with one, after putting the coordinates as a waypoint, and setting that wayoint as the target, but it missed, so I went down through the clouds and they shot me down.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Are the GBU-38s supposed to be able to take out Grouse and Grask targets through the clouds without you going down through them, or are the coordinates not accurate enough? I just tried with one, after putting the coordinates as a waypoint, and setting that wayoint as the target, but it missed, so I went down through the clouds and they shot me down.

Yes you should be able to take out Grouse and Grask without going below the clouds. I haven't played this mission in a while but it worked perfect last time I tried it.

Yes you should be able to take out Grouse and Grask without going below the clouds. I haven't played this mission in a while but it worked perfect last time I tried it.

Thanks. Do you need to enter elevation in the CDU as well?

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Thanks. Do you need to enter elevation in the CDU as well?

CDU should compute elevation for you, no need to enter. You switched to grid 38T right? This video might help:

• 1 year later...

Here is how I did it(status sep 2021):

-climb to 20’000 or above asap.

-as soon as the wingman detects something, engage him immediatly. He will destroy every air-defence. That means that you can save some GBU-38s.

-If you engage the wingman immediately, Warrior 1 doesn’t need your support and you can jump directly to Warrior 2 to destroy the Bunkers.

-I have the feeling the bunker coordinates from Warrior 2 are not correct. Also he asks for GBU-12 and is lasing? I just ignored and used the coordinates from the briefing and bingo, Warrior 2 is happy. Destroy the main building with the remaining GBU-38.

Then go below the clouds and destroy what remains with the mavericks and rockets.

-Wasn’t that difficult 😁

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old campaign, but still, it's still for sale in the shop. Wingman is garbage, I've never had him engage anything, and believe me I've tried. He starts popping flares at some point and usually crashes into the ground. 

The second JTAC doesn't respond with anything. The coordinates from the kneeboard seem precise enough, but those pillboxes require a direct hit. I had two near hits and one miss, on direct hit. Leaving me not enough explosives to complete the mission. 

I have yet to see a wingman doing anything in this campaign, besides calling out SAMs. 

Skipped.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 9:51 PM, sepruda said:

I know this is an old campaign, but still, it's still for sale in the shop. Wingman is garbage, I've never had him engage anything, and believe me I've tried. He starts popping flares at some point and usually crashes into the ground. 

The second JTAC doesn't respond with anything. The coordinates from the kneeboard seem precise enough, but those pillboxes require a direct hit. I had two near hits and one miss, on direct hit. Leaving me not enough explosives to complete the mission. 

I have yet to see a wingman doing anything in this campaign, besides calling out SAMs. 

Skipped.

Are you flying it in A-10CII or old A-10C? The campaign got an overhaul for the new A-10 and in my tests all worked fine (after some bug fixes). Unfortunately it won't be possible anymore to keep it up-to-date for the old A-10 because there are too many discrepancies, I'll ask ED to remove it from the store for the old Warthog. 

On 5/29/2023 at 9:27 AM, baltic_dragon said:

Are you flying it in A-10CII or old A-10C? The campaign got an overhaul for the new A-10 and in my tests all worked fine (after some bug fixes). Unfortunately it won't be possible anymore to keep it up-to-date for the old A-10 because there are too many discrepancies, I'll ask ED to remove it from the store for the old Warthog. 

I only fly in the A-10CII

Edited by sepruda