JDAM instructions

flavnet

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are independent only if you don't select the station during programming. Logic changed after that video was made, I believe a new one will be done once Wags is feeling better and has the time.

Hi Nineline,

When you say "select the station during programming", do you mean select by "Step" or by "QTY"? In any case, neither of them works. The stations are still independent of the PPs.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Hi any reason why I don't have the bombs for JDAM Like GBU 31?

Can we get your version? (stable current: 2.5.4.29167, Beta Current: 2.5.4.30038)

If you are on stable, The JDAMS have not been released for you yet, you'll need to shift to to the beta for them.

If you are on the beta, any specifics as to what you are doing would go a long way to solving your problem

Edited by CAPT_Kirkpatrick

I've tried them all, but with "n" JADAM you just can't get "n" targets in a single pass. As I read above, although I have meticulously followed the instructions on Youtube (and also on this forum), in the programming of the bomb release there is no way to permanently associate the single station (STAx) with the single program (PPy). Therefore, when you reach the release point (IN RNG), selecting, for example, PP1 you discover that it is associated with the last programmed STA (STA8, for example), rather than to STA1. So, if I selected PP1 and push the release button, the STA8 bomb will be dropped, then I switch to PP2 and see that it is also associated with STA8, so I can't drop it. To do this, I will have to associate PP2 to STA2 (or another that has a bomb). Nothing to do with a multiple bombardment in a single pass!!! I look forward to an improvement on this incredible F-18 weapon.

I've tried them all, but with "n" JADAM you just can't get "n" targets in a single pass. As I read above, although I have meticulously followed the instructions on Youtube (and also on this forum), in the programming of the bomb release there is no way to permanently associate the single station (STAx) with the single program (PPy). Therefore, when you reach the release point (IN RNG), selecting, for example, PP1 you discover that it is associated with the last programmed STA (STA8, for example), rather than to STA1. So, if I selected PP1 and push the release button, the STA8 bomb will be dropped, then I switch to PP2 and see that it is also associated with STA8, so I can't drop it. To do this, I will have to associate PP2 to STA2 (or another that has a bomb). Nothing to do with a multiple bombardment in a single pass!!! I look forward to an improvement on this incredible F-18 weapon.

As of now, PPx is completely independent of JDAM y station and not as per Wags' video instructions. Just select the PP you want for each target before you pickle. No multiples. It's as simple as that for now. How it's supposed to be or going to be is a mystery until further ED updates firm up their exact design intent.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4

The video confirms what I wrote above: with 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. JDAM you cannot hit 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. targets in a single pass. In the video, moreover, is used the TOO mode which would be practical only if the map of the editor was suitable for providing the decimals of the second of degree. In fact with this mode you can create waypoints directly on the targets and associate them to the release points of the JDAM. Currently this way does not guarantee the necessary accuracy for bombs because the map does not provide the necessary type of coordinates.

The video confirms what I wrote above: with 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. JDAM you cannot hit 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. targets in a single pass. In the video, moreover, is used the TOO mode which would be practical only if the map of the editor was suitable for providing the decimals of the second of degree. In fact with this mode you can create waypoints directly on the targets and associate them to the release points of the JDAM. Currently this way does not guarantee the necessary accuracy for bombs because the map does not provide the necessary type of coordinates.

In TOO you don't need (to enter) coordinates. As long as the waypoint in the ME map is placed directly on the target (zoom in to check). Also, ensure the waypoint altitude is ground/target level and not of the default fly-over height. Remember after bomb release to change to the next target waypoint and press weapon designate on the HSI. It's accurate (in principle) as far as I can tell, if I release the JDAM properly at about 18000+ ft.

I wouldn't say the ME map has no accuracy because pressing Left Alt-Y will give you MGRS and DDMM.MMM coordinate formats which are accurate enough for conversion to DDMMSS.SS used in the PP mode.

• 2 weeks later...
Correct, selecting a station will not select a designated profile, which it should.

It should but it looks like from the thread 'JDAM Update #1' (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=240511&page=4) which has been closed, it won't be modeled as such because that would contravene 'Rule 1.16'. So the PP procedure as it currently stands will not change. At least that's how I understand it.

Maybe a silly question but here goes anyway.

Since the JDAM is so accurate and can be used in all weather conditions. Why not use it all the time? Is there a need for the other bombs besides cluster bombs?

Buzz

Since the JDAM is so accurate and can be used in all weather conditions. Why not use it all the time? Is there a need for the other bombs besides cluster bombs?

JDAM (pre-LJDAM) cant track a moving target, that's where LGBs are useful.

JDAM (pre-LJDAM) cant track a moving target, that's where LGBs are useful.

The current GBU-12's can't hit a moving target either. Tracking is too bad.

Only if the moving target is moving slowly. Not a truck or armored vehicle moving at full speed sadly.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

I would asume the reason is money.

a standard freefall mk82 bomb cost about 2100usd to build

a guided bomb such as jdam or a laser guided bomb cost 25.000usd each.

A GBU-15 ( tv or ir guided ) 274.354usd each.

In my humble oppinion the price being paid for the jdam and laser guided kit that are mounted on ordinary "iron bombs"

are totaly overprised and the military arround the world should really grab their balls and get som serious discount.

The development costs did cost something but lets face it the materials to produce the above kits is less than 1000usd pr bomb.. so when they ask example 25.000 pr bomb its robbery at daylight in my humble oppinion.

The above info might not be precise but you get the idea.. for more info try reading this

https://www.quora.com/How-much-more-does-a-guided-bomb-cost-than-a-dumb-bomb

Edited by delevero

JDAM also depends on GPS availability...

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

The development costs did cost something but lets face it the materials to produce the above kits is less than 1000usd pr bomb..

Ehm, no. Aerospace grade components are expensive, usually several orders of magnitude more than their consumer grade counterparts. The GPS receiver alone probably costs more than your estimate, and the same goes for the three-axis ring laser gyro. These aren't $5 parts from AliExpress.

And then you can start factoring in things like labor costs (manufacture, testing, logistics) etc etc. By all means, it's a seller's market, and Boeing are most likely making good money on the JDAM kits (otherwise they wouldn't be making them), but I the profit margins are nowhere near what you are suggesting.

JDAMs can't attack moving targets, are susceptible to GPS jamming and their accuracy depends on the accuracy/reliability of the targeting system or intel, for the target's coordinates.

LGBs are able to attack moving targets, can't be jammed and as long as the laser remains on the target (and the bomb tracks it), it'll hit it. All in all, LBGs are more versatile, if the situation permits their employment.

Their main disadvantages are that they are useless during certain weather conditions (like you mentioned) or if the enemy employs measures that can distort a laser beam, such as smoke with metallic filaments. They also are not fire and forget and require more workload from the pilot, since he has to not only locate and track the target, but also support the bomb until impact.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

JDAMs can't attack moving targets, are susceptible to GPS jamming and their accuracy depends on the accuracy/reliability of the targeting system or intel, for the target's coordinates.

LGBs are able to attack moving targets, can't be jammed and as long as the laser remains on the target (and the bomb tracks it), it'll hit it. All in all, LBGs are more versatile, if the situation permits their employment.

Their main disadvantages are that they are useless during certain weather conditions (like you mentioned) or if the enemy employs measures that can distort a laser beam, such as smoke with metallic filaments. They also are not fire and forget and require more workload from the pilot, since he has to not only locate and track the target, but also support the bomb until impact.

Does all this apply to DCS or real life? Or both?

Buzz

If you leave out the part with GPS jamming or laser countermeasures which both are not modelled in DCS, yes the rest applies to DCS as well as RL.

I would argue though that there are scenarios where actually it is the JDAM which is more versatile than an LGB. You cannot program any sort of terminal guidance parameters for an LGB. If there is a stationary target which you want the bomb to impact on a certain heading (which might be different than you delivery heading), in a defined angle and with a defined velocity, that is something only a JDAM can do. This however really applies to RL only (at the moment) since a) terminal guidance for JDAM is not implemented yet and b) even when it is, I hardly can think of a mission in DCS where you would absolutely need this feature.

Edited by Hog_No32