DCS World Open Beta Dedicated Server

7 hours ago, Captain Orso said:

I did, long ago. It doesn't work. The server crashes during startup.

Thanks for suggesting something you've never tried yourself and that doesn't work.

Been running DCS dedicated servers for a few years now without any problems I always start the dcs.exe, do any of your clan mates understand computers better and could give it a try?

anything interesting in your dcs.log ? it might point to what is causing the crash

try adding

dcs.exe  --norender --server

to the shortcut and see if that works, it is what has worked for me

Edited by HC_Official

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Yes, thank you. Your suggestion works, kind of.

It used to be in older windows versions that command line parameters needed to be within their own quote marks. It seems that in Windows 10 the quote marks for parameters is not even allowed anymore. The path and executable must be inclosed in quotes, if the path contains spaces within one or more of the directory names; eg DCS World OpenBeta Server. So this is what is exactly required:

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta Server\bin\DCS.exe" --norender --server

as the link target - YMMV depending on the location of your dedicated server installation.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

yeah you have always had to quote paths with spaces in them, one of the reasons I never create paths with spaces in them,

when you install stuff, you can select a path without spaces to avoid such issues

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Doing a fresh install of the dedi server, it's been a couple of years so I've forgotten just about everything - how do you tell it where your client install is so it can pull data files? it's trying to download 123GB, which I'd rather it didn't...

Could I just link my client install as <server install>/_downloads perhaps? ( Edit: no, terrible idea, it'd delete the client install - will try making a copy though )

Edit 2: copying whole client into dedi server location & renaming to _downloads worked perfectly, if you ignore it's complaining about extra files.

Edited by Richard Dastardly

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

• 2 months later...

Running into this recent weirdness (if any one else has run into this) Only until yesterday I'm geting auth failed notices that I only actually saw after removing the -norender flag for my servers. Not sure why it took about a month for this message to finally pop up and give me issues, but apparently I need licenses for all of these (which were done away with since 2.5?) ... 

Couldn't figure out why my servers werent showing up, but this apparently was the issue... Tried reinstalling the server client and redownloading all assets to no avail, anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Screenshot 2021-12-28 120614.jpg

**EDIT** So, re-enabling the -norender flag avoids this message, however my servers do in fact show up in my dcs.com /personal server list - ports are good and are visible (windows firewall setters are OK) to the outside world, however the server isn't in the main list in game, and I can't connect to it locally "server is offline" shows. The docs in the open beta server client say it checks for updates, but it appears that this is a DCS version issue? Trying to figure out why my server client is apparently not updating if that's the case... Anyone run into this?

**EDIT** The server does indicate the right version ... so now I'm pretty baffled as to why they're suddenly not showing up at all

Edited by phrozen
new edit

After having crashes a few seconds afert launching the server, I changed command line to:

dcs.exe  --norender --server

This helped me. Also, the nasty "Authorization failed" messages for some maps disappeared.

• Like 1

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

So, the last year my dedicated Server worked perfectly and i could host a server for me and my friends. Since 3 months nobody can find my Server anymore. canyouseeme.org see all ports open and i didn´t change anything.

Any advise?

did you add the ports in the firewall of the PC (Inbound and outbound TCP/UDP) and does your router have the same for port forwarding

Marvin "Cactus" Palmer

DCS:World 2.5(ob)

Gigabyte Z390 Designare i7-9700K (4.6GHz), 32Gb RAM (3600MHz), GTX2070, 40" 1080p Monitor, TM Warthog, Saitek Rudder pedals,TM Cougar MFD, and an ipad.

4 hours ago, MPalmer said:

did you add the ports in the firewall of the PC (Inbound and outbound TCP/UDP) and does your router have the same for port forwarding

Yes of course.  it has actually worked out great for the last year - it hasn't been working since one or two updates anymore 😕

I have a private server in my house and it's working fine...so question is....what changed network wise on your end??

I would presume you are on 2 separate systems, or on the same PC?...if you'd like I be have to help...just DM me a good time to chat on discord (ED's if there is no other choices)

I can at least walk through your process and see whats what I could be helpful with...

Initially my response would be,, do a Network Reset, Router Factory Defaults...and start over...seems you've had more down time with it then you'd like

Marvin "Cactus" Palmer

Gigabyte Z390 Designare i7-9700K (4.6GHz), 32Gb RAM (3600MHz), GTX2070, 40" 1080p Monitor, TM Warthog, Saitek Rudder pedals,TM Cougar MFD, and an ipad.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:13 AM, CYPHER11 said:

Yes of course.  it has actually worked out great for the last year - it hasn't been working since one or two updates anymore 😕

Did you get this resolved

Marvin "Cactus" Palmer

On 4/24/2019 at 4:57 PM, Coxy_99 said:

55027.3MBytes lol, Im a complete noob at this stuff but will give it ago from a noobie perspective and let you know how easy or hard it was :thumbup:

Yeah it worked now actually - but I don’t know why - I deleted all the exceptions in my firewall and opened the ports again that are needed for DCS - now it works actually 😕 you also need an ipv4 from your provider to get it work as soon as I know - if you only have a basic version at your provider you will get an ipv6 - unfortunately DCS does not work with ipv6 (yet - hope they will fix that in the near future :D)

• Like 1

HI team - I am running into the problem that the server doesnt see the folder with the missions, and I cannot add them via the GUI. 
Is there an option to check where the server is searching for the missions folder ? 
( User/savedgames/dcsserver/missions is where I have it currently) 

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 5:27 PM, HC_Official said:

the -w

switch controls which top level folder to use

what commandline options are you using ?

Hi.

I'm trying to open a second Dedicated Server.

How to use -w (or --w ???) command line?

Do I have/how to add the path?

Any special formatting/characters?

Thanks!

Edit:

I Already have a second Server folder in Saved Games.

... and I do not have an autoexec.cfg file in any Server folder.

Edit 2:

I found the answer!!!

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/200140-dedicated-servers-quickstart/#comments

Edited by Shrimp
Typo & expanded info
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Any reason why the external free camera doesnt work in dedicated, but when I run the mission from ME it works?  All other external views work, just not CTRL-F11.

Ive checked the serversettings.lua but cant find an obvious reason

• 4 weeks later...

Please, ED, since available theaters are becoming a considerable number and therefore dedicated server now requires quite a large storage, make server admins choose which specific theaters they want to install on their server, without forcing to install all the theaters at once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/9/2022 at 9:03 AM, Saruman said:

Please, ED, since available theaters are becoming a considerable number and therefore dedicated server now requires quite a large storage, make server admins choose which specific theaters they want to install on their server, without forcing to install all the theaters at once.

This a really valid request with 3 more maps coming I really cant free up enough space for these 3 at around 40-60gigs each, id like to be able to get rid of right now for instance NTTR, Marianas, PG as we just don't host mission on them any more, any optional GUI for downloading or uninstalling these would help.

• Like 1

Or, even better, let server admins choose on which drives to install which terrains?

Edited by D4n
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 1:50 PM, D4n said:

Or, even better, let server admins choose on which drives to install which terrains?

Split terrains across multiple drive it's not really recommend options to be honest, I don't see any benefits to have this feature, you only risk to spread files across disk and don't even know what is going on with that files and disk.

Definitely there is the needing to select which terrain has to be installed with server for the people that has hosted server with rent cost growing up significantly when add fast storage to virtual or dedicated server.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have been running the OB dedicated server on a spare computer I have in another room but I have been having an issue. I ran out of space and decided to expand by adding an additional drive and installing the dedicated server onto that drive. When I hop into the WebGUI to control the server I am unable to load any missions onto it. It appears to connect OK but when I click the "+" icon to add a mission the file browser that normally appears does not. Or more specifically the window pops up but there are no icons allowing me to navigate and search for the files on that computer.

I have ensured that both of the 10308 and the 8088 ports are forwarding to the proper IP address and that that computer has a dedicated IP from the router. I haven't changed any Windows firewall settings since it was last working. Is the issue perhaps that I have my Saved Games folder on my C:/ drive but the server is installed on the D:/ drive?

On 11/3/2022 at 6:44 PM, Sabre05 said:

Hello, I have been running the OB dedicated server on a spare computer I have in another room but I have been having an issue. I ran out of space and decided to expand by adding an additional drive and installing the dedicated server onto that drive. When I hop into the WebGUI to control the server I am unable to load any missions onto it. It appears to connect OK but when I click the "+" icon to add a mission the file browser that normally appears does not. Or more specifically the window pops up but there are no icons allowing me to navigate and search for the files on that computer.

I have ensured that both of the 10308 and the 8088 ports are forwarding to the proper IP address and that that computer has a dedicated IP from the router. I haven't changed any Windows firewall settings since it was last working. Is the issue perhaps that I have my Saved Games folder on my C:/ drive but the server is installed on the D:/ drive?

Server can be installed anywhere, it should not be a problem.
Just make sure you still have under C:\users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Missions\ some valid .miz files if missions folder doesn't exist just create that, and put your file over there.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

16 hours ago, Maverick87Shaka said:

Server can be installed anywhere, it should not be a problem.
Just make sure you still have under C:\users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Missions\ some valid .miz files if missions folder doesn't exist just create that, and put your file over there.

As you can see below there isn't even an option I can see to click to search for any .miz files.

I also double checked the path to the Saved Games folder and it is correct.
I'm not sure what the deal is.

8f65180c36b8c118a2173db6d15c0af6.png

4 hours ago, Sabre05 said:

As you can see below there isn't even an option I can see to click to search for any .miz files.

I also double checked the path to the Saved Games folder and it is correct.
I'm not sure what the deal is.

8f65180c36b8c118a2173db6d15c0af6.png

This is really strange, can you just add your DCS.log of the server just to understand if the server is actually started or it's going in "hang" status at some point?