F/A-18 Jettison Control STL Files

Blue73

Anytime, happy to help. :thumbup::thumbup:

Printed the case and internals at .2mm layer height and the knob and button at .1mm

Still need to paint the button, but I think it turned out pretty well, certainly looks the part on my test panel box. All hooked up through dcs-bios and works perfectly.

Thanks for sharing your work Blue, really appreciated.

I'll try that primer, thanks for the link!

I've reprinted in red abs, I'm going to see what vapour smoothing can do.

If your not planning on painting that much overall, maybe the old rattle can is a better option as you can get some pretty good ones now in the rustoleom range thats great for painting PLA / ABS

If you do want the full kit, I personally am a Bigger fan of gravity fed model, The gravity dual action is similar to the ebay model I got and I find it works a treat hooked up to

the compressor.,

In the end I went for a small compressor from supercheap as I figured that way I can use for other things, and I can paint in silence so long as I fill with air first for at least 10 minutes which lets me pump out a few mini's in that time.

With airbursh still gonna need a primer and Rustoleum 2x is perfect for this https://www.bunnings.com.au/rust-oleum-340g-ultra-cover-2x-spray-paint-grey-primer_p1580683

Has anyone in the US sourced the correct rotary switch and the push button yet? I am just not having much luck on any of these as I normally get most of my stuff off of amazon.

I greatly appreciate any help to source those parts. Thank you in advance!

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

I have spares and thought I could send them to you, but cheapest postage starts at A$20 for $8 worth of switch and rotary.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

I sent a push button to a member in Europe, $23 postage for a $4 switch...

Mouser has the rotary selector it's just the push button. If I can find one on Mouser that is close I can redesign to suit.

Edited by Blue73

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

First of all, this design is AWESOME! Thanks blue73 for creating it...I'm making some updates to my Hornet pit and plan to incorporate it.

I did have a couple of tweaks that I wanted to share.

First, as many have noted the pushbutton is difficult / expensive to source outside of Australia, so I created an adapter that will work with this button:

I got it from Newark electronics but there seem to be a lot with the same dimensions on Amazon. You just glue adapter on top of the button plunger, and then into the Jett button in blue73's design.

Second, I happened to have these rotary switches that I picked up from Amazon:

They fit the original frame, but have 6mm splined shafts instead of D-shafts. So I tweaked the multiselector gear to accommodate the splined shaft.

STLs and Fusion360 files for the both the pushbutton adapter and splined shaft version of the multiselector gear in the attached zip file.

Thanks folks!

Jettison knob mods.zip

ColdFront_WI

Home-built Hornet pit, detailed plans available on GitHub

Virpil WarBRD base, TM Hornet/Warthog grip, TM Warthog Throttle, Logitech G Pro rudder pedals

MSI MPG Z390M, i9-9900k @ 5.0GHz with Noctua NH-D15, RTX 2080ti FE, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, HP Reverb

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cheers RightStuff, happy to share! If you do see my Paypal address appear you'll know my employment status has changed. :noexpression:

Yes an 8pos would improve the design as the selector gear would be larger. Locally there were no 45deg rotary's available so I geared it down to accommodate a 30deg rotary. If there's demand for it I can redesign for a 45.

I've used 45's on my INS and RADAR controls. Waiting for the pull action on the RADAR knob to be DCS-BIOS controllable though.

cheers

John

Blue73, this is a real gift! does this reply count as demand enough? I'm holding off butchering my 8 pos 45 degree to incorporate a push button. Thanks for all these beautiful stl's, a i:1 gear would be the icing on the cake:)

Awesome. Gotta see about printing this up.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Blue73, this is a real gift! does this reply count as demand enough? I'm holding off butchering my 8 pos 45 degree to incorporate a push button. Thanks for all these beautiful stl's, a i:1 gear would be the icing on the cake:)

My pleasure Barny :thumbup: I'll also redesign for a more common push button.

• 4 weeks later...

Can you make those available as .dxf or .xtp/.step? Creo wont even show the files as openable.

Thanks!

Ebein

Commander VFA-106 Gladiators

Modules : all but I-16.

Rig: Ryzen 2700x, 32gig 3200 ddr4 ram, Aorus 2080 TI, 512gb + 1tb SSD + 2x5TB raid HD

Controls: Vive sometimes TrackIR, Virpil AlphaR + Virpil Throttle, MFG crosswind pedals, Cougar MFDs, A-10 UFC

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

@Blue73

Thank you for your excellent work!
I've rebuild the button to get it in two colors:
Fit's into your frame, same size but three parts (upper side is slightly concave)
Print with red and white filament and finally superglue it.
Print with 100% infill and "tree"-support to get best results.
Enjoy.

jettselbuttonrev1a.jpg

Here's the 3MF-file (more compatible than STL)
JettButtonRev1a.3mf

@Blue73 Be free to add it to your model on thingverse.

Edited by Purzel
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/10/2021 at 2:31 PM, Purzel said:

@Blue73

Thank you for your excellent work!
I've rebuild the button to get it in two colors:
Fit's into your frame, same size but three parts (upper side is slightly concave)
Print with red and white filament and finally superglue it.
Print with 100% infill and "tree"-support to get best results.
Enjoy.

jettselbuttonrev1a.jpg

Here's the 3MF-file (more compatible than STL)
JettButtonRev1a.3mf

@Blue73 Be free to add it to your model on thingverse.

This is showing up gigantic and can't seem to scale it down enough in Cura.  

EDIT: Must have been Cura. Turned off auto-scale and it came out fine. First print was kinda a fail though. Can't fit the "sleeve" over the inside button and the top part won't fit over the letters. 

Edited by Uxi

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 1 year later...

@Blue73 this is epic and great work! 

one really simple question for a noob, in your instructions it says "Rotary Switch 12 Pos, set to 5 pos". Does this mean A) you only use 5 positions in a 12 position rotary, or does it mean you B) you need to change how a 12 position works to only have 5 positions? 

many thanks!