Flat Spin Recovery for HOTAS with One Throttle Controls

Shahriar0

Hi,

From what I can see, there is no keyboard command to move an engine to idle without cutting it off first, therefore spin recovery for HOTAS with one throttle control is very difficult, and possibly impossible at low altitudes. There is obviously the cutting-off-the-engine option (which returns the throttle to idle position), but trying to crank and restart an engine in flat spin at mid to low altitude in the middle of a dog fight is not practical. I am wondering if there is anything else that could be done that smart folks have already figured out. Perhaps a new keyboard command to just move a throttle to idle would do.

Interestingly, after a year of flying in the trusty F-5, I never once had to move a throttle but it seems in F-14 getting into flat spin is a fact of life, hence this question!

Thanks,

Shahriar

Edited by Shahriar0

Hi,

From what I can see, there is no keyboard command to move an engine to idle without cutting it off first, therefore spin recovery for HOTAS with one throttle control is very difficult, and possibly impossible at low altitudes. There is obviously the cutting-off-the-engine option (which returns the throttle to idle position), but trying to crank and restart an engine in flat spin at mid to low altitude in the middle of a dog fight is not practical. I am wondering if there is anything else that could be done that smart folks have already figured out. Perhaps a new keyboard command to just move a throttle to idle would do.

Interestingly, after a year of flying in the trusty F-5, I never once had to move a throttle but it seems in F-14 getting into flat spin is a fact of life, hence this question!

Thanks,

Shahriar

Well the good news is that flat spins should not be a fact of life for dogfighting in the F-14. A flat spin in the F-14B generally requires the pilot to input a deliberate "pro-spin" control. For >95% of DCS F-14 players, this is caused by not being aware of high AOA roll reversal.

At AOAs greater than 17-18 units, the aircraft will roll opposite of the stick input - meaning left stick results in roll to the right and building up AOA due to sidelslip. You need to keep the stick centered and only roll using the rudder in this AOA range. Many players think that the aircraft is departing when it rolls opposite of commanded roll, but it is actually the pilot forcing the spin with an improper control input. The player then compensates by adding more stick to try and force the roll towards commanded and then holds that lateral stick, eventually leading to a spin.

When the aircraft rolls opposite of your commanded stick input, just center the stick and things will stop.

If you don't have rudder pedals, just lower the nose to 15 units or below to roll with the stick.

If you make these changes to your technique then your spins will likely go away. :)

-Nick

Thanks Nick for commenting. Good feedback.

I do realize that I am fairly new to F-14 and still learning it (at a slow pace.) Overtime, I'll get better for sure and experience less flat spins. Meanwhile, I want to make sure I can "practice" recovery just like any other maneuver (used to be a GA pilot and I like to practice procedures and maneuvers, etc.) as well as be able to recover successfully if need be.

I am not shy with rudder input (have the pedals) but still managed to induce spin when I was not expecting it - retarding the throttles while in a moderate AOA and slight turn (can't remember the position of my stick). I'll try to recreate the scenario so I know what to avoid now that I realize the choice is not getting into a spin in the first place than recovering from it.

Shahriar

Edited by Shahriar0

You dont really need seperate throttle control since the standard procedure for spin recovery requires both throttles to be put in idle. Differential thrust doesnt really help while throttling back the wrong engine accidentially will get you into serious trouble. Therefore, you set both throttles to idle when departure from controlled flight is indicated

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Thanks,

Shahriar

"Consistent F-14 flat-spin recovery procedures have not been demonstrated; therefore, once the aircraft is confirmed to be in a flat spin, the flightcrew should jettison the canopy and eject. This decision should not be delayed once the flat spin is recognized."

NATOPS FLIGHT MANUAL page 11-20

:smilewink:

you have to be very hamfisted to put the cat into a flat spin, and you can just idle the throttles and still escape it just takes a bit longer

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr