Status of CH in Win10?

malibu43

I knew a while back there were issues with CH Control Manager and Windows 10, but I recently did a quick google search and thought I saw that they were fixed. So I went ahead and upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10.

However, in my initial test, I was having the issue with CH Control Manager where I could not select Mapped or Direct Mode, and even without using CH Control Manager, games were not detecting my hardware. I did some more thorough googling this time and realized the issues seem to have come and gone over the last couple of years, but I couldn't tell what the "current" status is...

I found that my fresh Win10 install had a backlog of updates, so those are downloading and installing now. Hopefully that fixes the issue.

However, I wanted to ask here and find out if CH performance in Win10 has reached a stable point (if it's working at all) or if it's still a crap shoot, in which case I guess I have no choice but to roll back to Win8.1 while it's still allowed (30 days).

Input appreciated.

Edited by malibu43

My CH works fine in Win 10 (1801) . However , i use the bindings in the DCS controls . The only thing i use CH Control Manager for is calibration .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Thanks for the responses.

@Griffin - I read that early on, but didn't see any "power management" options, so I couldn't get it to work.

I was over Win10 last night and decided I would go back to Win8. I knew there was an option under recovery to do so, and it was supposed to stay active for 30 days. So I went to switch back to 8.1 and WINDOWS TELLS ME I CAN'T BECAUSE IT REMOVED THE FILES NEEDED TO SO!!!! WTF!!!! AAAHHHHGGGGGG!!! I guess when I allowed Win10 to apply updates (thinking they may be needed to get my software to work), it decided that meant I liked it and could delete the recovery files.

I was seriously bummed. I could not get CH hardware or software to work in Win10. Decided I would bite the bullet and do a factory reset back to Win8.1. A lengthy process, but at least I knew it would work. I try that option and it asks for my original Windows installation disk, which my laptop didn't come with. So that's not an option.

I was at the point where I figured I may have to quit flight simming for while. Then I started playing around with vJoy and Joystick Gremmlin. After some fumbling around I sort of got it to work and could see my joysticks in games. But, when I was in there, I also noticed that my Stick, Throttle, and Pedals were showing up as input choices by name (instead of vJoy devices). So I deleted vJoy and Joystick Gremmlin and my input devices were still there!

At this point I went into Device Manager and found the devices as well as the power management options!!! Went through the steps recommended by Eclipse 4349, and then tried using CH Control Manager. Everything worked! I can open CH Control Manager at any time, activate/deactivate profiles, unplug the hardware then plug it back it in, and everything seems to work!

What I think finally fixed it was that I completely uninstalled CH Control Manager, then also uninstalled the hardware and deleted the drivers from Device Manager. Then reattached the hardware, let windows recognize it, then reinstalled the CH Software. I think somewhere in there there was another update and restart from Win10. It wasn't until some point in that sequence that the power management option showed up, and it took me a while to go back in and see that it was there.

TLDR: Win10 migration is dangerous, but I fixed my issues by completely uninstalling hardware and drivers and doing a fresh install, and then following the link from Griffin.

... vJoy and Joystick Gremmlin. After some fumbling around I sort of got it to work and could see my joysticks in games. But, when I was in there, I also noticed that my Stick, Throttle, and Pedals were showing up as input choices by name (instead of vJoy devices). So I deleted vJoy and Joystick Gremmlin and my input devices were still there!

This happen because you don't hidden the controllers after create a new "virtual" in J. Gremlin.

In Manager this is done automatically, in J.Gremlin is need do manually.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i've encountered some issues with my CH Combatstick, it's hard to describe it in english for me, but it's like a "shaking" stick. When i move the stick straight in a direction (not quickly most of the time), the sensors detect some shaking movement ...

And sometime, when i flight in a straight line, well trimmed, the sensors detect a left rolling input but the stick is centered.

A video of the CH Control Manager:

AMD FX-8350 / Sapphire r9-290 trix OC / Asus CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z / 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz CL9 /SanDisk Extreme II 240GB /CH 568 Combatstick /Thrustmaster TWCS / Win10 pro 64

Well i've encountered some issues with my CH Combatstick, it's hard to describe it in english for me, but it's like a "shaking" stick. When i move the stick straight in a direction (not quickly most of the time), the sensors detect some shaking movement ...

And sometime, when i flight in a straight line, well trimmed, the sensors detect a left rolling input but the stick is centered.

A video of the CH Control Manager:

If you are comfortable doing so , you may wish to spray some contact cleaner into the potentiometers . The shaking sounds like it may be dust . Try adding a little deadzone in the axis tune settings of dcs controls if that does not cure the roll trimming as well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 4 months later...

I spoke to CH this week. I asked 'what's going on with Control Manager' and was asked, 'Gee, what do you mean'. I said 'you know, the mode buttons are grayed out and when you load a map nothing works'. And he said, 'Oh, yeah'.

So that was disgusting. Apparently they're pretending there's no problem. But they know it's broken and have no plan to fix it. I asked if they had told Microsoft that the recent Win10 update broke their software and was told 'I don't know'. I asked three times.... and they're not really interested. I was told 'we hope maybe it will just be fixed in a future update'. You know... like magic.

They said 'Control Manager' is optional software and they will not fix it. Also was told they might leave the consumer market in a few years.

It's frustrating. I've been a CH user for 25 years and really like their gear.

Status of CH in Win10

Jodet. Thanks for sharing your recent experience with CH about the future of the CH products and the current difficulties with Windows 10.

Like you I have used CH products for many years and, until the problem with my CH Pro Throttle in DCS with Windows 10, was very happy with the quality and ease of us of the CH products.

Because of the ongoing problem with my CH Pro Throttle in DCS, and my assumption that CH had no intention of supporting their products, last week I ordered a VIRPIL Throttle for use with DCS.

Your post has confirmed I have not wasted my money.

Fortunately the CH Pro Throttle still works with X Plane 11 and the Condor Soaring software so the CH Throttle still has some use for the near future.

Cheers

No difficulties whatsoever and no need to use the CH control manager,

other than calibrate the CH Flight stick, Hotas Throttle and pedals.

You can set all the curves and sensitivities and deadzones inside DCS,

and assign any command.

I really don't understand what you all are talking about.....

All my CH products work PERFECTLY.

Windows 10 home 1903.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

I loved the CH Control Manager. Its the best piece of software for HOTAS.

But you described perfectly the attitude which runs CH for years now. Complete apathy.

They do not care. Consumer markets runs automatically. Nobody cares. No changes. They will be on the market until someone retire or some machinery breaks.

I am still using the Pro Throttle but upgraded with a Hall sensor without issues. CH Manager only used for calibration purposes.

Sometimes W10 does not handle very well the USBs when you connect the throttle when the PC is ON. or when I am low on battery (Laptop)

But that's all.

:megalol:

• 4 weeks later...

I finally dumped Control Manager, just too many issues and the ONLY blue screen I ever got in Win10 (twice!) was caused by CHDriver01.sys (or similar). I program using the game interfaces, calibrate in Win10, all is well...

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

What are you guys doing?

I repeat:

You can set all the curves and sensitivities and deadzones inside DCS,

and assign any command.

I really don't understand what you all are talking about.....

All my CH products work PERFECTLY.

Windows 10 home 1903.

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Not doing anything special, it was working fine until recently, then I started have periodic problems with CH Control Manager not wanting to "connect" and control my joy and throttle. Didn't happen every time, but when it did I'd have to restart the computer a number of times to get it working. I had been thinking of upgrading to a Thrustmaster Warthog and this pushed me over the edge.

You don't need it for calibration either, you can easily calibrate each device in Win10. Control Panel > Devices and Printers>CH Fightersick (or Throttle or pedals)>Right Click, select game controller settings, select which you want to calibrate, select properties, Test Tab to see current actions/axis control, Settings tab to calibrate.

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

You don't need it for calibration either, you can easily calibrate each device in Win10. Control Panel > Devices and Printers>CH Fightersick (or Throttle or pedals)>Right Click, select game controller settings, select which you want to calibrate, select properties, Test Tab to see current actions/axis control, Settings tab to calibrate.

Whatever... NO DIFFICULTIES AT ALL WITH WIN 10 AND CH PRODUCTS. PERIOD.

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Whatever... NO DIFFICULTIES AT ALL WITH WIN 10 AND CH PRODUCTS. PERIOD.

Maybe you should use a larger font.. and the problem is not with the CH Hardware, it is with the old Control Manager software.