AI wingman fuel management is awful

key_stroked

I ran the Persian Gulf Reactor Strike mission, and tried to minimize how much fuel I and my wingman would use to get to the target.

Despite a quick climb above 30,000, cutting the throttle, and even ordering my wingman to jettison all bombs, he still ejected because his plane ran out of fuel on the way back while my plane still had at least 6,000 lbs left.

A 6,000 lb difference when my wingman was never more then 5 miles from me up until he punched out is huge.

Why are AI so inefficient with the throttle? It really detracts from the mission when I have to fly the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the way back alone without help.

Anything you can do, Heatblur?

I use Restrict Afterburner on in the mission editor, and I throttle down until my wingmen are in formation. It helps some, but it's not ideal. And do we get into air combat they go full burner as well to close disrqnce. The AI overall needs a overhaul from ED, but do you think they reply to these issues? At least not what I've seen.

I use Restrict Afterburner on in the mission editor, and I throttle down until my wingmen are in formation. It helps some, but it's not ideal. And do we get into air combat they go full burner as well to close disrqnce. The AI overall needs a overhaul from ED, but do you think they reply to these issues? At least not what I've seen.

How much does Restrict Afterburner help? If it saves them a couple thousands pounds of fuel, then that would still be pretty significant.

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D / Rhino

That's DCS AI wingmen since forever. Nothing HB can fix.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Treat them like cars with no fuel gauge - and tankers like bathrooms. Translation: Always figure they're about to run out of gas, and never - ever - pass up a chance to hit the tanker (or at least send them to do so.)

Another possibility: Since your wingman flamed out when you had 6,000lbs, figure on sending them to the tanker when you have 10,000lbs? 4,000 should be enough (HA!).

Is there anyway to get them to launch Phoenixes while still staying in formation with you? I'd think that might work as a work around for their problem of going charging off in full AB.

Edited by KiraTheCat

We are aware of the issue, but unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it on our side.

We will however continue to work with our partners at ED to improve the AI over time. ED is aware of the issues with AI as well. However it would be up to them to comment on what plans they have for the AI the future, as so many things improved over the years, I am most certain the AI will imrpove at some point as well.

Personally, whenever I hear the AI say "bingo fuel" I send them RTB; I prefer that over them bailing out.

I would second the option for individual aircraft unlimited fuel options within a flight, which would already solve a big portion of the AI.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/