F-14B : OPERATION CAGE THE BEAR

kaba

Great job with this one. Loved it from the beginning to the end. You should be making campaigns for money, mate. Seriously :thumbup:

GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X | i5 9600k @4.7 GHz | Noctua NH-U14S | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti @OCed | Patriot 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD | Win10 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + WarBRD | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | 1440p AOC Q2790PQU

Hey Kaba,

after last patch, I'm finally able to play the cold start version of the campaign. Really nice job, thank you for your work!

Gotta ask: any plan on updating the cold start version to 1.4?

Played through the hot start version. Excellent campaign Kaba! Thank you!

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Thanks Kaba for these missions I used number 5 as the basis for my RIO training as the initial geometry is such a pain.

in case you are interested.

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Is version 1.4 also available with Cold Start?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hey, thanks for the messages. I'm out of the country for a while so can't update anything right now. I'm keen to update the original hot start version for a couple of minor things, then would like to update the cold start version and include with the download.

One thing that would really help me here - could you please let me know which bugs persist in the cold start version in the current openBeta?

Thanks

Hey, thanks for the messages. I'm out of the country for a while so can't update anything right now. I'm keen to update the original hot start version for a couple of minor things, then would like to update the cold start version and include with the download.

That's great news, Kaba, thank you very much, it'll be great to have the cold start up to date and shipping with the original campaign.

One thing that would really help me here - could you please let me know which bugs persist in the cold start version in the current openBeta?

Thanks[/Quote]

Right now, I'm playing mission 3 and haven't found bugs that can be connected to mission design (but when I'm flying them, I'm mostly focused on what I'm doing, so I wouldn't notice a bug that doesn't directly affect what I'm doing), only bugs due to DCS/Tomcat update, like not being able to align INS (I had to set carrier speed to zero to be able to do it), or the altimeter hand not moving.

Ok, since I don't have all the spare time I had once, I gotta ask: how did you guys get out alive and successful of mission 3, OCA west?

I'm playing the cold start version and most of the time, I end up without fuel, either on the deck trying to get away from the MiGs and at least to the coast line, or mixed up with them near Maykop... I can get to the target, avoid the SA-10 (most of the times the SEAD flight is useful only as decoy...), drop the bombs on target, but getting away and back to the carrier is a real pain...

What did you guys do?

Thanks

Awesome news, looking forward to that! Haven't noticed any bugs in the first two missions that I have played so far.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ok, since I don't have all the spare time I had once, I gotta ask: how did you guys get out alive and successful of mission 3, OCA west?

I'm playing the cold start version and most of the time, I end up without fuel, either on the deck trying to get away from the MiGs and at least to the coast line, or mixed up with them near Maykop... I can get to the target, avoid the SA-10 (most of the times the SEAD flight is useful only as decoy...), drop the bombs on target, but getting away and back to the carrier is a real pain...

What did you guys do?

I'm not sure about the cold start version- are you at WP1 pretty much on time for the push time?

I usually push from WP1 at the push time, but a little slower initially to let the SEAD package get out in front and do their thing. Usually the SAM site goes down for good just a minute or two before I hit the target. I don't loiter; two or three passes over the field (usually two bombs runs and a strafe) and then I'm off and bugging out. The MiGs aren't yet close enough to jump me; I egress low until the coast then climb for the transit back once I'm feet wet. Usually the CAP fighters trolling the coast catch those Foxbats chasing me at when I'm already well out over the water.

Haven't had a fuel problem yet, and I'm not sure why the SEAD package doesn't seem to clear the way for you. As long as I give them the lead time to get there in front of me, I don't have to worry about the SAM site at the target.

What did you guys do?

Hey Gianky - any chance you can provide a track file please? At some point I will need to update the cold start versions, it would be really helpful if I can see what is leading to these issues as they are not occurring in the hot start version.

I'm not sure about the cold start version- are you at WP1 pretty much on time for the push time?

Yeah, I am. Actually, in last attempts I tried to be there sooner, to give the MiGs less time to get me. Even in these cases, though, the SEAD package is always ahead of me.

I usually push from WP1 at the push time, but a little slower initially to let the SEAD package get out in front and do their thing. Usually the SAM site goes down for good just a minute or two before I hit the target. I don't loiter; two or three passes over the field (usually two bombs runs and a strafe) and then I'm off and bugging out. The MiGs aren't yet close enough to jump me; I egress low until the coast then climb for the transit back once I'm feet wet. Usually the CAP fighters trolling the coast catch those Foxbats chasing me at when I'm already well out over the water.

Haven't had a fuel problem yet, and I'm not sure why the SEAD package doesn't seem to clear the way for you. As long as I give them the lead time to get there in front of me, I don't have to worry about the SAM site at the target.

I usually climb at mil to about 10/12k, then throttle a little back, to save fuel, enough to mantain 450ish knots up to waypoint 1. At that point, I dive to mountains height and push to the target at around 550/600 knots. Usually, I emtpy the DTs right around WP1 and drop them as soon as I can.

In my experience, the Hornets are launching the HARMs too far away. In my last attempts I took a peak through F10 and F6 view and most of the missiles actually never got near the SA-10, they fall in Maykop city. The ones that get nearby, got shot down or, rarely, do their job. The Hornets stay around trying to evade SAMs until they're dead, or the launchers run out of missiles.

As a result, many times I had to avoid SAMs until the SA-10 runs out of missiles, then I can get my two/three passes on targets, but that usually means I'll have to deal with the Floggers, at least, and that means lot of AB, and usually running out of fuel.

Hey Gianky - any chance you can provide a track file please? At some point I will need to update the cold start versions, it would be really helpful if I can see what is leading to these issues as they are not occurring in the hot start version.

Hi Kaba, thanks for the interest. Unfortunately, I stopped recording tracks, since they're always corrupted when I watch them. I might still have the Tacview files from the last two attempts, but I have to check as soon as I get home, because I usually delete them too.

And, don't forget, it might simply be that I'm really bad at this! :D

Hi Kaba, thanks for the interest. Unfortunately, I stopped recording tracks, since they're always corrupted when I watch them. I might still have the Tacview files from the last two attempts, but I have to check as soon as I get home, because I usually delete them too.

And, don't forget, it might simply be that I'm really bad at this! :D

Tacview files are even better - it sounds like an issue with the hornets zapping the SA-10 and will need to be adjusted. Please bear with me as it will be a couple weeks before I can start on the cold start version.

Tacview files are even better - it sounds like an issue with the hornets zapping the SA-10 and will need to be adjusted. Please bear with me as it will be a couple weeks before I can start on the cold start version.

Hi there Kaba! Don't worry, I can wait, plenty of other campaigns to play (even it's a shame I can't play this one all at once) and multiplayer. Here's a link to onedrive, where to download a zip file with 5 Tacview tracks.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al5J4ARm4MqNgziXgku7GudBnoXB?e=NGZvF0

As you'll see, I set the carrier group speed to zero, otherwise INS wouldn't align. You can skip the first 15 minutes, it's the time it usually takes to get the aircraft in the air. And, yes, I did mistakes, including blowing myself up with my own bomb (with a midair collision.... is that even possible in RL?)

In every instance, Hornets launch their missiles in a single salvo and always too far away; some times, a single F/A-18 keeps at least one HARM onboard and launches it when it's closer and actively fighting the SA-10.

In the last track, I quit the mission despite having a shot at completing it, because DCS decided to suddenly and inexplicably become a slideshow... really had enough of DCS shenaningans...

A key troubleshooting point would be whether or not he gets the message about the SAM site being taken out, and the SEAD package calling off target.

Yeah, I got those calls, but I usually get them, respectively, when I'm already over the target, bombing it, and when I've already dropped and either trying to get back to the carrier, or mixing it up with the MiGs. Just to make you understand, in last attempt, I got the message from Focus advising to egress target because of the incoming bandits right when I was starting the bombing run

P.S. I reviewed the tracks before posting this message, Hornets always shoot at about 37 miles, 29k feet and 500-ish knots, it should be a doable shot for HARMs... maybe there's something wrong with them?

Also, Kaba, SAMs and MiGs I can manage one way or another, fuel is another matter... maybe you could place the carrier group closer to the coast line, or give us some 10 more minutes before pushing time, so that we can refuel on the way in?

P.P.S. Sorry for the text wall!

As you'll see, I set the carrier group speed to zero, otherwise INS wouldn't align.

Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. There's a bug with weight on wheels detection which sometimes doesn't work properly on a moving carrier and causes the CAINS/WAYPT switch (which is necessary for CV alignment) to flip back. You could still do a manual alignment though.

And, yes, I did mistakes, including blowing myself up with my own bomb (with a midair collision.... is that even possible in RL?)

Sure is:

Tornado3 small.jpg

Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. There's a bug with weight on wheels detection which sometimes doesn't work properly on a moving carrier and causes the CAINS/WAYPT switch (which is necessary for CV alignment) to flip back.

That explains why it worked in the first two missions and not in this one... something that was puzzling me.

You could still do a manual alignment though.

How do you do that? From the backseat? Sorry, that's RIO stuff, I have no idea where to begin from! :P

Sure is:

Well, I feel better already! :) Even though, from what I can see, most of those cases involve experimental orndance and/or faulty release... something that shouldn't be possible in DCS (I'm afraid I pushed the aircraft down to follow the next target and slammed it onto my own bomb.... :D)

Hi ataribaby,

Kaba posted a link to dropbox at page 2 of the thread, post # 17, you can download the cold start version from there.

Keep in mind that it's still in version 1.2 of the campaign, while the hot start is in version 1.4, there are probably still some bugs to squash in the cold start version; Kaba said that he'll update it and bundle the two versions together as soon as he can.

Good hunting!

Loving the campaign so far but I'm getting a ctd when I land and Jester does his callout. Anyone else seeing this? Not sure if it's exclusive to the campaign, will do a test on other missions to see. Seems ok if I quickly switch to external right after landing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

kaba thank You!

i7-6700k (4.7 GHz) // RAM 32 Gb // GTX 1070 // // Windows 10 64-bit LTSB;

VKB Gunfighter Mk2 Pro + VKB MCG Pro // BRD-F1(v.2) // Oculus Rift cv1 // BRD-N(v. №4) // VKB King Cobra MkII Fat // VKB King Cobra MkIII Fat // Saitek X55 // Saitek throttle Quadrant // Microsoft FFB 2 // Saitek X45 // Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog // VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals // VKB RDRXXI-L // TrackIR 5

Well, I finally successfully completed OCA west.

Key was to fly the ingress high to save fuel, I got there at 25k, dropped down to 12 to avoid SAMs launched at us, then striked the airfield with a couple of passes and egressed. I still lost my wingman and all the Hornets, everything went as you see in the tacview files I posted.

Kaba, one more thing you might wanna check is wingman behaviour: despite being ordered to "Engage: mission and rejoin", he never drops his bombs, making him an easy prey for the MiGs on our way back. Don't know if you can fix it (very likely a DCS problem), but I think you wanna know.