Index vs Reverb

p1t1o

lol that review is the top trending one on google for either headset...

I dont think the review is garbage, but once you get one thing wrong...but I bet thats been hashed out to death already.

...mind you, people seem to get the names of various sets wrong quite often, even on this forum!

Interesting that you guys have pre-ordered reverbs. Anyone know if it is available in the UK or not? I cant seem to find where it is being sold/reserved.

Not going for it at this time, just interested. If its not going to be sold here, I can stop stressing about the decision.

Hehehe. Top trending doesn't really mean anything, especially since you can look at the comments sections on any on-line news site and see that the vast majority of users contributing to statistics usually don't bother to read beyond the headline. ;)

Not sure where its available for pre-order right now, except for Amazon. Best Buy has them listed, but they say they're "sold out". HPs site has the shop now button, but when you click on it, it takes you to the Reverb Pro only, and says its sold out. Amazon seems to be the only one allowing you to take a number and wait in line. The other two places don't even give you that option. HP had the "notify me" button, which I clicked on weeks ago and put my e-mail address in. They never e-mailed to notify me of the release, and they no longer seem to have a button that allows you to ask them to notify you when they have them back in stock.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is apparently an issue with some of these new higher end VR headsets. Just can't get them right now.

They really should have been better prepared.

Hopefully Oculus with the Rift S will not suffer the same. We shall know next week.

The 1.37 software being released now is a good sign I guess.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

This happens a lot with avionics equipment too. The manufacturers go to Oshkosh every year, get everybody all jazzed about some new product they're releasing, and then it ends up being weeks before anybody can actually get their hands on one. You'd think in this modern world that they'd have their supply chains a little better sorted out. We'll see what happens. But we remember the long wait for the CV1, and this will probably go the same way. Good thing the CV1 is so well-built. It'll keep us going until the new stuff finally starts getting delivered.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Hehehe. Top trending doesn't really mean anything

lol no I just meant that its a review with mistakes in it and its funny (sorta) that its the one that everyone is reading!

In other fun news, I shifted my Vive pro on eBay as soon as news of the Index landed, and now Im just watching prices drop steadily, and the few sad sacks who are still listing them at near retail price.

That is apparently an issue with some of these new higher end VR headsets. Just can't get them right now.

They really should have been better prepared.

Hopefully Oculus with the Rift S will not suffer the same. We shall know next week.

The 1.37 software being released now is a good sign I guess.

I'm pretty sure that HP doesn't have any Reverb stock, nor have ever had any. Probably still waiting for the first batch. They delayed the launch from April 26th to May 8th and then just decided to list the headset so that its "officially launched" but immediately set as "Out of stock", trying to make it look like they sold out in minutes. But, no one anywhere on the internet has said they are able to get any kind of ship date. If they sold out in minutes from HP, Amazon, and Best Buy, someone on one of the discussion groups would have said they snagged one. HP is trying to pull a bit of a fast one.

...which would be fine if they just came out and said, "hey all, sorry, first shipments have been delayed 3 weeks, and we are working diligently to get them shipped. Will continue to update, etc..."

Instead, they are having all the websites just say" Hey, they are really popular and sold out quickly! Don't know when we will get more!" That is a complete lie.

Considering the reverb is marketted more towards enterprise, I suspect that the "out of stock" notice is just literal. They have no stock, which is true. Its a bit clumsy, but I doubt "we" have been at the receiving end of most of their marketting efforts.

I bet most reverb sales will be in bulk, which I think has informed some of their design decisions.

Considering the reverb is marketted more towards enterprise, I suspect that the "out of stock" notice is just literal. They have no stock, which is true. Its a bit clumsy, but I doubt "we" have been at the receiving end of most of their marketting efforts.

I bet most reverb sales will be in bulk, which I think has informed some of their design decisions.

Some of the design choices are clearly geared toward something like VR cafe's or at least multi user environments. You don't want to dick with IPD every time you switch a user in an environment like that and its one more thing that can break thats not easy to fix. Same thing for the quick detach cables, at some point someone is gonna screw that up, and instead of breaking a 600 dollar headset, you swap out the cable for 20 bucks and are back up, same comment for the detachable headphones. At the same time enterprise users and VR cafe's won't balk at having to run a 2080ti for the required res either.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Ya this was a total sham "paper launch". I bet their production department isn't talking to the marketing department.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Ya this was a total sham "paper launch". I bet their production department isn't talking to the marketing department.

Maybe but it is still better than Pimax you have to wait more than 4 months from first orders and pay for it in advance much before it is produced.

Whatever it is/was is a major screw up to be sure. Who knows if its a production issue or a marketing one though.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

They’ve certainly lost some buyers over this. I was going to get the reverb, but after hearing good reviews on the Rift S, I’ve preordered it. If the reverb comes out in time, I may cancel my preorder, and may even return the Rift if within 30 days, but the clock is ticking!

I think I’m not alone either.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Some interesting information here, recent patents applied for by Valve:

https://tylerlindell.com/news/valve-patents-speculation-about-the-index-hmd/

Interesting speculation for the future -

brainwave sensors in VR HMD as a control mechanism...

displays up to 10,000 x 10,000

But there are other possible, more near-future/present, examples which could be applicable to the Index, like lens systems and SDE mitigating features.

Companies often take out patents that they never intend to act upon, these may or may not be linked to the Index, but either way are quite interesting.

Edited by p1t1o

Yeah those fueled alot of speculation on the Index. At best the only thing that might have made it is the dual lens stuff. And no one really knows how good or bad thats going to be, the review mentioned really bad god rays/reflections on the Index due to it.

Probably some trouble with HP:

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Yeah those fueled alot of speculation on the Index. At best the only thing that might have made it is the dual lens stuff. And no one really knows how good or bad thats going to be, the review mentioned really bad god rays/reflections on the Index due to it.

Its hard information, Valve own those patents.

True, none of them could be implemented, but its good insight.

Over-speculation or extrapolation? Thats for other folk.

They have already tried those brainwave controller things.

Have they gotten the sensors more receptable yet or do people still need to shave their heads ?

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

They have already tried those brainwave controller things.

Have they gotten the sensors more receptable yet or do people still need to shave their heads ?

So far the problem with this patent technology is, to convince the people to mill into their cranium to plug in the brainwave amplifier.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

So far the problem with this patent technology is, to convince the people to mill into their cranium to plug in the brainwave amplifier.

Lol not a chance on my end.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Lol not a chance on my end.

The Matrix has you already Don :lol:

giphy.gif

100% would get an interface milled into my skull.

I mean, as long as the reviews were good.

Also, I fricken love The Matrix (the movie, not a hypothetical brain prison)

We all live in not-so-hypothetical brain prisons, its called "society" :music_whistling:... In that sense the Matrix was metaphorical.

We all live in not-so-hypothetical brain prisons, its called "society" :music_whistling:... In that sense the Matrix was metaphorical.

no disresepect, but <groooooaaan> lol!

was gonna say "back OT" but theres literally no new news yet, on either headset.

whoa-this-vr-is-so-realistic-you-will-never-be-32019234.png

***EDIT***

Oh, Ive got a question - so I had a Vive pro. The Index has the same resolution, but increased FOV, which means larger viewable area.

What does that mean for perceived resolution on a pixels-per-degree basis? Will it essentially be lower? Or is it something like less "dead space" on the screen?

Edited by p1t1o